how should one trim a large dogs nails (claws)?

how should one trim a large dogs nails (claws)?...
    General Dog Discussions : how should one trim a large dogs nails (claws)?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• how should one trim a large dogs nails (claws)?

how should one trim a large dogs nails (claws)? General Dog Discussions

how should one trim a large dogs nails (claws)? General Dog Discussions
    • Buy large clippers at the pet store. Be very gently with the dog, as some are tempermental about their paws.

Hold the paw firmly and fit the clipper around the nail. Be EXTREMELY careful not to cut the quick, as this will hurt the dog. The quick is the darker part of the nail which can be seen. If the quick is cut it will bleed and the dog will be in pain. Cut above the quick.

If you do happen to cut the quick, there are commercial products you can put on it immediately to stop the bleeding and help heal. I've also heard that cornstarch is a cheap, non-toxic alternative.

• something like a dremel sander, made for dogs. It takes a little gettting used to for the dog (the sould tends to scare some) but it is really the best way. Ask a vet or groomer to do it if you are uncomfortable. It is harder with darker nails because you can't see where to stop before you reach the quick (fleshy part inside) so go slow, trim a little bit at a time FOR GOD'S SAKE, DO NOT GET YOUR DOG DECLAWED!!!!!!!! That is the WORST ADVICE I'VE EVER SEEN! DO YOU KNOW HOW CRUEL THAT IS??? It has devastating psychological effects on the animal. It's like having someone remove your fingertips down to your middle knuckle!!! No decent vet out there would even preform that proceedure!!

• I got my dog used to nail trimming when she was a puppy, so it may be a little harder if your dog is already full grown, but I started out with teaching her "shake". If yours doesn't already know it, have her sit facing you, then take one of her paws and say "shake" while you hold it. Then give her a little treat. Repeat that over and over and gradually start saying "shake" while holding your hand out, instead of taking her paw. She will start to put her paw in your hand to get the treat.

Then, once you've got that down, start having her shake, but hold onto her paw for a while and examine her toes. She will try to take her paw back--just gently but firmly hold onto it for just a second longer so that she knows you will let it go when YOU want to. Then give her a little treat. Work up to longer and longer lengths of time, until you can hold each of her two front paws for 10-15 seconds at a time.

For the back paws, teach her "down" or get her in the belly-rubbing mood. Once she's in the position, hold one of her back paws for a second and repeat as above until she's okay with you holding her foot for a few seconds.

Then introduce the nail clipper. Let her sniff it, then when you're holding her paw, bring the nail clipper up to touch the nails, but don't clip yet. Give her treats to encourage her not to resist. Then clip one nail and give a treat. Repeat with each nail.

It's a slow process, and your dog may never enjoy getting her nails trimmed (mine doesn't), but she will at least keep the struggling to a minimum because she knows she will get a treat at the end. I've even accidentally cut the nail quick and made my dog bleed (I felt terrible!), but she still let me treat the bleeding and finish trimming the other nails.

If you're asking about where the quick is, it's kind of hard to explain without a drawing or diagram. Mainly, the nail has a broad, triangular shape, with a little extra bit on the end. Cut off the little extra bit on the end, and you can even round off the end if you want. If you're still unsure, have a vet or groomer show you.

• you can bye dog nail clippers at most pet supply stores. Be very care full not to get them to short if you do they will bleed quite badly. Some dogs have nails that you can tell were to clip them to if yours dose then the tip of the nail will be light in color and can be cut to were they turn black. if not listen to your dog they will let you now if you are trying to get them to short just be very care full and remember you can always cut more but you can not put it back good luck.

• All dogs should have their nails clipped if they are not naturally filed down by rocks, pavement etc. If a dogs nails grow to long they can start to warp the bones in the paws. This can cause problems for walking and arthritis. Contact a professional and they should be willing to show you how to do it yourself.

• A vet or groomer can do it. Some will show you how for an extra fee. Get a nail clipper from the pet store - you can't use human clippers on them.

With white nails, you can see the quick - it looks pink. Don't cut into that or it will hurt and bleed a lot. You can trim black nails a little bit at a time. You will see the inner core is white and sort of crusty. When the core turns to more of a solid black , you are just about to hit the quick - it will bleed if you cut past that point.

You can get a product called Kwik Stop from a pet store - it's a powder that will stop the bleeding instantly if you do cut too far. It stings a bit, so don't be surprised if the dog objects!

If you don't have that, you can jam the nail into a bar of soap. Doesn't work quite as well. You can also consider using a Dremel tool with a grinding wheel - just don't hold it on too long or friction will make the nail too hot.

One easy way to cut a big dog's nails is to run his sturdy leash through a chain link fence (around the post) and pull him
      up snug against it. You pretty much have to use a choke collar - not to choke him, but to keep him from backing out of the collar.Then, just keep clear of his teeth and trim away. Try to make it as pleasant as possible for him - give him treats, don't cut into the quick, praise him when he's not trying to bite you. We did this with the guard dogs that sometimes stayed at our kennel and no one ever go bit. I prefer not to tranquilize a dog unless absolutely necessary.