Toe nail trimming, and aggressiveness. What should I do?

I need to cut my dogs toe-nails drastically, and he gets aggressive when i try to do so. What should i do?

I need to cut my dogs toe-nails drastically, and he gets aggressive when i try to do so. What should i do? ...
    General Dog Discussions : Toe nail trimming, and aggressiveness. What should I do?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Toe nail trimming, and aggressiveness. What should I do?

Toe nail trimming, and aggressiveness. What should I do? General Dog Discussions
      I need to cut my dogs toe-nails drastically, and he gets aggressive when i try to do so. What should i do?

Toe nail trimming, and aggressiveness. What should I do? General Dog Discussions
    • muzzle him,, or take him to a groomer,, His nails should have been being cut WEEKLY since you got him... you will have to start my allowing him to handle his feet.. and get used to that before you can ever think of clipping the nails..

• Muzzle her and have someone hold her while you clip her nails, if this doesn't work you can try and see if a groomer may have any luck with her and if that doesn't work then take her to the vet to have it done.

• If they are really bad, I would take the dog to the Vet or a groomer and pay a pro to have it done. They are used to dealing with any type of situation. After his nails are groomed properly, I would make sure that you keep up with it on a regular basis. You can start by desensitizing him with touching and playing with his feet often. I personally like the dremel tool vs. a clippers. But if it is a small breed, you can just use a toenail clippers if the nails aren't too thick.

• Put a muzzle on him to be safe, then clip them, very slow. Don't be sneaky, don't rush it. We want to make the process a good 5 or 6 minute process instead of a quick clip clip we're done job because this is the perfect time to train him against aggression. I'd order a dominant dog collar off of Leerburg's website, when he shows aggression whilst being groomed/nails trimmed or whatever, use the dominant dog collar as the instructions suggest. It works for me. Good luck! I'll put a link in my "source" box.

• Take him to PetSmart and let them clip the nails - costs about 10.

In the future - when you take your dog to the vet for his shots/check up etc. Ask the vet to clip his nails while you are there. Usually costs about 8-10.

My dog hated to get his nails clipped and I'm just not very good at it or fast.

Well worth the money to just drop by PetSmart and get them to do it. Then you can buy him a treat on the way out.

• you use a muzzle if he/she is touchy with their feet start in the evenings just sitting an rubbing their feet without doing anything one paw at a time of course just to get them used to their feet being touched make sure you have Quick Stop in case you hit the quick also if this doesn't work for you I'm sure your local Veterinarian does it or a Pet Store

• He's AFRAID! Deal with that. Visit this site to learn about how dogs can be helped to feel more comfortable with things that bother them.

www.fearfuldogs.com

Do a search on youtube for a film by Canines in Action about Tucker's nail trim. It shows how in one session a dog was helped to feel better about having his feet handled and nails trimmed. If you've ever cut the quick and hurt the dog you've got to take that into consideration as well.