Are pit bulls nice dogs?

Our family is judging for some kind of dog show, at our county fair. I have a list of the breeds. The majority of them are pit bulls. I've never had a pit bull, just German Shepherds, so I want to know if everything people say about pit bulls is true.

Are pit bulls nice dogs?

Our family is judging for some kind of dog show, at our county fair. I have a list of the breeds. The majority of them are pit bulls. I've never had a pit bull, just German Shepherds, so I want to know if everything people say about pit bulls is true....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Are pit bulls nice dogs?...

• Are pit bulls nice dogs?

Are pit bulls nice dogs? Dog Breed Discussions
      Our family is judging for some kind of dog show, at our county fair. I have a list of the breeds. The majority of them are pit bulls. I've never had a pit bull, just German Shepherds, so I want to know if everything people say about pit bulls is true.

Are pit bulls nice dogs?

Are pit bulls nice dogs? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I think they're great dogs. All I have ever met have been great with kids, affectionate, and just all around good dogs. If they are properly raised and socialized, they make some of the best pets around, in my opinion.

• They are *generally* nice dogs. Like any animal their upbringing reflects their personality. They are high energy and people friendly. They do not always get along with other pets.

• The fact that pit bulls are naturally agressive is true- just as it is with every other dog. Pit BUlls tend to be extra agressive, but I think people think this because the structure of their jaws makes their bites hurt more.Some pit bulls may be overly agressive, but I think they're fine. Just don't give him any reason to be angered.

• they're like any other dog. In fact, poodles are more agressive than pitbulls. You wouldn't have ever thought twice about a poodles temperment would you? It all depends on how they're raised.

• It really depends on the dog. Thats for all breeds too. Pit Bulls can be very sweet, loving, family dogs when given the proper love and attention. They are a powerful breed and many times end up in irresponsible hands and you end up hearing all these horror stories all over the media. If you really wanna know more, email me and I would be happy to share with you. I own a Pit Bull, but before I adopted my Pittie I did a ton of research on them. So if you wanna chat just contact me. Take care.

• very sweet animals.....unfortunately the media has given them a very bad name. Once you meet a pit you'll understand! I have one and he is wonderful, he is my 6 year olds best friend.

• It depends on breeding, genetics, and their environment.Dogs behaviors are a direct result of their environment... Likely if you're judging show dogs, they're going to have FABULOUS temperaments, because a pitbull without a good temperament is DQ'd from shows.My pitbulls are well rounded, are friendly, goofy, happy dogs...However, I cannot say that about EVERY pitbull... there ARE some aggressive ones, however, aggressive dogs excist in EVERY breed.

• No not all pit bulls are nice. Just like not all Cocker Spaniels, Chihuahuas, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever or any other entire breed of dog is nice.Generally, pit bulls (APBT) are fabulously human adoring dogs and are not aggressive at all. The problem is that they are the "cool" macho dog to have and some people only want them as a status symbol, to show off and look cool. Many people teach their pit bulls to be aggressive, keep them chained up, do not socialize them as puppies or adults in a positive manner, do not feed them well and do not train them.When these dogs finally get loose, they have no idea how to interact with people or have been conditioned to be aggressive and people get bitten. Instead of blaming the owners, the media points the finger at the breed and the general public is force fed news reports of vicious pit bulls. They never look beyond the dog to understand that there are always factors that led to an attack which are preventable.Pit bulls are known for being very friendly. They sometimes do not get along with other dogs, particularly dogs of the same sex. And many people think that if a dog is aggressive towards other dogs, it means the dog will also be aggressive towards humans.Dog aggression and human aggression are completey different things.I have been involved in dogs my entire life. I have handled and evaluated alot of dogs. In all of these years I have only personally evaluated one pit bull that concerned me. I have been bitten three times in my life, once seriously as a child and none of those dogs was a pit bull. I have seen more seriously human aggressive Golden retrievers, German Shepherds, various small breeds, Wirehaired Fox Terriers, Bostons, etc, etc than I can count. Rarely do people bat an eye at a cute (but terribly dangerous) Cocker but if a pit bull moves too quickly people freak out.Pit bulls that are owned by responsible people and alot of pit bulls owned by not so responsible owners are very well mannered and temperamentally sound. They typically adore children, are extremely tolerant of kids, they are smart and love being with their families. They do not have locking jaws and they don't turn on their owners and suddenly decide to eat them.My pit bulls are Katrina rescues. My female is my Service Dog. My male is also my Service Dog, a certified Therapy Dog and has passed AKC's Canine Good Citizen test four times, the first time when he was 10 months old. He also has passed the Therapy Dog International test three times.They are friendly, well trained and they do not have an aggressive bone in their bodies. They were also known in the past as the "Nanny Dog" because of their strong desire to be around the family children.

• I have six and they are sweet hearts. Anybody can get around them. It's all on how you raise them. I do not fight my dogs and don't believe in it. I raised my children around pits their whole life. Pits love children and if trained right will devote themselves to them. Mine do not stay outside. They live inside the house. I don't want anyone to steal them. I also drive a semi truck and two ride with me all the time. People love them and ask me about puppies. My children are all grown up now with pits of thier own. So are they bad dogs, I would have to say NO, NO, NO

• Pit Bull is a term commonly used to describe several breeds of dog in the Molosser family that were historically used for dog fighting. The breeds most often placed in this category are the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.In the media the term is vague and may include other breeds with similar physical characteristics, such as the Perro de Presa Canario, Cane Corso, Dogo Argentino, Alano Espanol, Japanese Tosa, Dogue de Bordeaux, Cordoba Fighting Dog, Bull Terrier, Antebellum Bulldog, Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog, American Bulldog, Boxer, Valley Bulldog, Olde English Bulldogge, Renascence Bulldogge, and Banter Bulldogge. These breeds are rarely listed by name in breed-specific legislation, but they are sometimes included when the term is defined broadly and based on physical appearance.And due to bad press, people have the wrong idea bout most pit bull type dogs.So no, not everything they say is true.I, an attack victim of a american pit bull terrier(known as a pit bull to most) love the breed, just not what some people make these dogs do.Again it depends on how the dog is raised to make it nice or not, its generalizing.Pit bull dogs can make great pets, with the right kind of care. My cousin has an american pit bull terrier and a staffordshire and she has 3 kids, they are great with the kids but not with any small animal. I am suprised they didnt attack my rat terrier when i had her over there( the female pit did attack another dog...)Its people that do stupid things to dogs such as the pit, that make them what they are. Not all people do it though, my cousin didnt abuse her dogs, some dogs are just more aggressive towards other dogs and the aggression was never taken care of.so i guess as long as u dont get bit while judgin, then the dog is a nice dog ;).

• pitbulls are nice don't get me wrong it depends on how you raise, train and treat them. They are not a mean dog its the owners that make them the way they are cause they want a dog to fight and win. don't blame the breed of dog blame the owner that made them the way they are. Same way with german shepherd it depends on how you raise them as well. German shepherd can be as mean as a pitbull honestly same way with a rottie or dobie cause they are guard dogs and thats why mostly alot of people have them. I have an 11 yr old rottie and she is a baby doll but the man that had her abused her and she don't like men at all. So it just depends on how you raise, treat and train your dog...