What is the best dog food for a 4 year old chihuahua?

EVO by inova - the small bites formula

EVO by inova - the small bites formula...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the best dog food for a 4 year old chihuahua?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the best dog food for a 4 year old chihuahua?

What is the best dog food for a 4 year old chihuahua? General Dog Discussions
      EVO by inova - the small bites formula

What is the best dog food for a 4 year old chihuahua? General Dog Discussions
    • wellness small breednatural with no corn, by product or fillers5 star rated brandi have my dogs on wellness small breed n they never looked better n the vet agreeswellnesspetfood.com use website to get more info and store locateralso, if u join the mailing club, they send out coupons every month

• There are so many choices out there, it can be overwhelming. For food, why not try Wellness Super5Mix Small Breed?http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/product-details.aspx?pet=dog&pid=66&dm=completehealthYou don't need to be bound to one brand and flavor forever, though. Unless he/she has a very sensitive stomach, I recommend a rotation diet. Here's some more information that:http://www.floridachowchowclub.com/Rotating_Your_Dogs_Food.htmAs for treats, I really like Old Mother Hubbard dog biscuits. They're fairly expensive, but very good and tasty. They're made by the same company as Wellness dog food.Good luck!

• I feed my chihuahua Nutro Ultra Small Breed Adult and she LOVES it! It's packed with "super foods" to help with her immune system, healthy heart, brain function, vision, etc. Also, Nutro does not use ground yellow corn which is a filler and big allergen among dogs. They don't use by-products (heads, feet, intestines). And there are no artificial colors or flavors. And it's 100% guaranteed! I will tell you this though, when I switched her to the Ultra I mixed her old food with it for about 2 weeks because of all the added nutrients, it could be too rich for some dogs, but she did great. And like I said she LOVES it!

• I feed mine Orijen. I have used EVO and Blue Buffalo as well. All good foods. Also, Instinct, Taste of the Wild, and a few others. All are human quality foods and are grain-free. They are high in protein and will cause weight-gain if you do not exercise your dogs. That means well-paced walks and dog parks not the fetch in the backyard. The food is n more expensive but you will use less of it and it's just better quality. No reason to skimp on food with a Chihuahua. One small bag will last you a month or more, You can do a search on the company websites to see where they are sold. Petsmart sells Blue and Castor and Pollux. The others are usually sold in boutique type shops or feed stores.

• I feed my puppy Blue Buffalo small breed, it's not the best food, but it is a high quality food, especially for a Toy breed that doesn't need a super high amount of protein (because they are less active). We also tried our dog on Wellness brand, which is pretty comparable, but he wouldn't eat it at all. It's really up to you and your budget. I find for the price, Blue and Wellness are the best quality in the mid-range. Blue and Wellness have some fillers, but they are things like oatmeal and brown rice instead of corn, soy and wheat, which are really hard on a dog's stomach (those are things you will find in gorvery store brands). Look for meat as the first and second ingredient and look for foods that use no meat/poultry "by-products".There are a lot of pretty good grain-free foods that are reasonably priced too, Wellness Core, Blue Wilderness, Taste of the Wild and Before Grain. But for a little Toy breed I don't think it's necessary they get so much protein. We use "Zuke's" mini naturals as treats for our dog. They also contain no corn, wheat or soy and are soft and tiny; great for training. They also have "power bones" which are bigger and more like a milk-bone type treat, but still free of bad fillers. VERY occasionally we will give him one of those Nyla-Bone brand edible bones (they smell like bacon), our dog devours them ... but they aren't very healthly, so it's a 'once a month' treat.