how do you get an american eskimo dog used to other dogs?

I have an american eskimo dog and she barks and growls at every dog she sees. i want her to be more used to dogs.

I have an american eskimo dog and she barks and growls at every dog she sees. i want her to be more used to dogs....
    Dog Breed Discussions : how do you get an american eskimo dog used to other dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• how do you get an american eskimo dog used to other dogs?

how do you get an american eskimo dog used to other dogs? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have an american eskimo dog and she barks and growls at every dog she sees. i want her to be more used to dogs.

how do you get an american eskimo dog used to other dogs? Dog Breed Discussions
    • SOCIALIZE SOCIALIZE SOCIALIZE! How old is your eskimo. I own a male miniature american eskimo and as soon as we picked him up we brought him to a home full of people and with a couple different dogs. Its good to start as soon as possible so that she's used to the fact that she will be meeting new dogs all the time. If she's over a year old, she's most likely grown into her normal tempermant and it will be a little more difficult to fix. Meet a couple of your friends at a park, in a calm area with their dogs. Make sure everyone is leashed. You don't want to start inviting other dogs to your home right away because it might cause some territorial issues. Slowly introduce your dog to your friends dogs one at a time, so it isn't overwhelming. Have them sniff each other out, while kept a safe distance apart. Use a very soothing voice and praise your dog when she remains calm. Give her treats immediately if she sniffs and shows friendly behavior. Pet your friends dogs to show her that its ok. Any time your eskimo starts to growl or bark, turn her away and take her to a secluded area for a few moments, then try again. It takes a lot of patience to try and socialize a dog who may be set in its ways. The key is to keep her calm and happy. As soon as you suceed with one dog, try another. You want her to be ok with many different dogs, not just one. Start this immediately. Eskimos can be known for their aggressiveness when not properly socialized with dogs AND humans