Dog with a broken nail??

Ok, my dog somehow broke his back leg paw nail, and I need help!! it's cracked along the side going into his paw. he is a jack russel terrier and he is shaking from the pain. Is there anything we can do at home to help with the pain?? what can we do to…

Dog with a broken nail??

Ok, my dog somehow broke his back leg paw nail, and I need help!! it's cracked along the side going into his paw. he is a jack russel terrier and he is shaking from the pain. Is there anything we can do at home to help with the pain?? what can we do to…...
    General Dog Discussions : Dog with a broken nail??...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dog with a broken nail??

Dog with a broken nail?? General Dog Discussions
      Ok, my dog somehow broke his back leg paw nail, and I need help!! it's cracked along the side going into his paw. he is a jack russel terrier and he is shaking from the pain. Is there anything we can do at home to help with the pain?? what can we do to help him?? please, any information will halp, Thank you!!

Dog with a broken nail??

Dog with a broken nail?? General Dog Discussions
    • Take him to the emergency vet (regular vets probably won't be open today) You want to get him on some antibiotics (if it's an open wound exposed to the environment, it'll most likely get infected)

If it's possible, take off the nail. Clean off the blood, put neosporin on it, and put a sock over it (make sure it's tight enough that it won't fall off, but not too tight that it'll cut off circulation). Make sure your dog doesn't take it off.

• Poor thing. Sounds like you need professional help with this one. Sorry... I can't give you any advise other than not to give him any kind of pain killer unless you know it is safe for animals. I know a lady who once gave her dog a mild pain killer they have in Greece and she accidentally killed the poor thing.

Hope he feels better.

• Broken or Bleeding Nail

If the nail is not bleeding and is causing the dog pain because it is in the way then it needs to be removed. Only remove it yourself it is loose and you feel comfortable doing so.

You may need to have someone help you hold your pet or muzzle your dog. Grasp the broken nail with a pair of very clean pliers and tug.

Once the loose piece is removed, your veterinarian may prescribe an antibiotic as a precaution to help avoid an infection within the exposed nail bed. Nail bed infections are very painful and can be extremely difficult to cure, sometimes requiring months of soaking and special antibiotics, and sometimes even surgery.

If it does not come away easily then seek veterinary help.

If the nail is bleeding because your dog tears the nail, cracks a nail, or if you have trimmed the nail too short, restrain him and elevate the affected limb above the body if possible by rolling your pet onto its back. Your dog will be in a lot of pain and may limp or carry the paw in the air.

Try applying dry cornstarch, a dry teabag, or pushing the nail into a bar of soap. Any of these plus keeping your dog as quiet as possible will tend to slow or stop the bleeding.

Apply a clean cloth against the nail. Cotton wool can be used in this circumstance as the fine fibers aid clotting.

Apply pressure for at least 5 minutes. Nails tend to bleed for long periods of time. Do not remove the pad until bleeding stops.

Apply a bandage if the nail tends to start bleeding as soon as the pad is removed or your dog is licking the paw excessively.

Nails may crack or even be pulled totally off. This will usually be painful and bleed, since the nail bed from which the nail grows contains many blood vessels and nerves.

The very best way to stop a bleeding nail is to use styptic powder made especially for clotting a bleeding nail. There are two common ingredients that are used in styptic powder: silver nitrate and ferric subsulfate. Silver nitrate will sting whereas ferrous subsulfate will not.

Have the vet check the toe.

• You could immobilize it by bandaging it until the vet's office opens tomorrow. I can't see any reason to incur such an expense when bandaging it will alleviate the pain. This happened to my mother's dog a few months ago and we cut it down as far as we could without going into the quick and she licked it until it fell off. It was painful for her too but she seemed fine. If you're not used to cutting his nails, leave it for the professionals to do, tomorrow.

• My JRT has just recovered from a broken claw taken about 8wks. Your dog will need pain relief and antibiotics from vet, this is a very painful condition also infection can get into the claw, if in about 2wks after starting meds if there is not much change and the dogs paw still swollen and painful will need to have claw removed ( it will grow back, my dogs claw just starting to come through now) otherwise the treatment will go on longer and in the long run be more expensive also your dog might catch the claw and do more damage to it. Hope this has helped.