Help me choose a breed!!!?

- I want a large breed dog • About 60 pounds to 90 pounds as an adult.- I have a cat and two small dogs (A Beagle and a Jack Russell Terrier mix) • A breed with a low prey drive would be ideal.- I have a large dog (Pit Bull) • A breed…

- I want a large breed dog • About 60 pounds to 90 pounds as an adult.- I have a cat and two small dogs (A Beagle and a Jack Russell Terrier mix) • A breed with a low prey drive would be ideal.- I have a large dog (Pit Bull) • A breed…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Help me choose a breed!!!?...

• Help me choose a breed!!!?

Help me choose a breed!!!? Dog Breed Discussions
      - I want a large breed dog • About 60 pounds to 90 pounds as an adult.- I have a cat and two small dogs (A Beagle and a Jack Russell Terrier mix) • A breed with a low prey drive would be ideal.- I have a large dog (Pit Bull) • A breed that is not known for dog aggression would be ideal.- I want a dog that would enjoy both lounging on the couch and going for a long walk. • A medium energy breed would be ideal.- I want a breed that is known for being attached to their owner, a dog that would follow me around and be more of a 'one person dog', but not be aggressive or hostile towards strangers.- I want an intelligent breed that is easily house broken. - I work from home so i will be able to give this Dog 2 hours of walking everyday, along with play time for hours a day. - I have owned a Mastiff, three Pit Bulls, a Doberman/Rottweiler mix, and a Bloodhound with in my lifetime. •All of them were trained properly, well behaved, and i owned each of them for 10+ years.- I have two nephews that visit my house so this Dog must be tolerant of children. • My nephews are well behaved and do not pull, yank, hang on, bite, etc... dogs or any other animal for that matter.- I have a medium sized, fenced in back yard.- I have a seven bedroom home.- I want a PUREBRED dog.- Please don't suggest any Retrievers... I am not a fan of them.I will do extensive research about any breed you suggest, i do not want to go to a shelter or humane society for my new buddy, this time around i want to go to a reputable breeder.Can some one suggest a breed that you believe would be right for me?Labrador Retrievers and Golden Retrievers are BOTH Retrievers obviously, i said NO retrievers. Border Collies are a medium sized breed, i want a large breed dog.I have considered a Greyhound, but the prey drive has me reluctant to consider this breed anymore.I own an American Pit Bull Terrier and they are prone to dog aggression, i do not want to own two at the same time.. My American Pit Bull Terrier is tolerant of other dogs, but most aren't. It's in their genetics.Apparently no one read my question. - Border Collies DO not, or are not suppose to go over 45-50 pounds and i do NOT want a Retriever.Unfortunately the people that suggested the wonderful German Shepherd breed spelled it wrong. - My neighbor has two of them, i have considered this breed but i decided i would pass for a few reasons. All of the other suggestions that people gave i will do my research on these breeds and see what i come up with.

Help me choose a breed!!!? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Have you considered a Greyhound? Most folks don't realize that they're large couch potatoes that really don't need more exercise than any other dog.Most Greys can live quite contentedly with other pets. Even if you don't want to adopt through a rescue (although I sure do wish you'd consider that, too), it would be a great idea to contact a rescue to get a great education about the breed.Best wishes!

• How about a border collie? They're a pretty large dog but probably won't fight with your pitbull. You should get one that's a girl if your pit bull is a boy though. They are energetic but with that much walking and playing it would be fine. They're known to be intelligent and loyal and they're good with kids as well. Plus they're pretty. PS I like the guy who put labrador, when it's a retriver. Lol.

• You can't go wrong with labs, they're the best dogs ever :)They're loving, loyal, great with kids and other animals, intelligent and big. They're kinda spazzy the first two years, but if you give them the right amount of attention and discipline they make wonderful pets.

• I don't know how you feel about fluff, but Newfoundlands would fit a lot of those criteria. Great Danes as well, but that's a little larger than your range. A Cane Corso might be good if you prefer shorter hair, or a Bernese Mountain Dog if you prefer longer.

• I second the retired Greyhound and a smaller Bernese Mountain Dog or Swissie would be two others to consider as they are usually mellow & good w/ kids. I am also a fan of German Shorthaired Pointers.

• Except for the 'intelligent' part, you described my Irish Setter.(No, they're not stupid ... they just learn things in their own sweet time)Mine is a total lamb. He loves his walks, he loves his naps. He loves ... everyone and everything. The biggest challenge is keeping up with the coat.

• Great danes are great with kids!They're loyal, gentle, and loves other animals and wont fightThey are protective too!They are big dogs but despite the fact of them being big, they're perfect family dogs and are very intelligent! I love them, and they are passionate!

• German Shepard..but oh, try to find a white one because they're really pretty and you can just train and raise him/her up "right" and there probably won't be any aggression and will be tolerant of small children if around them when he/she is young:)

• It's hard to find a dog with all of those traits but here are a few with some:English MastiffGreat DaneBull Arab (Not yet a recognised breed but wonderful nature)Alapaha Blue Blood BulldogBullmastiffWeimaraner I know not all meet your requirments but address at least one.

• Would you go for a small Great Dane? They fit everything you've said except for the size factor. If you get a small Dane, you could get away with it being under 120 lbs. Not often but not rare either. They don't need that much exercise and love sleeping on the couch. Some are pretty bright but others aren't (I guess this is general with most breeds). Try this test out. It's pretty extensive and will help you! http://www.showdog.com/breeds/breedselector.aspx

• As I was reading your question I was naturally thinking about my dog (an english bulldog) now I know they can be prone to problems but with proper care(and it sounds like you are a experienced and great pet owner)they can be as healthy as any dog. Anyway my dog is every one of the things on your list. I am a nanny and I take him with me to work everyday. The kids love him and vice versa. He is extremely tolerant! He follows me around and is very much a companion dog. I rarely put him on a leash, he leaps into the car as soon as I open his door. He waits patiently while I'm gone. No prey drive. Very social, loves the dog park. Loves everyone!! Doesn't make a lot of noise. Loves naps but can't wait to go for a walk or even to the store. All around the best dog I've ever had. And my family has had a lot! I highly reccomend spaying/neutering as young as possible. My dog is almost 2 and doesn't lift his leg, isn't aggressive in the slightest bit, and doesn't hump things! Lol. I hope this helps.. they are a great breed.