Has anyone ever heard of laser nail trimming for dogs?

My poor dog always bleeds when we clip his toenails. We've tried everything. Our vet suggested more frequent clipping but we clip every 2 weeks in the hope the quick will recede but it never does. His nails are long, the quick is long, and it affects his…

My poor dog always bleeds when we clip his toenails. We've tried everything. Our vet suggested more frequent clipping but we clip every 2 weeks in the hope the quick will recede but it never does. His nails are long, the quick is long, and it affects his…...
    General Dog Discussions : Has anyone ever heard of laser nail trimming for dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Has anyone ever heard of laser nail trimming for dogs?

Has anyone ever heard of laser nail trimming for dogs? General Dog Discussions
      My poor dog always bleeds when we clip his toenails. We've tried everything. Our vet suggested more frequent clipping but we clip every 2 weeks in the hope the quick will recede but it never does. His nails are long, the quick is long, and it affects his gait. It is a very painful thing for him to go through and very emotional for him, my husband and I. We all dread when it has to be done. Someone told me that you could use a laser to trim a dog's nails painlessly and the laser would cauterize the nail so it would not bleed. I'm trying to find a veterinarian who does this procedure. I live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. Is this procedure true or did someone just make this up? If this is a " for real " thing it would be the solution I've been looking for.

Has anyone ever heard of laser nail trimming for dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • The laser method is used to cut the nail way back and then seal off the quick from bleeding... sounds expensive as vets also use a hot "iron" to do the same thing. It's kind of like using a soldering iron to cauterize. I'm not sure if they put all dogs under for the procedure but you may want it for yours if she's a spaz.

And thank you for caring enough about your pet to worry about something as simple as nails. Most people don't realize how bad the long term damage from long nails can be on pets!

• I've never heard of anyone doing it with a laser - and there is no need to. You can have the vet sedate the dog, cut his nails way back and cauterize the bleeding. They'll be a little sore for a few days, but it will hurt less than walking on nails so long that they deform his foot and hurt his joints. Then you'll have to keep up with a weekly trimming with a nail clipper or a Dremel grinder.