wetting and soiling in the house

We have only had our terrier cross for one week but I need some help with this problem. He is from a shelter, picked up as a stray. He is 4. He is placid, good with people and our two cats. We brought him a crate which he doesn't take much interest in…

We have only had our terrier cross for one week but I need some help with this problem. He is from a shelter, picked up as a stray. He is 4. He is placid, good with people and our two cats. We brought him a crate which he doesn't take much interest in…...
    General Dog Discussions : wetting and soiling in the house...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• wetting and soiling in the house

wetting and soiling in the house General Dog Discussions
      We have only had our terrier cross for one week but I need some help with this problem.

He is from a shelter, picked up as a stray. He is 4. He is placid, good with people and our two cats. We brought him a crate which he doesn't take much interest in even though we put toys and his food in. I know to leave the door open on the crate at first.

The problem is he is wetting in the house mainly when we are not there. When we are at home I have been taking him into the garden every hour and he does wee's and poo's. I then will make a fuss off him and reward him. I was only out for 10 mis today and he wet in the house. He has been having two long walks each day. He sleeps on the floor by our bed at night. I have been out today for no more then an hour and he has wet 3 times.

Am I expecting too much too soon?

wetting and soiling in the house General Dog Discussions
    • Hello,

First thank you for rescuing a dog from shelter.

Ok I have to say that teaching an adult dog to not wetting a specific place would take a longer time and needs a little bit of patience.

There are different techniques like the newspaper method.

Personally I tested this method on a 6 months old puppy and it was successful.

First you should put newspaper in a certain area and every 2-3 days remove one of the newspaper pieces till the last piece which the crate is located on.

An important note about this method is that you should address a wrong behavior like wetting inside your house right away, otherwise dogs would not understand for what reason you are angry about.

Another reason maybe related to separation-anxiety. Sometimes dogs are worried that their owner leave them (based on their previous experiences) so when you leave the house he goes in this kind of mindset.

All in all I believe the best method would be addressing the wrong behavior ASAP.

And I always recommend to all the users to not forget to make a "NO" word or sound between you and your dog. Personally I would prefer a strong sound like "SHHHH..." instead of "NO" because these kind of noises would distract them from what they are doing and have a better influence.

Please keep us updated regarding his progress and feel free to ask your questions.

The Best Of luck.

• Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

On a positive note Ringo is now happy to go into the crate. He is relaxed in there and I only leave him in there when I go out.

We are still getting the wet accidents in the house. I have brought training pads which he has used, I then move them nearer to the door but he has still been wetting in his usual places. He has also wet upstairs and in the kitchen ( I keep the bedroom doors shut now) He goes out for lots of walks and we take him out into the garden every hr or so and he will do a wee!!

Please help!

• sarahlouise3 wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

On a positive note Ringo is now happy to go into the crate. He is relaxed in there and I only leave him in there when I go out.

We are still getting the wet accidents in the house. I have brought training pads which he has used, I then move them nearer to the door but he has still been wetting in his usual places. He has also wet upstairs and in the kitchen ( I keep the bedroom doors shut now) He goes out for lots of walks and we take him out into the garden every hr or so and he will do a wee!!

Please help!
      Dear Sarah,

Great, progress is always great.

Regarding the wetting

First please note that there are two main keys for dog training , the first and the most important one is patience and the second one is the instant correction in case of bad behaviours.

And if he is choosing the usual/previous locations to wet this might be due of the odors in these spots. And to solve this issue I would recommend using the commercial products which are made to remove such odors and feromons.
      I believe the you would be able to purchase them from your local pet store.

Good luck and please keep us updated.