What breed of Family and protector dog is a good choice?

Lab for sure. Awesome with kids and a great protector!

Lab for sure. Awesome with kids and a great protector!...
    General Dog Discussions : What breed of Family and protector dog is a good choice?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What breed of Family and protector dog is a good choice?

What breed of Family and protector dog is a good choice? General Dog Discussions
      Lab for sure. Awesome with kids and a great protector!

What breed of Family and protector dog is a good choice? General Dog Discussions
    • hi,to know what type of dog will suit you, you can use this dog finder match up http://dogtime.com/matchup/startthe goal here is to help you figure out what type of dog best suits you and your personality. The results of the match up will suggest certain breeds.hope this helps

• BOXER!!!A) Great with kids-don't mind tugging, have an innate ability to know how rough is just enough. When my son was toddling he fell and grab my dog's underside to get a grip to stand back up. A dog that will take that will take almost anything from a kid.B) Trains well-have been used as service and police dogsC) Smart-self explanatoryD) They are incredibly loyal-Once you bond with him he'll never leave youE) They average 60 pounds for females, 65 for males though mine was 80 pounds.F) Rarely barks-I heard mine bark only a handful of times his whole life. When he went on alert or chased anything he would make a slight muff under his breath. If he barked then we knew something was up.

• I think Rotts are the BEST by far. My Rott just passed away and he was the absolute best dog I have ever had. I have two small children and we got him when my oldest was a baby from the pound. He was SO very good with them as well as my cats and other small dog. They are such good loyal family dogs. About two years ago a man tried to break in through my kids room window at 4 in the morning and he nearly killed the guy. But other than that time he had never shown any aggression to anyone or anything. My kids could ride around on him and pull his ears and he would just sit there and take it. He also loved my kitten and would mother it and they slept together. THey are such good smart dogs. You just have to be sure to train and socialize them well when they are young. They are so sweet but they have the "big mean dog" look and most people wouldn't dare try and cross them. Once you have been loved by a Rott you will never want any other breed of dog.

• it all depends on your living envirement and the climte thats around your home the most. if you live in an apartment then youll need a small dog like a yorkshire terrier or a chiuaua. if you own your house then a big dog is more your style; st. bernard, lab, or a husky. but if you live in a hot place then dont get a dog that has a lot of hair like a husky or a bermeese mountain dog. and if you live somewhere thats cold get a dog with a heavy coat. also dont get a dog that you dont think you cant handle. all dogs need attention but some need more than others.

• these may help..GOLDEN RETRIEVERThe Golden Retriever is one of the most popular dog breeds in the U.S. The breed's friendly, tolerant attitude makes him a fabulous family pet, and his intelligence makes him a highly capable working dog. Golden Retrievers excel at retrieving game for hunters, tracking, sniffing out drugs, and as therapy and assistance dogs. They're also natural athletes, and do well in dog sports such as agility and competitive obedience.Vital StatsHeight: 21.5 to 24 inches at shoulderWeight: 55 to 75 pounds (males average 70 pounds, females average 60 pounds)Coat: dense; straight or wavyLife span: 10 to 12 yearsBreed Group: Sporting Dogs PERSONALITYA sweet, calm nature is the hallmark of the breed. The Golden was bred to work with people, and is eager to please his owner. Though hard-wired with a good disposition, like all dogs the Golden must be well-raised and well-trained to make the most of his heritage. CAREGolden Retrievers are built for action and love outdoor romps. If you like to hike or jog, your Golden will be happy to join you. And if you feel like tossing a ball in the backyard, they'd be more than happy to join you; true to their name, Goldens love to retrieve. Tiring them out with 20-30 minutes of vigorous exercise twice a day will keep your dog mellow when he's back inside. Slacking on the activity, however, could lead to behavior problems. Like other retriever breeds, Goldens are naturally "mouthy," and they're happiest when they have something to carry in their mouths: a ball, soft toy, newspaper, or best of all, a smelly sock. You'll need to take special care if you're raising a Golden puppy. These dogs grow very rapidly between the age of four and seven months, making them susceptible to bone disorders. Don't let your Golden puppy run and play on very hard surfaces such as pavement until he's at least two years old and his joints are fully formed. Normal play on grass is fine, and so are puppy agility classes. FEEDINGRecommended daily amount: 2 to 3 cups of high-quality dry food a day, divided into two meals.You'll need to take special care if you're raising a Golden puppy. These dogs grow very rapidly between the age of four and seven months, making them susceptible to bone disorders. They do well on a high-quality, low-calorie diet that keeps them from growing too fast.COAT, COLOR, & GROOMINGGolden Retrievers have a dense, water-repellent outer coat with a thick undercoat. Some coats are wavy, some are straight. The fur feathers on the back of the front legs and underbody, with heavier feathering on the chest, back of the thighs, and tail. Golden Retrievers come in all shades of gold, from light to dark gold. Some breeders have begun selling "rare white Goldens," but the American Kennel Club does not recognize white as a coat color for the breed. Golden Retrievers shed moderately in the winter and summer, and heavily in the spring and fall. If you live with a Golden, you'll need to adapt to a certain amount of dog hair in your house and on your clothes. The Golden's thick coat means lots of grooming. Daily brushing is recommended to prevent tangling, and once a week is the bare minimum. Your Golden will also need a bath at least once a month, often more frequently, to keep him looking and smelling clean. Fold-over ears create a warm, dark environment for bacteria or fungus to grow in, and breeds that have them--such as the Golden--are prone to ear infections. His ears should be checked weekly for redness or a bad odor, which can indicate an infection. Check them every time he gets wet, too. When you check your dog's ears, wipe them out with a cotton ball dampened with gentle, pH-balanced ear cleaner to help prevent infections. Don't insert anything into the ear canal; just clean the outer ear.BREED HIGHLIGHTS•Golden Retrievers shed profusely, especially in the spring and fall. Daily brushing will get some of the loose hair out of the coat, keeping it from settling on your clothing and all over your house. But if you live with a Golden, you'll have to get used to dog hair.•Golden Retrievers are family dogs; they need to live indoors with their human "pack," and shouldn't spend hours alone in the backyard.•Golden Retrievers are active dogs who need 40-60 minutes of hard exercise daily. They thrive on obedience training, agility classes, and other canine activities, which are a great way to give your dog physical and mental exercise.•Although they're gentle and trustworthy with kids, Golden Retrievers are boisterous, large dogs that can accidentally knock over a small child. •Goldens love to eat, and will quickly become overweight if overfed. Limit treats, measure out your dog's daily kibble, and feed him in regular meals rather than leaving food out all the time. •Because the Golden Retriever is so popular, there are many people breeding Goldens who care more about making money out of the dem

• Rottweiller. Great family dog and very protecrive. We fostered a male rottie a few years ago and I swear he would have killed someone if they had threatened me. We once had these 3 big muscular guys come up to look at him. We were trying to find him a good adoptive home. He stood up with his front paws on my shoulders and would look at me all smiles, then look at them and growl. It was clear the message was her you, don't touch this lady or you are gonna get it! He was a great dog/

• bernese mountain dog. I have one and we got her because they are great with kids and good protection too. my little cousins can jump on her pull her tail anything but she never snaps or growls. if she's had enough she just gets up and moves to the other part of the room.if there is a slight tap at one of the doors, a knock, or anything else she is always at the door sniffing and barking. whenever we take her on walks people always cross the street before they can pass us because they are afraid of the dog. she wouldn't hurt a fly though, but if she had to I'm sure she would. good luck

• i'd definately say german shepherd,we had them when i was small, they are playful, obedient, kind, not at all aggressive, great with kids but extremely loyal and would protect you with their life.

• Labs are the best there the most loving well behaved dogs. i bread them for 5 yrs i still have two mother and daughter. they're very protective but would harm anyone unless someone was invaiding your home and u still have to train them to do so u gotta have alot of time with them just like any other dog people get dogs and are at work or out most of the time and then they wonder why the dog is untrainable i promise you look into it but they are the best loving family dog but good home protectors

• All dogs that are treated well will be good protectors. But you want big dogs, so Labs, German Shepherds, Doberman Pinschers, etc. or any mixed breed dogs will do as well.Get one from a shelter and save a life.http://petfinder.com/Never a pet store. Here's why...http://stoppuppymills.org/ http://saynotopetstorepuppies.com http://millbusters.com/

• I was looking in getting a family dog thats likes children. Another reason i would get the family dog is to be a family protector as well. Any suggestions on what type of dog with these characteristics. Ps....No little dogs.

• I recommend that you go to the American Kennel club and read about the different types of breeds to find the one that best suits your family. It will alsolist the health problems and grooming.