Would it be okay to own an alaskan malamute in queensland?

In the future at some point I was really wanting to own an <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/?s=a79d96ce05bbc8a5921d75dc8da5dcd03c44ecf3">alaskan malamute</a> but I'm not entirely sure as to if it would be cruel to own one in the hot weather that happens quite frequently in North QLD.

In the future at some point I was really wanting to own an <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/?s=a79d96ce05bbc8a5921d75dc8da5dcd03c44ecf3">alaskan malamute</a> but I'm not entirely sure as to if it would be cruel to own one in the hot weather that happens quite frequently in North QLD....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Would it be okay to own an alaskan malamute in queensland?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Would it be okay to own an alaskan malamute in queensland?

Would it be okay to own an alaskan malamute in queensland? Dog Breed Discussions
      In the future at some point I was really wanting to own an alaskan malamute but I'm not entirely sure as to if it would be cruel to own one in the hot weather that happens quite frequently in North QLD.

Would it be okay to own an alaskan malamute in queensland? Dog Breed Discussions
    • No, it is far too hot up there in Queensland. Unless you're prepared to shave his entire coat off, which is ridiculous, they'd overheat like crazy. Maybe here in NSW I'd consider it, and I've seen a few Siberian husky around at the park. Hate to say it, but the Alaskan Malamute is not the right breed for your geographical location.

• The real problem will be finding a way to work the dog. Alaskan Malamutes are super heavily coated, making it nearly impossible to work them enough in anything above 80 degrees. The dog can rather easily survive in the heat with aircon and misters, but the real issue comes down to working the dog enough to tire him out and keep him healthy (and sane).