What type of dog is great with children but does not shed alot?

What type of dog is great with children but does not shed alot?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What type of dog is great with children but does not shed alot?...

• What type of dog is great with children but does not shed alot?

What type of dog is great with children but does not shed alot? Dog Breed Discussions

What type of dog is great with children but does not shed alot? Dog Breed Discussions
    • The Portuguese water dog. They are really great dogs, great with kid's, and are non shedding and hypoallergenic.Here is a list of non-low shedding dogs, however bear in mind that big dogs are better with children than small one: Airedale terrier, Basenji, Boston terrier, Cairn terrier, Havanese, Maltese, Norfolk terrier, Poodle(all types), Shih tzu, Tibetan terrier, West highland white terrier, Australian terrier, Bichon Frise, Bouvier des flandres, Chinese crested(bald dog except for head), Kerry blue terrier, Miniature schnauzer, Norwich terrier, Schnauzer, Soft coated wheaten terrier, Welsh terrier, Yorkshire terrier, Portuguese water dog, and too many others to name. The Maltese(as someone else mentioned) and Yorkshire terrier have this silky long hair, that is so similar to human hair. And although they do shed a bit, it is nothing close to how much my GSD sheds.

• a standard poodle. fantasitc smart dog funny playfull and nice. just dont give him or her one of the stupid hair cuts just let the dog have normal hair. please. you should also only get a dog if your willing to let the dog run free and look for stuff like rabbits and all the different smells that is what a dogs life is suppose to be. oh one more thing i got her from the dog pound . best place to get a dog have got 3 from there all great wonderfull dogs.

• There are several that are good with kids with minimal to no shedding. I've seen poodles recommended several times.http://www.akc.org/future_dog_owner/find_breed.cfmhttp://www.petcaretips.net/non-shedding-dog-breed.htmlhttp://www.advicenators.com/qview.php?q=445997There are questions you can answer here for recommendations:http://www.selectsmart.com/DOG/

• Terriers have short wirey hair, they do not shed much at all. I grew up with a carin terrier (like toto in the wizard of oz) she was a WONDERFUL dog, lots of energy to play with the kids, small, and loved attention. My parents bought her for us when I was 3, my sister 6. She was great with us from the beginning. I would highly recommend them. Also, Labs and Goldens are great with kids....but, not so great with the whole shedding thing =)

• I like the stuffed one answer. Well here are the best breeds for children. But don't forget that mixed breeds are wonderful too. I recommend checking out your local pound and shelters. American Cocker Spaniel, Australian Shepherd, Bassett Hound, Beagle, Bearded Collie, Bernese Mountain Dog, Bichon Frise, Bloodhound, Boston Terrier, Boxer, Brittany Spaniel, Bulldog, Collie, Coonhound, English Setter, Foxhound, Golden Retriever, Gordon Setter, Great Dane, Irish Setter, Keeshound, Lab, Mastiff, Newfoundland, Old English Sheepdog, Portugeuese Water Dog, Pug, St. Bernard, Samoyed, Siberian Husky, Springer Spaniel, Standard Poodle, and Vizsla. Now keep in mind that every dog is an individual, so one that you find may not be great with kids. Also, check out these breeds I listed and make sure that the rest of the dogs personality is something you are looking for. And don't forget exercise.

• Poodles are temporamental. Get a Shitzu. I have one and it LOVES my kids! He only barks when someone comes in late and he is protective of the kids. They have crawled all over him and he has never tried to bite them. He just loves them. Here's the best part: These dogs have a coat that is almost identical to human hair. You can curl it and style it and they DO NOT SHED. I Swear!! I have microfiber furniture and there is not dog hair on it. Their hair comes out like a human. Like when you brush it, it will be in the hair brush. I hate dogs, but this is the best dog ever!!

• Miniature Schnauzer is the dog for you! I have two precious schnauzers who are wonderful with kids and are a pure joy. They LOVE to play. They do not shed but you do have to have to have them groomed (haircuts cost about $25 to $30) every couple of months. Schnauzers are very intelligent and also very social and love to be with the family.

• I have a Bichon Frise. He does not shed at all. I also have four boys ages 3-9. They get along great together. I personally think this is the best breed for a family with children. I HATE shed hair, and I honestly haven't seen a single shed hair from our dog yet. I shed more than he does, LOL! I really didn't like the pictures I saw on the internet......you know, those weird show cut Bichons. I thought they looked pretty dumb. But the cool thing about them is that since they don't shed you can get their hair cut any way you want(or cut it yourself). It just keeps growing, so you can experiment with different cuts. They are many different breeds of dogs that don't shed. Do some research before deciding. I'm sooo glad I did. Good Luck.

• A stuffed dog.All dogs shed to some degree and most are not great with children. They can be trained to learn to deal with children but most are not great with them.All dogs require a large time and finincial commitment.

• I have a basset hound that is great. He maybe cross bred with a beagle, got him from a shelter. He is small in height (short legs) unbelievably strong and weighs around 50 lbs., all muscle no fat at all. He does shed though. He is very intelligent and loves to play and run. We got him at about a year old, was completely house broken (used the doggy door from day one) and likes his pet cage. He looks like the picture bassetnu has ears are a little shorter and is a lighter brown. Winchester is truly wonderful addition to our family in spite of shedding. Good Luck.