How do you make a pitbull mean to strangers but obident to owners?

It really saddens me to run into yet another irresponsible pit bull owner... You should never train a dog to be mean or to attack... It's not right. If a dog respects you as it's pack leader and you treat it right, with LOVE, they will protect you if…

It really saddens me to run into yet another irresponsible pit bull owner... You should never train a dog to be mean or to attack... It's not right. If a dog respects you as it's pack leader and you treat it right, with LOVE, they will protect you if…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do you make a pitbull mean to strangers but obident to owners?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do you make a pitbull mean to strangers but obident to owners?

How do you make a pitbull mean to strangers but obident to owners? Dog Breed Discussions
      It really saddens me to run into yet another irresponsible pit bull owner... You should never train a dog to be mean or to attack... It's not right. If a dog respects you as it's pack leader and you treat it right, with LOVE, they will protect you if needed... They shouldn't be overly agressive and show signs of agression to people on the street or anyone you encounter. If there is a real threat, dogs will usually protect their owners, provided their owners treat them with love and respect!

How do you make a pitbull mean to strangers but obident to owners? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You evidently don`t know much about the APBT. You will be playing with fire and you will get burnt. A different type dog is what you seek, any "pit bull" that is aggressive towards a human is destined to be destroyed unless you are being attacked or your home being broken into. If the dog is "mean" to strangers, what will happen when the dog gets loose ? ( and they all get loose). Just put the dog through obedience training and you`ll be surprised , it is all you need.

• After the dog has had a loving home with you for about six months, take it to obedience school so your pit can learn to sit,stay, heel, roll over, shake and other parlor tricks. Then after you have continued to be gentle and loving to the dog for about a year and a half and the dog is almost two years old, there are police dog training schools that train police dogs to search cadavars, attack on command, find drugs, etc. You can enroll your dog in such a training class but the training is rigorous and once the dog has "graduated" he really isn't a pet anymore but a working dog. Investigate police dog and guard dog training classes on line. Pit bulls, Rottweillers and Dobermans are all extremely dedicated to their owners and are gentle, kind hearted animals who demand respect. These dogs, if treated cruelly, will become cruel but are in actuallity very gentle and loving animals with good treatment. The problem with making your dog cruel through cruel treatment, is that they are not controllable by anyone and the dog may and probably will bite its owner and will be put to sleep as a result.Don't try to make a dog mean. By nature pit bulls are, as you say...wimps. Bad treatment and neglect has given them their mean reputation. Don't do it. If you want a large dog that will bark loudly and simply jump on strangers, get a laborador.

• Why do you want him mean to strangers? That's a good way to end up having to put him down later on because he bit someone. Who cares if he doesn't bark. Put up a beware of dog sign - or beware of pit bull and that'll be more than enough.

• And people want to know why pits get a bad rap?...look no further than to owners such as yourself. If you plan on making him mean then you might as well look into a rescue organization that will take him and find him a suitable home where he will not be encouraged to be mean.

• In this day and age of media-induced hysteria, you do NOT want to make your dog aggressive towards strangers, especially if it is a breed with a bad reputation. Pit bulls are naturally friendly with people and aren't generally watch or guard dog material. German Shepherds and Dobermans are more suited as watch dogs (but there are exceptions, of course). Dogs have very good awareness; if they think their owners are in danger, they will defend. You can teach your dog to bark at the door when strangers come to the door,and then stop when you say so (I included a link about this), but again, I can't stress enough how much encouraging human aggression is a no-no. Just socialize your dog, take him to the park, enjoy him. Make him a bully ambassador.

• Pit Bulls already have a bad enough rap. If you are looking to further ruin the breed, maybe you shouldn;t own one. If you are looking for an alert bark, that is different. Please re-write your question.

• You should never make your dog mean. Especially a pit bull, who is constantly under scrutiny for just being pit bulls. If anyone every so much as complains about your dog barking at them, it could be bad news for your dog, even if he is on your own property. You should make sure your pit bull is very well trained and obedient. It doesn't take much at all to get pit bulls into trouble with authorities and animal control.

• Hiya Hiya I'm Jezebelle and I'm a 12 weeks old Sable (Grey) GSD/papiolion and I'm here at Yahoo! Answers to answer dog questions from my point of view!To some this can be lots lots help full, But to others, its just stupid! please tell me what YOU think! just add a detail and ill check back later!p.s. here is my site: http://www.dogster.com/dog/566248...i find this wrong! if you wanted a guard dog- why not get a shepherd? a pittbull is not a family pet- and if you WANT it to be mean to strangers, and teach him to be mean to strangers- then you are just bringing on another pitt bull who attacks poeple! please! if you teach it to be mean to one person it will be mean to all

• Dont train a pitbull or any dog for that matter to hate or be mean to strangers. There will be a chance for the dog to attack a stranger and have to be put down. The sweeter the dog the better off you and the dog will be. DONT RUIN THE BREED, HELP THE BREED.

• Well you should never teach your dog to be mean. However you can teach your dog to be wary or cautious of strangers. Looking at the breed, that quality is already built in. Please do not teach any dog to be mean as this completely destroys the dog.

• Sounds like a question for a person who trains police dogs. And i don't think they'll share that information. You should be greatful that your dog likes strangers. Do you realize how much of a headache it is to own an aggressive dog? That's basically a law suit waiting to happen.

• you don't. pit bulls are not guard dogs. they are people dogs that love people, all people. you don't deserve your dog.the pit bull breed doesn't need any more bad press.