How do I train my pitbull to get along with another dog?

where did you get your dog from? keep seperating them if they get to the point where they are being to physical. your dog could just have gameness about him/her and plays rough. i have a pure pit who plays with his aunt witch is only 1 week older and she…

where did you get your dog from? keep seperating them if they get to the point where they are being to physical. your dog could just have gameness about him/her and plays rough. i have a pure pit who plays with his aunt witch is only 1 week older and she…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do I train my pitbull to get along with another dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I train my pitbull to get along with another dog?

How do I train my pitbull to get along with another dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      where did you get your dog from? keep seperating them if they get to the point where they are being to physical. your dog could just have gameness about him/her and plays rough. i have a pure pit who plays with his aunt witch is only 1 week older and she is rough with him. she likes to hog the toy and guard it. if the 2 dogs don't get along as they get older then its just that. not all dogs get along with eachother. take your dog to the dog park and see how he does with other dogs. just dont let him have a bad experience and try to stick by him.

How do I train my pitbull to get along with another dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Pit bulls tend to be dog aggressive, so properly socializing him/her can go a long way. I took my pit bull to doggie daycare two to three days per week, where she socialized in a controlled and supervised environment. Remember, puppies also learn how far they can go by other dogs, for this reason it VERY important to socialize him/her with as many dogs (of different sizes) and with children and other pets as soon as possible. Take it slow and make sure it's on neutral ground. Home territory may spark a territorial aggression issue with one of the dogs. I would set this up with a trusted dog. In other words, a dog that your friend owns or someone in your training class. One that you know is well behaved with other dogs.Remember you own a breed that is getting a bad rap, learn about the breed and the do's and don't. My advise read...read and then read some more. Start with http://www.badrap.org/rescue/socializing_new.pdf

• Since this breed can e difficult to control as they get older I would enroll in an obedience class. Most of the big pet stores have classes as well as the dog clubs in your area. They teach you haw to reward gentle play and how to disipline the not so gentle play. They'll also teach you to teach your dog to come when called which will be helpful when he gets to rough with the other dog. If you could call your dog away immediately it starts the rough play over and over it'll learn real quick to sneak in the play dates quietly(gently too) so as not to get your attention. This'll teach it also pretty quick the difference in the two play styles. One gets stopped the other doesn't.

• How young is your puppy? if he is less then 5 months or so he still learning and they will learn to get along. the older dog will simply tell the pup where to go. you can step in and distract them if you think they are getting to rough but i woudl let the older dog teach the younger one how to behave as long they are using growls and body language to tell the puppy that they are agitated. Even snapping as long it doesn't connect arn't uncommon to see when an older dog or even antoher dog is telling another dog to back off.

• I recently had to move in with my parents who own a German Shepherd/Collie mix. My pitbull is still a puppy and hasn't learned how to play nice and is way to aggressive with the other dog. The other dog has been attacked by other dogs before so she doesn't like anything aggressive. Basically, it looks like they both want to play but they both don't know how to play with each other due to their extremely different behaviors. How can I train my pitbull to play nice?

• How old is your pup? The older dog?Try clicker training. For both of them. It's fairly easy (takes some practice on timing) but can be very useful for helping shape appropriate behaviors.http://www.rewardingbehaviors.com/forum/