How do I stop my dog from eating all his stuff?

Every time we get my dog a new bed, toy, rope etc. he eats it. Dog beds aren't very cheap either for a dog his size. What can I do to make him stop?

Every time we get my dog a new bed, toy, rope etc. he eats it. Dog beds aren't very cheap either for a dog his size. What can I do to make him stop?...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I stop my dog from eating all his stuff?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I stop my dog from eating all his stuff?

How do I stop my dog from eating all his stuff? General Dog Discussions
      Every time we get my dog a new bed, toy, rope etc. he eats it. Dog beds aren't very cheap either for a dog his size. What can I do to make him stop?

How do I stop my dog from eating all his stuff? General Dog Discussions
    • There could be many different problems why he is eating everything. Some of the most common reasons are, separation anxiety, bored, medical problem, or a puppy.Separation anxiety is when your dog hates when you leave them behind, so they cause problems hoping you won't leave them again. To solve this is to leave them for a short time like 1 minute and when you come back reward them with a treat. Keep extending the time over three weeks and hopefully your dog will realize your not leaving him forever. Dogs are pack animals and will never be happy when you leave but has to understand that you have to leave and you will return.If you have a smart breed of dog like a lab, retriever, border collie, or similar breed he could be bored. You must challenge your dog with tricks and other thing to get his mind working and thinking.Get it involved in a sport like agility.It could also be medical like a tap worm. this will make your dog hungry all the time and his food is not enough for him so they will eat anything else they can find. If your dog is still a puppy he needs something to chew on to get their new teeth in.

• I have a Charbae/Lab mix. She is now 3 yrs old. She used to eat everything in sight. She ate the leather cushion of my love seat, etc. We tried everything we could to stop her. Finally, about a year or so ago he stopped and only chews on her toys.

• a few points that come off the top of my head....- feed him enough, don't deprive him if he has the appetite- keep him company, take him for walks or play with him (essentially, keep him occupied)- try teaching him not to chew things (sprays etc)- change the items (he may not fancy them, just as we humans don't always fancy the accessories that have been given to us)

• Unfortunately you may not be able too. Some dogs like to eat their beds and won't be trained out of it. Try making it taste bad. There are products like Bitter Apple that taste really bad. Be advised, some dogs come to like them and consider them a tasty sauce.The pet supply company Drs. Foster and Smith put out a dog bed that is this vinyl type mesh that is streached tightly over a metal frame. This one isn't "plushie" like other dog beds and is off the floor. Maybe he will take to this one better.As to everything else he chews, some of that stuff is made to be chewed to oblivion. Either quit buying them or find them cheap. Dogs need to chew. You have one that really likes to chew. Get pig ears and rawhide. Rawhide isn't the best thing for dogs, but neither is the cloth and toys he chews.Get a few of those toys that dispense food when the dog plays with them. They aren't chew toys, but they will distract him and get him some exersize. Get a few of them for more interest.Good Luck, hope this helps.

• There is some stuff at Wal~Mart called, "Chew Stop" (I think that's the name if it) - anyway, it is designed to make them stop chewing on stuff. About a year ago, I got a new female and she chewed up my couch all the time, I got some of that stuff and sprayed on it and now more chewing! It was great. Petsmart and Petco also carry similar items and they are very cost friendly! Good Luck!

• most of the time depending on the dog it just means that they are bored. our 2 years old dog is finally getting out of the habit, when we left her out in the yard alone she would eat everything, the $3000 brand new sprinkler system, the deck, the garbage... EVERYTHING. one way to try and stop this is going to buy this Bitter Apple spray that tastes disgusting and if your spray it in his mouth everytime he starts to eat something then it should stop

• Kong toys are wonderful for aggresive chewers. I swear my dogs could chew throughn a brick wall if I let her, but she loves Kong toys. Maybe he is chewing for a reason. Is he bored? He is hungry? We use a squirt bottle filled with water, and when my dog is rotten we squirt her. Seems to do the trick.