Got denied an apartment due to rental company claiming my dog, Alaskan Malamute, had lockjaw! Legal recourse?

They didn't even see my dog. They claimed that Alaskan Malamutes were on this "Lockjaw List". How did this list originate and what can be done about it?

Got denied an apartment due to rental company claiming my dog, Alaskan Malamute, had lockjaw! Legal recourse?

They didn't even see my dog. They claimed that Alaskan Malamutes were on this "Lockjaw List". How did this list originate and what can be done about it?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Got denied an apartment due to rental company claiming my dog, Alaskan Malamute, had lockjaw! Legal recourse?...

• Got denied an apartment due to rental company claiming my dog, Alaskan Malamute, had lockjaw! Legal recourse?

Got denied an apartment due to rental company claiming my dog, Alaskan Malamute, had lockjaw! Legal recourse? Dog Breed Discussions
      They didn't even see my dog. They claimed that Alaskan Malamutes were on this "Lockjaw List". How did this list originate and what can be done about it?

Got denied an apartment due to rental company claiming my dog, Alaskan Malamute, had lockjaw! Legal recourse? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I think that "lockjaw list" might just be a fancy codename for "restricted breed" list. Malamutes, Huskies, Akitas, Pitbulls and other breeds are often turned down by landlords because allowing these breeds might make their insurance skyrocket or scare other tenants. No dog actually has the ability to "lock" its jaws, people don't seem to understand that.It's completely ridiculous, I know, but you'll probably just have to find another place with a better, more understanding landlord. Best of luck.

• The lockjaw list generally pertains to dogs that are found to be dangerous because they can lock their jaws on something. Once their jaws are locked in place it's very difficult to get them to unlock and release the object they're biting. Dogs usually found on this list include pitbulls, rottwielers, dobermans, etc. Most places you rent from need a LOT of insurance to have those dogs living on the property so instead of paying so much for insurance they usually just ban those breeds.

• if someone told me that my dog was on a "lockjaw" list.. I would inform them that my dog does not have tetanus.There are dogs deemed dangerous, according to bite statistics (many are probably wrong because of breed mis-identification)there isnt much you can do about it.. look for an apartment that doesnt include malamutes in their restrictions.