If you had to choose?

which would your rather have? if you're tempted to say neither or throw another dog into the mix don't answer.1. Australian shepherd2. German shepherd3. English Springer Spaniel4.Old English Sheepdog5.Great Pyrenees6.Newfoundland7.Greater Swiss Mountain…

If you had to choose?

which would your rather have? if you're tempted to say neither or throw another dog into the mix don't answer.1. Australian shepherd2. German shepherd3. English Springer Spaniel4.Old English Sheepdog5.Great Pyrenees6.Newfoundland7.Greater Swiss Mountain…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : If you had to choose?...

• From experience i found that #3 was very stubborn and not that loving, just wanted to chase things aka bird dog. Newfoundlands are very loving sweet dogs but they die young :(. Collies are awesome but they tend to get along better with other collies. Shepherds are awesome dogs and the Australian shep would get along great with your collie! Just beware of getting herded a lot lol. German sheps are so loving and loyal. in the end its still your decision and if you want an old english sheep dog then darnit your going to get one :)

• Well, you have some nice dogs listed there. I personally like the Aussie, but it fits my lifestyle so that makes a bit of a difference, lol. Id had one years ago and he was one of the nicest dogs I ever had. He had a very even temperment, never bothered the other critters (chickens,horses,goats, cats, etc) , was very smart and protected the property. I grew up with GSD's and they are good too, but it really depends on your lifestyle. Best thing would be to read up on each breed and meet with some of each and decide for yourself how they'd fit into your life. Good luck and best wishes!

• I would choose a Rough Collie or a Great Dane. The rough collie because I think they are pretty and usually train well. The great dane because I love big dogs and they can be very beautiful. The downside is that they don't live very long and are prone to bloat and hip dysplasia and a few other things.Look carefully at the descriptions of those breeds on the American Kennel Club website. Newfoundlands are good, mellow dogs usually. Foxhounds are pretty nice looking dogs, but I tend to want to stay away from hounds due to the potential for baying and desire to track scents and wander.Aussie shepherds are really pretty but require a lot of exercise and mental stimulation as they can be very high energy dogs. Not a big fan of the German Shepherd and the way the breed is going with its physical shape.Don't know much about Springer Spaniels but I've heard bad things about "Springer Rage" and some mental issues with some if they are bred improperly...but you'd have to check on that as I'm not sure which springers it affects.And I don't know much about the others. Good luck in your search!

• All of them. They are all nice dogs when they are properly bred by knowledgeable, responsible breeders and crappy ones when bred by ignorant back yard greeders or puppy millers. They can all have serious health and temperament issues that need to have been evaluated in the parents prior to a breeding occurring. Given there is a lot of differences in the breeds, I wonder what you see that is what you like in all of them? There are a number who require extensive grooming and that means daily if not several times on occasion! There are very different personality types and temperament characteristics as well. If you are 'leaning' towards one like the OES, you need to really study up on them. They are one that requires a lot of grooming knowledge and time as well as can have some serious joint and other health issues. You need to go to the parent club site and see about getting some breeder referals and contact GOOD breeders, not to get a dog from but to get as a mentor to you - so you can learn everything about the breed before obtaining one as well as learn about discerning what makes a good breeder in the breed. Read the COE and the health information on the site also. I have had experiences with all and the only ones I would personally like are 1 and 10 because I am just not a fan of slobber but 1 would be a second as I am not necessarily into that undercoat and their personality that much - although I have known some excellent ones. I know several that have obtained schutzhund titles even :)add: DogChick is right... but you already have two dogs and one is still a puppy. Why consider getting another dog when you still have a puppy at home that needs its own time, attention and training?

• Oh, I see you already have a border collie (my favorite).I'd definitely go for the German shepherd or the Great Dane. German Shepherd = intelligent, good-looking, good watchdog despite its formidable appearanceGreat Dane = sweet disposition, gentle and, despite large size, is actually quite graceful. Negative: Only lives for several years (with exceptions, of course). And I do not think eight years is a "long time" when it comes to the life of your "best friend."It's absolutely amazing how fast seven or eight years flies by (sniffle, sob, sniffle).

• I would definitely get a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. I have looked into the breed, as I have wanted one for a long time. But I always rescue my pets, and Swissies don't show up in shelters too often. I just like large working breeds.

• i'm going to say Australian shepherd, but only becuase i have one (Bandit) and they're close to Border collies which i love.but the Swissies are cool too. Jake is a Bernese Mtn and close to the Swissie.what about climate in your area? will that make a difference?LOL!! maybe i should move there.

• none would be my preference though i like all of them b/c you have alot of beautiful choices I would say why not get a varient of # 2 I know you said dont add but its like a pitbull and staffy same thing different name, so im suggesting a king shepherd its a german shepherd just bigger it would fit into your other dogs that are probally good sized well, but if i had to blindly choose id say 6 or 10

• Your question doesn't make sense.Firstly, OUR preferences have nothing to do with YOUR lifestyle and preferences.Secondly, there is so much variation in your list that I find it hard to believe that you are serious. You do NOT pick a companion for the next 8-18 years of your life by looking at their Breed Standard, nor by reading about them - you must go INTERACT WITH THEM.If you can't find any to interact with, take that as a STRONG hint to forget that breed - there is always a REASON why a rare breed is rare, so leave that breed to people who (for whichever reason) choose to put up with those flaws rather than allow the breed to become extinct.To get a satisfying companion you should consider only the popular breeds.(1) It means that they have been proven easier to live with and to have genuine virtues that are still applicable to today (unlike such as the Bulldog, whose purpose in life is now illegal everywhere).(2) It means that you have a wide choice of litters and "rescues" from which to choose, and for puppies can ignore the puppy-millers & chance-breds and concentrate on reputable breeders who supply worthwhile Guarantees, instead of having to take whatever's available within the next 3 years at whatever price & conditions that person chooses to set.When my wife got sick of the bitchy humans in my breed 35+ years ago she looked at 3 possible replacement breeds; 2 of them were the first breeding pairs in the country, one a cute minority breed. After checking the first breeding pairs she ruled them out, so bought one of the minority breed - and would have made her up as a champion had she persevered, but "Polly" was not a great representative of her breed (4th of 4 the only time she met opposition) and not a great pet, totally lacking the "spirit" of her sire, so was given away at about a year old and my wife returned to my breed.On your list there are only 2 that qualify as popular - GSDs and RCs - with the Springer Spaniel as a third possibility (of spaniels, I prefer the hunting "English" Cocker Spaniel).I breed GSDs and used to show them in younger days.My sister bred RCs during her first marriage but now breeds Pomeranians.A couple of my friends & acquaintances have bred & shown both GSDs & RCs.The two are very different in personality and grooming needs.Both feature in movies & on tv, with more films/videos featuring GSDs (eg Strongheart, Rin Tin Tin, Radar) than RCs (basically, just Lassie), but that nevertheless proves that both ARE very trainable if you choose one from the "right" bloodlines (although each Lassie film needed an average of 6 RCs to perform all the stunts, whereas the GSD films used just one GSD each - when it comes to trainability, GSDs uber alles except the Border Collies!)If you're not interested in trainabilty, focus on a pet rock.If you are interested in trainability then focus on herding dogs (not GUARD dogs!) as first choice, bird dogs as second choice, terriers & toys as last choice - both latter categories CAN be trained (my childhood dogs were Fockers - first crosses between Fox Terriers and Cocker Spaniels) but that trait is NOT built into their ancestry!Also take into account your own physical strength - at some stage in its life each dog needs to be picked up and carried - to the vet, or to its grave. And the mastiffs and giant breeds are too big/bulky/heavy for that.In addition, take into account your pooches' feelings. You already have a pair (I hope they are of opposite sexes). No way can the third be of yet another sex, and so at 10 months old and approaching 3 years old the rivalries for alpha-of-sex status will result in tooth-action.Serious breeders need more than 1 or 2 pooches.Serious trainers need more than 1 or 2 pooches.For pet owners, the ideal is 2 pooches, of opposite sexes and half a breed-life-span apart, so that when the older one dies you have a competent & willing fur-therapist there to help you through your grieving.Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly"In GSDs" as of 1967

• Of all you've listed the german shepherd is the easiest to train so that would be my choice.They need brushed daily to cut down on shedding and they need a good 5 mile run daily so it would fit in best with your lefestyle.

• My personal preference for you would be a Great Pyrenees. A pyr would blend well with your current two dogs, and is actually a calm guardian, and they truly are gentle giants. They have some herding instinct, but mostly are guardians... if you don't have livestock, no problem, they'll happily guard you. The fact that you walk 2-3 mi a day should give the dog good exercise. I think your current two are fascinating... the BC and Malamute. I'm rural in TN. I like the personality blend of a pyr with these two.My 2nd choice would be the Newfie, who has some similarities with the pyr.My third choice would the the Greater Swiss Mt. Dog. Fourth?... there's the Aussie who would love to race with the BC. They do tend to be nervous dogs, but not necessarily destructive as someone stated. I would disagree with the destructive part of that person's comments.Then there are the OES & GD both of which would be calm dogs.I'd avoid the GSD... possibility of being too aggressive.ESS & Foxhound somehow don't seem a good match to me.So which rural town are you in ??? I've been through much of NV... interesting areas over there ... from area 51 to vegas to up in the mountains! colorful!!! I've probably been through your area.I think most of the dogs above are good blends with the ones you now have, but my favorite is the pyr... but I'm prejudiced... I'm owned by 2 pyrs and an Aussie Cross.