Which breed of dog would be best for someone who is somewhat afraid of dogs?

I have been bitten two different times by two different dogs in the past, and so I am a bit skiddish around large dogs. My hubby-to-be wants a Lab, but they are so big! Would that breed be ok to get, or is there another that would be mild, gentle, and…

Which breed of dog would be best for someone who is somewhat afraid of dogs?

I have been bitten two different times by two different dogs in the past, and so I am a bit skiddish around large dogs. My hubby-to-be wants a Lab, but they are so big! Would that breed be ok to get, or is there another that would be mild, gentle, and…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Which breed of dog would be best for someone who is somewhat afraid of dogs?...

• I adore Labs I could not possibly say enough good/great things about them. I have owned tons of different breeds of all sizes and I loved each dog but never fell in love with a breed until I got Labs. Labs come in all sizes my female is 50 lbs and my male 100lbs. But they are the biggest babies. They just loved to be loved. They love other dogs, adore kids and worship their masters. They are highly intelligent, easy to train, they are devoted and affectionate, they are versatile and easy going. Both my Labs are great with older people,people with disabilities, and when your sad they just know and will make you laugh. There are a lot of breed rescue groups for Labs and there are alot at shelters. You can always find a smaller one. They have the greatest personalities you would be very happy with one. They are goofy and fun loving.

• I have a fear of dogs also. I have made it a point to go to friends' houses who have dogs. I am now okay with a dog as long as it is on a leash with its owner or if it is a dog I know. I'm still scared of stray dogs though, although I am getting better. Anyway, I got my first dog two years ago. He was an Australian Cattle Dog, or Queensland. They were bred for hearding cows in the Australian Outback. Patch was an awesome dog, very laid back and good with my kids. Unfortunately, he learned how to climb the fence...yes, climb it. He kept getting out of the yard and killed a couple of the neighbor's cats. So we found him a home on a 25 acre rance in the mountains.We now have a Basset Hound (Hush Puppy dog with the long ears). We've got two of them, actually. They are great dogs for people with dog phobias and wonderful with kids. Bassets are very mild mannered. Our male dog was chewing on one of my son's toys and my son reached into the dog's mouth to get the toy out. The dog didn't even care. This breed of dog loves people and always wants to be with his human family. Basset Hounds are also low energy, especially when they get out of the puppy stage. Our hounds come inside in the evening after we get home from work and after greeting everyone in the house, they plop themselves down on the couch and fall asleep.There are a few downsides to Basset Hounds though. Many of them drool, so if you are a neat freak, this may not be the breed for you. Also, thier long ears tend to keep in moisture, so their ears can get really gross if you don't keep them clean. You have to clean them out about once a week so they don't get an ear infection. Also, they must be kept in a fully fenced yard. Basset Hounds are tracking dogs (2nd best smellers next to Blood Hounds) so if they catch an interesting scent they will follow it and then not be able to find their way home. Hope that helps. =)