do dogs shed toe nails..i'm finding nail casings all over the house?

I had the vets office trim my cockers nails last month..ive been finding like empty nail casings everywhere..they seem partially hollow..the dog has all his nails and does not seem to be chewing or anything..just these darn empty casings and its about…

I had the vets office trim my cockers nails last month..ive been finding like empty nail casings everywhere..they seem partially hollow..the dog has all his nails and does not seem to be chewing or anything..just these darn empty casings and its about…...
    General Dog Discussions : do dogs shed toe nails..i'm finding nail casings all over the house?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• do dogs shed toe nails..i'm finding nail casings all over the house?

do dogs shed toe nails..i'm finding nail casings all over the house? General Dog Discussions
      I had the vets office trim my cockers nails last month..ive been finding like empty nail casings everywhere..they seem partially hollow..the dog has all his nails and does not seem to be chewing or anything..just these darn empty casings and its about eight..two more to go?..whats up with his nails? is he shedding them?

do dogs shed toe nails..i'm finding nail casings all over the house? General Dog Discussions
    • No, they're breaking off which is painful for your dog. Either the vet didn't trim them short enough or they grew back quickly. Either but nail clippers and do them at home more often, or take him to a grooming salon like petco or petsmart that take walk in nail trimmings and get that or nail grinding. Again, it's painfully and unhealthy for your dogs nails to be breaking off, dogs don't shed nails.

• Dogs and cats shed their outter nails. Your vet did nothing wrong and went to school for 8 years, he/she can handle the nail trimming. It will simply happen about once or twice a year. My cat just finished shedding hers and my dog is about half way there. I've had pets all my life and gone to many different vets (Because of moving). They have all told me it is nothing to worry about and it is not causing any discomfort to my pets. I know it's annoying finding them all. Just be grateful you don't have my jerk or a cat who strategically leaves them on my pillow or the bathroom floor where I am most likely to be barefoot.