How to stop a pitbull puppy from nipping?

I address wrong behaviors the second the start, every time they start until I win the battle. I use the command "shame" When he jumps on you say "shame" and lift the legs off of you and dance him backwards, and when he sit, praise him. they don't like…

I address wrong behaviors the second the start, every time they start until I win the battle. I use the command "shame" When he jumps on you say "shame" and lift the legs off of you and dance him backwards, and when he sit, praise him. they don't like…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How to stop a pitbull puppy from nipping?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to stop a pitbull puppy from nipping?

How to stop a pitbull puppy from nipping? Dog Breed Discussions
      I address wrong behaviors the second the start, every time they start until I win the battle. I use the command "shame" When he jumps on you say "shame" and lift the legs off of you and dance him backwards, and when he sit, praise him. they don't like to be danced backwards so this doesn't take long to train. He could still be teething, so use carrots for that. I point, snap my fingers and say "shame" for biting, and when he behaves, praise him.

How to stop a pitbull puppy from nipping? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I see a possible human aggressive dog for the future here.At the moment you describe it as only nipping.Do you have any children in the immediate or extended family.For their sakes get something done about this before you have a tragedy on your hands!

• First off, do not assume that the pup does not know his strength. He knows exactly what he's doing and to who.Most pups have alot of energy that needs to be expended. Us pet owners need to help them to expend their natural pup energy or they will be forced to find ways to expend their energy on their own.Some dogs bark excessively, some jump on everyone, some bite and chew things, some dig holes, etc. These are some of the ways dogs find to use their energy.To keep them from doing the unwanted things listed above, dogs should be walked everyday, some dogs twice a day. And the way you walk them is very important. The leader of the pack (you) must be in front or next to the dog (the follower).Each pack can have only one leader and you have to take that role or the dog will. If you dog thinks he is the leader of your pack, he will walk in front of you pulling you along and basically telling you where you are going.He will jump on you,bite you, jump on furniture when he has not been invited. Check out Cesar Millans site, Dog Whisperer.He addresses all the common issues that people have with their dogs when the owner has unintentionally allowed the dog to be the leader in the household.http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/puppytips/puppy-development-stage-4

• I have a nipper too, when she plays. She's a Chihuahua though, so it's quite different. Everytime she does it I say "ow!" in a short, high-pitched voice, and walk away. This teaches them that the unfavorable behavior (nipping) has unfavorable results (no more play). We've had a lot of success and now she rarely nips. Also try and make sure you play with toys, not hands (wrestling is cute when they're pups, it gets old).

• Serious obedience training with a Professional. NOW. Do not play with Pit Bulls. they are already suffering from a terrible reputation that makes them difficult to place. Make sure yours gets the training he needs and now. At 6 months he should know all of his commands (maybe not perfect but enough to know not to jump or bite).

• Its very important that you have your dog trained or train it yourself. If you do not he will get worse as he gets older and something serious could happen.If you are not an experienced person at training a dog you may want to get a book called Puppy's First Year, its available on Amazon for 89 cents and is one of the best training guides I have seen. Not only does it work well with new puppies, it works great on older dogs.

• I have a 6 month old blue nosed pitbull. He is really an awesome dog but when he gets excited he jumps on you and nips. Its not to bad but because he is so big he does not realize his strength at times. I want to stop this before it gets out of hand. Any suggestions?He has been too all the training classes and has passed them with flying colors. It just seems like he does it only when he gets too excited.

• When ever he does it. Sit him down away from you and anyone else and if he moves get on to him make him feel excluded. kind of like time out. Repeat every time. The dog will learn not to. Also when he does it dont play around with him while hes doing it this will make him think its ok. Im not saying flip out. But when he does it stop everything get up and let him know he's wrong. Repitition is always key though.