Why do Pit Bulls have such a bad rap?

Pit Bulls dont attack other dogs, or people, any more than any other breed. Why are they singled out, banned, or eventually put down. They have no natural aggression towards humans, that is from being misstreated by their owners. Read This:One town in…

Pit Bulls dont attack other dogs, or people, any more than any other breed. Why are they singled out, banned, or eventually put down. They have no natural aggression towards humans, that is from being misstreated by their owners. Read This:One town in…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Why do Pit Bulls have such a bad rap?...

• Why do Pit Bulls have such a bad rap?

Why do Pit Bulls have such a bad rap? Dog Breed Discussions
      Pit Bulls dont attack other dogs, or people, any more than any other breed. Why are they singled out, banned, or eventually put down. They have no natural aggression towards humans, that is from being misstreated by their owners. Read This:One town in America, I would rather not name, banned Pit Bulls out right, and anybody who had one in the town would have 2 days to get rid of it or it would be taken and put down. This was inforced, even though there had been no dogs related injuries, from Pit Bulls or Otherwise, in the town for 7 years!Whe I read this I almost screamed! How could they do that. Pit Bulls dont hurt anything more than any other dog. There bad rap comes from abusive owners, and one sided papers. There not the only breed either! Other towns have banned:RetrieversDobermansRottweilersHuskysMallamutesAkitasLabsColliesand others. ALL IN ONE TOWN! What could you have? A #$%^ Poodle? I CANT STAND THESE ETUPID IDIOTS WHO ARE AFRAID FOR THEIR CAT.When I was 11, I was walking down the road at the county fair, after my cattle show, and I was wearing shorts. Some people who were new had a little toy dog. I dont remeber what the breed was. Anyway, I was walking down the road on the same side as these people, when that gay little dog jumped out and bit my knee. I guess I didnt realize what happened because i didnt fell it until my mom looked down and saw it bleeding. My mom went and found my dad from the show ring (he's an official) and went back to the peoples trailer. They said "Its fine, put some neosporin on it". They said they had some, but they would have to get it because the other little dog bit worse.Anyway, any sized dog can hurt you, some more than other. Thats not the reason to hurt Pit Bulls.The town I told you about in the question, that banned Pit Bulls outright, PUT DOWN A TOTAL OF 34 Pit Bulls!! I almost @#$% myself when I read that in the atricle.I live on a farm and am not concerned about them hurting our cattle. Never had that problem with any dog. Thank god for electric fence.The Locking Jaw thing is a big MYTH!! They CAN NOT lock their JAW!!The whole fair dog thing, i had to get a #$%^ ambulance down there because the bite was bad. My dad almost beat the livng @#$% out of the guy. But, he was too old.

Why do Pit Bulls have such a bad rap? Dog Breed Discussions
    • When I was a kid everyone was scared of Dobies and Rotts. Pit bulls get a bad rap because of the few idiots who raise them to be monsters.I can honestly say, the most loving and intelligent dog I have ever encountered is my aunt's pure-bred pit. I love that dog.

• 1. Pit bulls have a bad rep because the media shames them. i for one love pit bulls. they are the best. also HOW ARE LABS COLLIES ROTTIES DOBERMANS RETRIEVERS AND HUSKYS OR EVEN MALLAMUTS OR AKITAS BANNED? THOSE ARE ALL REALLY GREAT BREEDS OF DOGS

• depends on which breeds are bred with what, my dad has owned 2 one bit my sister the other was a good dog, also on how the animal was treated as a puppy, as much as how aggressive you play with the dog, because of some people inbreeding them, they usually do not have much in the intelligent department, my city does not allow people to own German shepherds or pit bulls

• I agree it's a bit discriminatory, but they were bred to be dogs fit to fight in gambling pits, thus their name 'Pit Bull.' Communities are well within their rights to ban potentially harmful elements such as livestock, machinery, etc. Become a part of the process, and make a case for legalizing them. Contact your local government representative. You're either a part of the problem or the solution, but you're nothing but a typical politician if you're not willing to actually do anything about the problem you complain of.

• I agree with ya bud....the BSL should stand for bull $hit Legislation.. its not bad dogs its bad owners, and you more often hear of pitbulls and rotties being banned more than any ofhter breed, when really did you know that Dalmations, labs, retreivers, and german shepards are MORE likely to bite a child than any bully breed?? People believe all these myths that they hear about pitts having lock jaw and blah blah blah.. not true, its a myth/rumour. There is no such thing as a bad dog, just a bad owner! Heres something to think about... if you had a poodle, trained it to fight other poodles/animals in a ring, and trained it to attack... what do you think it would do when being faced by another animal?? Of course its going to bite and attack, because thats how you trained it. We shouldn't be banning breeds, we should be banning certain people from owning pets all together and really buckling down and getting rid of all these idiots trying to fight their dogs for money and drugs...its rediculous!!!

• A lot of people think it is the breed that makes them bad when it really isnt. It is the way they are trained and taken care of. If you train you dog to attack and be a fighting dog then it will attack people! People choose pit bulls to fight because of their muscle. Any dog could do just as much damage if not more than a pit bull. Most pit bulls are VERY sweet. I hate that they have a bad reputation because people buy dogs not to have them as a pet but to fight them and earn money! Get a job if you need money!

• I think the breed is a good one..However, the people that tend to raise them make them have the rap they have... The fact that every time someone's face gets eaten off by a dog, it is most likely a pit bull that did it... Not the dogs fault, they are a product of their environment/raising... By the way, referring to small dogs as "gay" is pretty closed minded on your part.. They are just as courageous as big dogs in their own way, and for someone trying to gain support for dogs, you should be a little more open-minded... Just because someone loves their dog doesn't mean it weighs 120 lbs... I do not need my dog to protect me, just wake me up at night in time to reach my pistol....

• Well they're not afraid for their cat, I don't think, I think they would be more afraid for their children or something, but I do see your side of things. My ex-boyfriend owned 3 pit bulls, they were the most beautiful, nicest, silliest dogs ever. I LOVED those dogs, they were always super nice to me and eventually to the daughter that we had together. My favorite, Chewy, used to sleep with us, he was an American Red-Nose and he was just one of the best dogs I've ever owned. He didn't teach him to be a killer and he never had him fight other dogs, even though his idiotic friends kept wanting him to. It really is just the owners, I think. It sounds like this is personal for you, so I'm sorry if anything happened to a pet of yours.

• Unfortunately for dogs, people are the cause of their problems. Poor breeding has lead to a lot of dogs being put to sleep. Pitbulls encompass the best of many dogs, but with poor breeding these wonderful traits can also be deadly. Many "pitbull" attacks are not by pitbulls, but by dogs that might resemble a pitbull. Irresponsible and ill prepared owners/breeders are part of the cause of this dogs bad reputation. They do attack more than other breeds, but only because that is what they are being raised for. Again, not the dogs fault, but the owners. I have owned 2 pits in my life and am happy to say both like every person and animal they ever met with no problems. I've never had a more loyal pet than a pitbull.

• This also applied to most bull dog type breedsIf they are brought up properly they are no more likely to attack anyone than any other dog.However, if one does snap and attack someone, the damage they do is horrific compared to most other dogsThey are also used by some sectors of society as a status symbol - tough dog, tough man!Sad, but there you are...

• Taking someones dog away because it belongs to a certain breed of dog is going to open the door to having all companion dogs taken away. Something the animal rights groups like the PETA would love to see occur.No dog breed will be safe in the end. These laws will continue to spread from breed to breed, city to city, state to state until we are a nation without canine companions.If you think that is untrue you simply have to look to countries like Italy that have included Border Collies and Corgi Terriers on their breed ban lists. It is a vicious cycle that will continue without recourse.There is a list of 75 dogs that are restricted or baned out right\ AIREDALE TERRIER 2. AKBASH 3. AKITA 4. ALAPAHA BLUE BLOOD BULLDOG 5. ALASKAN MALAMUTE 6. ALSATIAN SHEPHERD 7. AMERICAN BULLDOG 8. AMERICAN HUSKY 9. AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER 10. AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER 11. AMERICAN WOLFDOG 12. ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD 13. ARIKARA DOG 14. AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG 15. AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD 16. BELGIAN MALINOIS 17. BELGIAN SHEEPDOG 18. BELGIAN TURVUREN 19. BLUE HEELER 20. BOERBUL 21. BORZOI 22. BOSTON TERRIER 23. BOUVIER DES FLANDRES 24. BOXER 25. BULLDOG 26. BULL TERRIER 27. BULL MASTIFF 28. CANE CORSO 29. CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOG 30. CAUCASIAN SHEPHERD 31. CHINESE SHAR PEI 32. CHOW-CHOW 33. COLORADO DOG 34. DOBERMAN PINSCHER 35. DOGO DE ARGENTINO 36. DOGUE DE BORDEAUX 37. ENGLISH MASTIFFS 38. ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIEL 39. ESKIMO DOG 40. ESTRELA MOUNTAIN DOG 41. FILA BRASILIERO 42. FOX TERRIER 43. FRENCH BULLDOG 44. GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG 45. GOLDEN RETRIEVER 46. GREENLAND HUSKY 47. GREAT DANE 48. GREAT PYRANEES 49. ITALIAN MASTIFF 50. KANGAL DOG 51. KEESHOND 52. KOMONDOR 53. KOTEZEBUE HUSKY 54. KUVAZ 55. LABRADOR RETRIEVER 56. LEONBERGER 57. MASTIFF 58. NEOPOLITAN MASTIFF 59. NEWFOUNDLAND 60. OTTERHOUND 61. PRESA DE CANARIO 62. PRESA DE MALLORQUIN 63. PUG 64. ROTTWEILER 65. SAARLOOS WOLFHOND 66. SAINT BERNARD 67. SAMOYED 68. SCOTTISH DEERHOUND 69. SIBERIAN HUSKY 70. SPANISH MASTIFF 71. STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER 72. TIMBER SHEPHERD 73. TOSA INU 74. TUNDRA SHEPHERD 75. WOLF SPPeople wake up and smell the dog poop. PETA and HSUS use dog BSL to further thier goal of ridding the country of pets. No breed is bad it is what people make of them. Pit bulls are just the present bad breed. In the past it as been Blood hounds GS, Rotts, Mastiffs. Will yours be next. If it happens to one breed all breeds are in danger. Stand up be heard say He!! no to bad pet laws.