Tips on trimming nails Please?

I have 2 mini dachshunds. They are rescues just got them 2 months ago. Anyways, the vet usually trims the nails when I take them in but Im charged a $20 per dog. I would like to start trimming them on my own. The female is scared to death of the…

I have 2 mini dachshunds. They are rescues just got them 2 months ago. Anyways, the vet usually trims the nails when I take them in but Im charged a $20 per dog. I would like to start trimming them on my own. The female is scared to death of the…...
    General Dog Discussions : Tips on trimming nails Please?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tips on trimming nails Please?

Tips on trimming nails Please? General Dog Discussions
      I have 2 mini dachshunds. They are rescues just got them 2 months ago. Anyways, the vet usually trims the nails when I take them in but Im charged a $20 per dog. I would like to start trimming them on my own. The female is scared to death of the clippers. She bites me when I even get them close to her. I have tried doing it when she was asleep but she wakes up. She had been abused before being rescued so Im thinking thats why she acts like this. Her brother lets me trim them but I dont trim much and they are getting a bit long. He is scared of the clippers, shakes and pees everywhere when he sees them. I just dont know what to do about it anymore. When they act like this at the vet it embarrasses me.

The nails are black. How can I tell when Im getting close to the quick or not? The males nails seem hallow inside but also have white chalky stuff. Im just so scared but I need to learn how to do it. Thanks ahead of time for any help

Tips on trimming nails Please? General Dog Discussions
    • I personally recommend using a dremel tool with a sanding band on it. It is much easier to use with black nails and greatly reduces the risk of hitting the quick. Just make sure you take the time to get the dogs use to it (mainly the noise) before you actually use it on them.

• When I trim my dog's nails I usually just take off the tip of the curved portion with the clippers and file them down. I bought a Pedi Paw, but those things aren't the best with nails. It shouldn't embarass you, many dogs are scared of the nail clippers...believe you me, mine are. They're like children, once they get used to it...they'll handle it like pros!
      Good Luck!

• Hi
      A good way to learn how to do it, is to ask your vet to show you how! Hopefully they will hehe.
      To help them get over their fear of the clippers don't try and force the issue that will just make it worse. One of our dogs (a german sheppard) who had also been abused had the same problem and for a few weeks we would bring the clippers near her and just pet him and let her sniff the clippers. After a few weeks she learnt that they weren't anything scary and now 2 years later she has no problem with her nails being trimmed. If they are still a handful and don't want to sit still get a family member or a friend to help you out (this is a good idea regardless).
      To make sure you don;t hurt them, get someone to shine a flashlight on their nails and hopefully you should be able to see where the vain/nerve (can;t remember which it is haha) ends. That way you can make sure you don't cut to close. Start out by only taking a very tiny bit off, until gyou gt more practice. Even then only take a little bit off and do it once a month or so. And don'y be embarrassed at the vets they are used to it! Lol.
      Goodluck!! :)

• Whatever tool you may be using, you have to condition the dogs first.
      Touching, playing, examining their feet, paws, nails daily.....and rewarding good behaviour..
      Get them used to the human touch.
      P.S. front paws are ALWAYS more sensitive.