How do i train my pitbull puppy to grow up to be friendly and not agressive?

It could be friendly like a Golden Retriever with the right training. When you say you rescued the Pit Bull, from what did you resource it( if it was used as a fighting dog or came out of one of those positions it will never be, but because of its age if…

It could be friendly like a Golden Retriever with the right training. When you say you rescued the Pit Bull, from what did you resource it( if it was used as a fighting dog or came out of one of those positions it will never be, but because of its age if…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do i train my pitbull puppy to grow up to be friendly and not agressive?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do i train my pitbull puppy to grow up to be friendly and not agressive?

How do i train my pitbull puppy to grow up to be friendly and not agressive? Dog Breed Discussions
      It could be friendly like a Golden Retriever with the right training. When you say you rescued the Pit Bull, from what did you resource it( if it was used as a fighting dog or came out of one of those positions it will never be, but because of its age if assume it wasn't)? You just need to be able to dominate the dog, now this doesn't mean constantly hitting the dog, you just have to let him know who's the alpha or you'll never be able to train the dog to be friendly. You really would be surprised if you knew how many pit bulls I know that are extremely friendly... im not scared of the, and I'm scared of most large dogs- probably 5/7 pit bulls I know are completely fine with other people and animals. Great question! Good luck with the training of the pit bull! :)

How do i train my pitbull puppy to grow up to be friendly and not agressive? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I agree with Buffy 100%.Pits are much more driven and intellegent than any old retriever. But one thing you should know, he will never be like a golden retriever. The best thing I can tell you to do is to socialize, train and raise your puppy properly so he can be an ambassador for our breed.You want your dog to be the best dog he can be. Take your puppy to obedience classes, take him out for a walk around the park or even invite kids around the house to get him used to children. Pits are typically very human friendly. Now, when they reach maturity, you might encounter dog aggression but that can simply be curved with socialization. But it won't be erased or cured..Please make your dog an ambassador for our breed.durdenslabs..: Pits are not guard dogs and I have met plenty of them that live in multiple dog homes.

• As long as you have the dominance & give the dog structure, obedience & love you should have no problems. Mine is doing just great & he even came from an abusive home. Good luck!

• As the other people here have said: Start socializing him/her as early as possible.. Take it on walks and to the park and introduce it to new people and dogs.Enroll it in obedience classes as soon as you can... You could probably wait a couple of months to start, but don't wait too long and don't neglect to do it altogether.Pit Bulls are wonderful dogs. They love humans and crave positive attention from us... But they do require knowledgeable owners, so do your research on the breed. There is a ton of useful information online about them and I'd recommend reading what you can.Having said that they're wonderful dogs, that they love humans, etc... They're not great with other dogs, typically.. Proper socialization is key here and even with that, you'll always need to keep an eye on your dog around other dogs.. Even if its one that he/she has known for its entire life.So, all in all, training training training and lots of socialization!

• Pit bulls are very human friendly. It's how they are bred. If you treat them nice, socialize them properly, and aren't agressive towards them you'll have a normal/friendly dog. As the pup grows up, it may become agressive towards other dogs. Pits have a high prey drive and smaller dogs and cats are considered prey and get attacked. Larger dogs are more of an "adversary" to a pit since pits are known for their dog agression.If you want a great family dog that will guard you and you don't have other dogs you'll be fine.If you expect this dog to get along with other animals, you may need to find him a different home that can meet his needs.

• ummmm i would cuddle with is allot take it on losts of walks to so that it does not have the energy to be mean! but dont walk tell got alll he's/her shots ! thanks can you answer mine itsWhat would u rate my german shep dog ( pictures ) i have them this time!?

• I own 2 American Pit Bull Terriers. These dogs have bred to be nice to humans, in the past a human-agressive pitbull dog was culled immediately. The main problems with these dogs are food/toy agression and dog-dog agression. Raise the puppy with lots of love and bring him/her around lots of other people and pets! My male pit is 8 months old, and as sweet as honey, my female is almost 3 months old and is spunky, but absolutely LOVES people! Keep their enthusiasm for meeting new people/animals up at all times and you'll be in the clear!BLAME THE DEED NOT THE BREED!!!! Pitbulls are wonderful family dogs when raised with love and training, just like every other breed of dog!!Good luck with your pup!

• The same way you do any other dog. Socialize it with other people and dogs as much as possible and train it properly,. Its not going to be "like a golden retriever" because it is not a golden retriever. It is going to be like a friendly well behaved pit bull, which is exactly what it should be

• It will never be like a golden. Pits are much more intelligent, driven, and eager to please than any retriever. All you have to do is socialize her and work with her EVERY day. Pits are not inherently aggressive towards people. Dog aggression, yes. That can also be trained right out of her. Take her to petsmart, a dog park, or a friend's house that has other dogs. Keep her leashed at all times of course, and introduce her to new dogs very slowly and make sure you are closely monitoring her. With every success, praise her, when she shows signs of aggression toward an animal, correct her. You will probably never have a problem with human aggression, especially if you keep her WELL socialized with people from a very young age.You must be FIRM with her in her training, and CONSISTENT. Dominance and consistence in a handler are KEY. Work with her every day and treat her well and you'll have the smartest, most loving and loyal dog you've ever seen!! Good luck with your baby, and thank you so much for rescuing this misunderstood breed!!ADD: Durden, you are right about the dog aggression, but it is not a vice that cannot be fixed, my pits live with two other mix-breeds and they get along beautifully. Also, a pit probably isn't even the best guard dog. They are bred specifically to be eager to please to humans, and very human friendly, which means they're even friendly to intruders, unless they are certain the intruder is a direct threat to the family. If you want a guard dog, a dobe or rottie is a better choice.