How can I be sure my pitbull puppies are going to a good home?

Don't freak out. You have to wait until they are at least 8 weeks old to adopt them out.You should charge a small fee for adoption. It has been found that people take better care of dogs they paid for, even if it's only $25-50. To get an idea of what…

Don't freak out. You have to wait until they are at least 8 weeks old to adopt them out.You should charge a small fee for adoption. It has been found that people take better care of dogs they paid for, even if it's only $25-50. To get an idea of what…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How can I be sure my pitbull puppies are going to a good home?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I be sure my pitbull puppies are going to a good home?

How can I be sure my pitbull puppies are going to a good home? Dog Breed Discussions
      Don't freak out. You have to wait until they are at least 8 weeks old to adopt them out.You should charge a small fee for adoption. It has been found that people take better care of dogs they paid for, even if it's only $25-50. To get an idea of what to look for, get the adoption application off the website of a rescue. Any would do. They've got questions on it you can ask potential adopters. You might add questions about dogfighting and about proper care of pit bulls. Ask these questions to adopters and make sure you feel comfortable with them as a person. It all comes down to whether you think they are a good person and think they'll be a good pet owner.Use the money you get to get your dad's dog spayed. You don't want to go through this again. Good luck!

How can I be sure my pitbull puppies are going to a good home? Dog Breed Discussions
    • i'm glad your family is very concerned! i would ask the owners a list of questions, like where they live and their phone number and information like that so you can keep in touch to see how the dogs are doing. you can throw a "family reunion" for your dog, that way you can see all the puppies again and make sure they still look alright! also, i am not sure how old you are, but you could give them to people you trust, like friends from school or even family. that way you know they will be in a good and loving home.

• It is hard to ensure dogs go to good homes, but there are steps you can take to be safe. I have worked in rescue and I have screened many people so I'll share some tips with you. 1 - Ask potential buyers to bring their families and other dogs with them. People that fight pitbulls generally are not going to have other dogs as pets and you can get a good idea about the person by meeting the rest of their household. And if they have well treated pets already, you can be confident that this addition will be as well. 2 - Ask for references, such as a vet, family and friends, as well as an employer. Don't feel bad about questioning their references. Any cood candidate will be happy to supply plenty of references knowing you will be calling them. 3 - Visit their home and ask to see where the dog will be kept4 - Question them about their knowledge about dogs, such as how to potty train, obedience train, and also how to socialize. In general, people that are knowledgable about proper ways to train, are not going to mistreat a dog. 5 - Ask about what they will feed the pup. It is a good sign if they have put some thought into this before getting a dog. 6 - Really watch the way they handle the pups. 7 - Go with your gut. If somebody doesn't feel right, there is probably a reason and don't fell bad about telling them they can't have one. Tell people you are going to interview all potential families and you will get back to them. If there is anyone you don't feel good about, just call them later and tell them that they were not chosen. Goldengal is correct about people using free pups for bait and snake food. Do charge at least $50. Do not give them away free because it keeps people from getting them on a whim and it prevents them from being mistreated. Good Luck!!

• i would reference check do like the animal shelter would do also you can ask your vet they might know of people or put a ad up at the vets and state reference checks will be done good luck with your babies

• I don't know if this is helpful, but just to give you an idea of our experience.We waited to breed our bit ch until we had just the right stud dog to breed to. We had qualified homes for 4 pups BEFORE the breeding. We had 6 pups. It took us 18 months to qualify the next two homes. About the same as it did to qualify the first four.

• Well first off since they're probably mixed breeds sell them for about $50 each. That way it will discourage the people looking for free pups and are probably not the best options.The next step you can do is go online and find a generic adoption form used by a local shelter. Have any wishing to take a pup home fill one out.And lastly, this is what my parents did for their pups, ask to exchange contact info. That way you can keep in touch with the owners to see how they're doing after say a couple months. My parents still get xmas letters from people they sold pups to 8 years ago. It's always nice to hear how your pups are doing. This might be going a bit far but any shelter will ask people to write them after a couple months to let them know how the dog is working out so it's not all that weird for a breeder to do the same.

• Interview each persons who wants a pup. Do check them out. Make sure they have a vet. Call that vet to make sure they are real people who this vet knows. Don't give them away. Charge at least 75 dollars for each pup.People who have to pay for as dog will be less likely to hurt them.People do horrible thing with free pups. I know for a fact that they will use free pups bait dogs for fighting. They will turn around and sell them to medical research place. Also be aware they will also give the pups to people who have large snakes for food.This DOES happen! Take as much time and care as you feel comfortable with before handing over one of your pup to anyone.

• If someone is interested in one of your puppies, then, I would recommend that they come to your house to the pup(s) first! If they want one of the pups, then tell them that you and your Mom (or Dad!), will arive at their house soon, to make sure that it's "pit bull puppy proof!" Also, that will give the people sometime to get toys, food, a kennel, dog bed and other stuff for the dog! Once you go to their house, and it looks good, then, you may hand over the puppy! But, if it doesn't look good enough for a pit bull puppy, then, I would recommend tell them what they should do to make the house more "pit bull puppy proof!" That way, you know how the pup will live it's life for the next 10-14 years! Remember, since the pups are young, you should have people visit them now, so, that they will all have homes! Also, that will give the people a few weeks to really make sure that a pit bull puppy really is good for them! You may give the pups off to their new owners when they are at least 8-10 weeks old! I hope that this answers your question! Thanks, and good luck,~ Future Vet

• You can't hence the problem with pit bulls there are to many people out there willing to jump through any hoops you may put up just to try and get a good fighting dog because they are able to make thousands off it. the only suggestion I personally can give is if your worried about one getting treated bad or going in fight spay your dog so you don't get any more this way you can give it all the love and freedom it deserves and it deserves a lot.

• Well, you can't be sure where they'll end up...some people look okay on the outside but could fight the dog, or sell it to someone else.This is why dogs should be spayed.I'd say charge at least 150.00 for them. Don't give them away or you're just about guarenteeing that they'll have troubles.8 Puppies. That's just horrible.Spay the dog since she can get pregnant again any time.Your Dad saved one dog, but has made 8 more unwanted dogs.

• Contact a local rescue and ask them to help you place them, you will need adoption applications, home visits, reference checks charge an adoption fee, vaccinate and spay/neuter before they leave, pediatric spay can be done at 8 weeks when the pups weigh at least 3lbs. they should be fixed before you let them leave,

• My dad saved this pitbull from the pound. She is a sweetie but he didn't get her fixed so she got pregnant...She had 8 puppies and they are almost two weeks old. Me and my mom are freaking out about making sure they go to a good home because of the reputation they have..Does anyone have any advice?