Pomeranian dog ate a fish bone

I have a year and 7 month old Pomeranian. Last Wednesday my husband buried fish guts in our yard to use as fertilizer. Friday when I got home from work Oakley (my pom) had one solid stool and it kind of had a white color to one end, I thought nothing of…

I have a year and 7 month old Pomeranian. Last Wednesday my husband buried fish guts in our yard to use as fertilizer. Friday when I got home from work Oakley (my pom) had one solid stool and it kind of had a white color to one end, I thought nothing of…...
    General Dog Discussions : Pomeranian dog ate a fish bone...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Pomeranian dog ate a fish bone

Pomeranian dog ate a fish bone General Dog Discussions
      I have a year and 7 month old Pomeranian. Last Wednesday my husband buried fish guts in our yard to use as fertilizer. Friday when I got home from work Oakley (my pom) had one solid stool and it kind of had a white color to one end, I thought nothing of it. Saturday when we got home from work, Oakley had diarrhea and threw up more than one time. He had been the house so no way for him to get out and get the bones that day. Sunday we went to a wedding and when we got home he had done the same thing, but this time more diarrhea than vomit. Last night Oakley woke me up ever hour on the hour to go outside and have diarrhea. Today when I got home he had thrown up once, and diarrhea 3 times. I am a Nurse so I could tell the last (and freshest) bowel movement had blood in it. I immediately took him to the vet. The vet gave Oak some Zofran (for nausea), Imodium (for diarrhea), and then he also gave him an antibiotic. Now don't get me wrong I love my vet! He has never steered us wrong before! My husband is 100% convinced that Oakley has a fish bone stuck. If Oakley's vet's treatment does not work, is there anything aside from surgery we could do? I am also wondering how likely it is that a fish bone is stuck? Could this all be from just eating raw fish?

Thank you for your help!
      -AP

P.S. through all of this Oakley has not had any loss of appetite.

Pomeranian dog ate a fish bone General Dog Discussions
    • Hello and sorry about the delayed reply and about your pet,

In such incidents I would strongly suggest that you take your dog to a Veterinary hospital not a small clinic because at the moment the most important thing would be an X-Ray, I am sure that no more explanation is needed on this part since you are a nurse.

Plus his gastrointestinal tract may have got scratched therefore he may also need a special soft diet like soup but please consult this with a Vet.

All in a wrap I strongly suggest that you take him to a Vet Hospital equipped with X-Ray and endoscopy devices.

Please do not forget to update us with his condition.

Wish you the best luck.
      Ali.