My buddy's Pug is EXTREMELY hyperactive and he needs a bath and nail trim...how do we do it without bleeding?

The groomer is out of the question. Last time he was taken in they called an hour later and said it was no use on the bath or the nail trim. He's had trouble with sedation at the vet before so my friend is weary about doing that but the dog desperately…

My buddy's Pug is EXTREMELY hyperactive and he needs a bath and nail trim...how do we do it without bleeding?

The groomer is out of the question. Last time he was taken in they called an hour later and said it was no use on the bath or the nail trim. He's had trouble with sedation at the vet before so my friend is weary about doing that but the dog desperately…...
    General Dog Discussions : My buddy's Pug is EXTREMELY hyperactive and he needs a bath and nail trim...how do we do it without bleeding?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My buddy's Pug is EXTREMELY hyperactive and he needs a bath and nail trim...how do we do it without bleeding?

My buddy's Pug is EXTREMELY hyperactive and he needs a bath and nail trim...how do we do it without bleeding? General Dog Discussions
      The groomer is out of the question. Last time he was taken in they called an hour later and said it was no use on the bath or the nail trim. He's had trouble with sedation at the vet before so my friend is weary about doing that but the dog desperately needs his nails trimmed and a bath. What can we do? There are three of us and I know it will take all three.
      Trust me, if this were my dog it wouldn't behave like this at all. But this dog has been spoiled rotten from day one and my buddy thinks all the horrible behaviors he has are adorable. It's ridiculous and frustrating. Because he's so poorly behaved he has to stay in a pen all day. It's like 3x7 so it's not SMALL but he's not getting enough exercise. Then that just makes him behave even worse. It's a never ending cycle. If I could afford to send him to a doggie boot camp I would. His behavior is WAY out of my league as far as correction especially when he'll continue to spoil the dog. I know he needs obidience. I know it's his owner's fault. There's just nothing I can do about that. I need suggestions about what I can do.

My buddy's Pug is EXTREMELY hyperactive and he needs a bath and nail trim...how do we do it without bleeding? General Dog Discussions
    • Find a good groomer who has experience working with dogs that don't behave well. A good groomer will muzzle the dog if it's a problem and still do their job. Otherwise, tell your friend to re-home the dog if he can't train it to behave, bathe it by himself(it's a Pug for God's sake, I can bath my 100 pound Shepherd mix by myself and he hates baths) and trim it's nails(again, I can do this with my Shepherd and he hates this as well).

• Get in control of your dog to start. Stop spoiling him. Walk him, obedience train, and teach him tricks. Get him submissive so he will listen. Find a good training book or google information.

• Go back in time, and start training him to accept grooming.

Oh wait, you can't...

Take him to the vet for a nail trim, then, right now, start training him to accept grooming.

Play with his feet, brush him, etc. Reward good behaviour while doing this, correct bad behaviour.

My dog doesn't like to be bathed or groomed, but he tolerates it since, 1) I trained him, and 2) I don't let him get away with anything else!

• I have had many dogs in my life, but none that move and groove like our latest silky terrier who will not sit still. I finally put him in the shower with me. There is no where for him to run away to, or jump out of. I have a shower hose, so I just point it at him as he runs around the shower stall. I soap him up then hose him off. I can't even dry him off, he runs around the house till dry.
      I have to take him to the vet for nail clipping. The vet assistance's are very good at holding him without hurting him so the vet can clip his nails

• Usually with an active dog to trim the nails if needed you can wrap the dog in a large towel to hold secure and put one foot out at a time and trim the nails.You may also need to cover his eyes so he can't see what you are aiming to do.The bath should be easy.Put some water in the tub and then put him in and use a cup to put water on him .Then shampoo him up.Rinse in the same manner.Some dogs are frightened by the sound of running water so do this when he is not in the room.You may need to leave a collar or harness on him when you bathe him so you can hold onto him.Pugs have those short slippery coats.All the time you are doing these things talk gently to the dog and reassure him.Of course depending upon the pug's attitude you may need to speak very firmly and say stay still.Do not stop halfway ,complete all the tasks and then reward the dog with a treat.

• First, I would start obedience training asap. I like clicker training which is a positive approach and fun for the dog. Here is a a video that demonstrates how to get started http://www.puppiesanddogsinfo.com/episode-11-introducing-your-puppy-to-clicker-training/
      Second, it sounds like your buddy's Pug thinks he is the 'pack leader'. I would extablish yourself as the leader. http://www.puppiesanddogsinfo.com/episode-5-how-to-be-your-dogs-leader/
      Last, I would start the nail trimming by getting your Pug used to grooming in stages. Has he ever been on a groom table. Start there, Feed him some treats on the groom table. Then start lifting the paw up and gently hold it till he stops fighting it. Feed treats... etc. Take it a step at a time.
      Good Luck