My dog ate milkweed, I think?

He is a 55lbs American Foxhound, about 1.5 - 2 years old, adopted from the humane society in July.I usually let him roam the backyard for a few minutes a few times a day. I used to supervise him closely, but found he never got into anything and…

He is a 55lbs American Foxhound, about 1.5 - 2 years old, adopted from the humane society in July.I usually let him roam the backyard for a few minutes a few times a day. I used to supervise him closely, but found he never got into anything and…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : My dog ate milkweed, I think?...

• My dog ate milkweed, I think?

My dog ate milkweed, I think? Dog Breed Discussions
      He is a 55lbs American Foxhound, about 1.5 - 2 years old, adopted from the humane society in July.I usually let him roam the backyard for a few minutes a few times a day. I used to supervise him closely, but found he never got into anything and preferred to just chase birds and play with his toys. Today I caught him next to the back porch, where he never goes.When he came in, he had about half of a milkweed pod which he dropped in his crate. I'm worried he ate it. Is it toxic? What is the usual treatment if so? My usual vet is out-of-town all of this week, so I thought I would ask here before turning to a vet I've never worked with.

My dog ate milkweed, I think? Dog Breed Discussions
    • milkweed poisonous to dogs? We have a lot of it where I live. —Roden S.It could be, Roden. Asclepias species can be potentially toxic to pets, as they contain substances that can produce gastrointestinal, neurologic and cardiac effects, depending on the circumstances of exposure. While most problematic exposures occur in grazing animals, we would still recommend not allowing your dog to consume this plant.call the vet