I found 1 of my dogs nails on the floor!?!?!?!?

I was cleaning up and I noticed what I thought was a small rock, but when I picked it up I noticed it was one of my dogs nails. I then inspected both of my dogs nails, and notice that my male lost it but he wasn't bleeding. He still has a small nub left.…

I was cleaning up and I noticed what I thought was a small rock, but when I picked it up I noticed it was one of my dogs nails. I then inspected both of my dogs nails, and notice that my male lost it but he wasn't bleeding. He still has a small nub left.…...
    General Dog Discussions : I found 1 of my dogs nails on the floor!?!?!?!?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I found 1 of my dogs nails on the floor!?!?!?!?

I found 1 of my dogs nails on the floor!?!?!?!? General Dog Discussions
      I was cleaning up and I noticed what I thought was a small rock, but when I picked it up I noticed it was one of my dogs nails. I then inspected both of my dogs nails, and notice that my male lost it but he wasn't bleeding. He still has a small nub left. I also noticed that my female dog has some cracks in her nails so I'm not sure if this is normal for dogs, and I just never noticed it before. They are both inside dogs, but they are still pretty active and they do get to run around outside. But, 90% of their day is inside sleeping on the kitchen floor. I feed they an all natural AMERICAN made dog food, and they don't get any table scraps. Has anyone had this similar issue before? The vet is closed right now so I can't ask them.

I found 1 of my dogs nails on the floor!?!?!?!? General Dog Discussions
    • It's not normal, no. Do you trim your dog's nails? Nails usually only break when they are too long.

Get them to the vet and have the vet show you how to trim the nails. If you aren't comfortable trimming them yourself, and many people aren't, you can have any groomer or vet trim them going forward. They'll need trims about once a month for most dogs.

• Sometimes, through play or fighting, dogs' nails may break off. The cracked nails may or may not indicate a deficiency of some sort. I would phone the vet sometime this week and ask about the cracked nails.

• It is probably just because the dogs walk on the hard wood floors and over time it wears the nails down and after a while they get weak and a small amount of pressure exerted on them could cause them to break off entirely but this is normal and a very common dog issue.

• I have had this and it was due to deficiency in amino acids,in my dogs nails,use Pedi paws if you can't trim them yourself, its easy to use,they don't get cut,They have it at Walmart,for about 12 bucks. Try a vitamin supplement called ,Pet Tabs which you can get there to.because if you get them at the vet Pet tabs will be way more in price.