How can I introduce another dog to my dog if he is vicious?

I would say either don't introduce another animal or do it in a neutral area over several months. like in a park have the other dog walk around the area you will introduce them, then bring your dog in and smell around, then bring the other dog to the…

I would say either don't introduce another animal or do it in a neutral area over several months. like in a park have the other dog walk around the area you will introduce them, then bring your dog in and smell around, then bring the other dog to the…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I introduce another dog to my dog if he is vicious?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I introduce another dog to my dog if he is vicious?

How can I introduce another dog to my dog if he is vicious? General Dog Discussions
      I would say either don't introduce another animal or do it in a neutral area over several months. like in a park have the other dog walk around the area you will introduce them, then bring your dog in and smell around, then bring the other dog to the edge of your area and sit and just have your dog sit and get used to just seeing another dog. your best bet however would probably be to get the dog into some obedience classes. Just be sure that when you start introducing another dog you stay calm and cool.Best of Luck.

How can I introduce another dog to my dog if he is vicious? General Dog Discussions
    • Just because your dog goes crazy on the leash doesn't make him vicious. Have you taken him to an off leash dog park and see how he gets along? When he actually is able to get up and sniff the other dog does he lunge to attack? He is probably just frustrated and wants to get at the other dog, you don't know. A neighbor has a Jack Russell when he sees my dog he barks and growls and goes nuts as soon as I brought my dog over he went nutty sniffing her and wagging his tail and just loved her, so barking on the leash does not always mean aggressive.Best way, BEFORE you bring the dog home is to have them meet on neutral ground and see how they go. If he was fine with your partner dog then there's no reason why he can't be fine with another companion.

• my gma has a dog kinda like that... shes the jealous type... literally! if someones outside and petting her, shell growl at the puppy... so she can be kinda vicious when the pups around, but not to ppl... Id put the older dog on a short leash or one of them that the dog can go as far as it want until u push the button and let them sniff and get to know eachother... if the older dog starts to be agressive, then pull back and tell him no... if that doesnt work, buy a child gate and let them kinda interact from the fence... he'll prob. be a lil agressive still, but thats natural...

• Dogs do grieve, and just like humans, they take time to get over the loss of a pack mate. Don't assume another friend will be what he needs, however - it is more important that he begins to feel secure again now the pack dynamics have changed.You don't say if he has always been dog aggressive - or if this is a new thing? If he has always been vicious towards strange dogs, I wouldn't bring a new dog in, especially not at a point when he is already upset and confused. If the dog on dog aggression is a new thing - give him some time. Once he seems back to his old self, then maybe consider bringing another dog in - but for the time being, just give him love and comfort.

• Yes! Sometimes dogs are very protective of their surroundings, people, and territory. If you want to introduce your dog to a new dog, take both dogs to a new, neutral place. Have someone you trust with your first dog (other than yourself) hold that dog on a leash, and you take the other one on a leash. Allow the dogs to approach each other, and try not to put tension on the leashes, as the dogs can feel this and might think it is coming from the other dog. I know that sounds weird, but you have to think about it the way a dog would. Keep in mind that some dogs just do not like other dogs, but if your first dog has had a companion in the past, then he should be able to learn to like the other dog. One of my dogs is not so fond of other dogs, but when they are around I just tell her to "be nice." She knows what that means and it usually helps her to behave herself. Once you bring both dogs into the same house, just make sure that the first dog still gets some of your attention and knows it is still loved. When feeding or walking try not to make a habit of always letting one dog go before the other. That way there will be less issues with one dog acting more dominant than the other.

• he might just be going crazy because he wants a new friend.just bring home another dog and see how it goes, just make sure you have someone help you and each of you hold one on a leash so if it decides to become vicious you can pull away

• It's going to be hard. He was used to your old dog but it sounds like he is dog aggressive to dogs he doesn't know. This happens sometimes.Call your vet and get a recommendation for a trainer and start working on the issue and don't try and get another dog until he improves substantially. Be aware you may not be able to resolve it at this stage in his life and that another dog may never be an option. In time he will get used to being an only dog.DO NOT take a dog aggressive dog to a dog park and muzzles are not intended for taking dogs out for exercise and socialization with other dogs. They are intended for short-term specific use (such as examination by a vet).

• my dog has recently lost his partner dog and has become very depressed, not eating etc. However whenever we see another dog he goes crazy. is there anyway I can introduce a new dog into his life?