HELP!!!! My dogs HATE having their nails trimmed and I don't know what to do!?

I have 2 Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers. They're brother/sister and are 3 years old. We have had them since they were 8 weeks. They are TERRIBLE at the groomer's and the vet's and have been kicked out of multiple places. Their nails are ridiculously long,…

I have 2 Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers. They're brother/sister and are 3 years old. We have had them since they were 8 weeks. They are TERRIBLE at the groomer's and the vet's and have been kicked out of multiple places. Their nails are ridiculously long,…...
    General Dog Discussions : HELP!!!! My dogs HATE having their nails trimmed and I don't know what to do!?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• HELP!!!! My dogs HATE having their nails trimmed and I don't know what to do!?

HELP!!!! My dogs HATE having their nails trimmed and I don't know what to do!? General Dog Discussions
      I have 2 Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers. They're brother/sister and are 3 years old. We have had them since they were 8 weeks. They are TERRIBLE at the groomer's and the vet's and have been kicked out of multiple places. Their nails are ridiculously long, and we need to trim them, but we don't know how to do that in a way that they will cooperate with. Even one of the vets we went to couldn't trim their nails because they are so ill behaved. We've tried nail clippers and even have the PediPaws thing they advertise on TV. They are actually really sweet dogs, they just HATE being groomed. HELP!!! What can I do?!?!

HELP!!!! My dogs HATE having their nails trimmed and I don't know what to do!? General Dog Discussions
    • You can take them to a groomer, but if that is to costly for you then you could always call a friend or family member to help retain/hold your dog or keep it steady while you trim their nails.

• My dog is like that too.He HATES getting his nails trimmed and he has gotten kicked out of lots of places.He will not even let me brush him without putting up a fight (and he is a Shih Tzu and is ment to require a lot of grooming).But i figured out a way to keep the nails down a little bit and it doesnt cost you anything !Whenever they go out for their walks always stay on the path.Do not go on the grass.I read about it somewhere that walking on concrete will help keep their nails down a bit.Hope this helps it sort of worked my dog.And if you get to go to the groomers again bring a treat they LOVE.One they rarely get.If you do they ll be to distracted by the treat to worry about their nails !Anyway good luck !:)

• The longer the nail, the longer the quick. Most likely, the vet will need to anesthetize the dogs in order to be able to cut into the quick, then cauterize. After that, in theory, the quicks will recede a little. Trimming every 2 weeks will keep the quicks from being overly long. I had to do this with one of my dogs but his quicks just kept growing. His nails were never as short as they should have been. Every 6 weeks he was knocked out so the vet techs could trim them (not cutting the quick).
      I tried a dremel but he fled from the sound and would not come into the room if it was just sitting on the coffee table. The heat generated by the dremel is supposed to cook the end of the quick so it dies back a little. This dog was long gone by the time I learned the trick of holding the dog with its belly supported by your legs but his legs hanging in mid-air. You hold the dog's head and back steady while someone else trims the nails. To do my current large, footshy dog singlehandedly, I hoist him onto a table where he is so worried about the altitude that he doesn't fight the trimmer.

• You can slowly get them used to the feeling of their feet getting touched. When you pet them, just slowly and gradually touch and start picking up their feet, SLOWLY. This process can take a few days or weeks with some dogs. When you start clipping nails, only clip one nail a day and then eventually you can clip all nails at once. You can also try using a kong and filling it with something appealing to your dog and letting them focus on that while clipping their nails. Remember to take things really slow when you're getting your dogs used to this . In the end, all the patience will be worth it

• 1st of all the vet can give them a sedative if the nails are Too longs to get them short also you are the pack leader so take charge in the same place every time sit down with each one separate and play with their paws and also have the trimmers with you and introduce them slowly so they know it wont hurt them and I usually do mine at bath time every week so now its a routine and they are used to it. just tell them in a firm voice that they are ok and that they need to be still do not give in trust me they will surrender and get used to it:) They don't have black nails so you should be fine with trimming yourself just don't go past the pink:)

• Try a new vet. When you call to make the appointment, explain what goes on and ask if they can sedate your dogs. After the nails are back to a more normal state, walk them on the sidewalk daily. If you see the nails getting long again, walk further. Also would recommend working with a trainer. They can show you how to recondition the dog to think that nail clipping is acceptable. Basically you can start handling the where they feel comfortable - a shoulder or a leg - and praise & treat if they stay calm. When they are well used to that, move your hands a little closer to the feet and praise & treat when they are calm. Also get in the habit of leaving the nail clipper laying around the house so they get used to seeing it. Then you can slowly move it closer to the dogs and praise & treat when they are calm, etc. Good luck!

• It could be the way you are holding their paws when you try to cut their nails. You should pick up the leg and where it bends, bend it in the direction it naturally goes. The bottom of the foot should be facing the stomach. This way they don't see it so they aren't as stressed and it's more comfortable for them. With their back feet, just bring the leg out behind them.
      They could also just be afraid of the clippers. Especially if you are stressed out while trying to cut them. You can try showing them the clippers and giving them a treat. Do this a few times. Then simply touch the clippers to the foot and giving a treat. Do this a few times as well. Then resting the clippers on the foot. Then repeating these steps with the foot in your hand. Lots of treats during all of this. This teaches them that it is a good thing to have the clippers out. Try and stay relaxed as well because they feed off your energy.