What do I do with my pitbull and labrador retriever?

I don't think the pup is going to hurt them but the mother should be away from the pit and she should be inside to make sure the pups stay healthy. The lab may become aggressive with the pit if it gets too close to her newborns so just keep them…

I don't think the pup is going to hurt them but the mother should be away from the pit and she should be inside to make sure the pups stay healthy. The lab may become aggressive with the pit if it gets too close to her newborns so just keep them…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What do I do with my pitbull and labrador retriever?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What do I do with my pitbull and labrador retriever?

What do I do with my pitbull and labrador retriever? Dog Breed Discussions
      I don't think the pup is going to hurt them but the mother should be away from the pit and she should be inside to make sure the pups stay healthy. The lab may become aggressive with the pit if it gets too close to her newborns so just keep them separated until the the pups are about 6 wks.

What do I do with my pitbull and labrador retriever? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I have dogs of all different ages at different times. Right now I have a litter of four week old puppies and I have a 4 month old golden pup. The four month old was NOT introduced to the litter until the litter was three weeks old (no dog but mom was actually). The third week I would take one puppy out and show it to her, let her sniff it and kiss its face, but that was all.The fourth week, I take the a baby puppy out, put it on the floor/bed/whatever, and I make the four month old lay down when she gets near the puppies. If she becomes too playful or excited, I roll her onto her back until she is calm again and try again. She has caught on perfectly and now does not have to be told what to do. She just lays down every time she is around the little puppies, tail wagging and tongue out the side of her mouth. Just keep them seperated for the first three weeks and introduce them slowly.Also, Mom will probably growl at the pit when she comes near for the first bit. Let her do this, it's natural and it lets the pit know that she needs to be careful

• You need to give the lab a private place of her own where the pitbull cannot disturb her. Nursing moms usually will not tolerate even friendly dogs around their newborn pups. Puppies and dogs have been killed when a dog got too close to the pups.

• The puppies will be just fine. I have a 3 year old boxer and 2 guinea pigs and we let the guinea pigs out and my dog don't hurt them he licks them as if they were puppies! He is a destructive dog too. Your pit bull is still a young dog and when you introduce animals to animals at a young age they will get along easily.

• You need to bring in the lab and put her in a room that is able to be closed off. Like a spare bathroom or something, because you need to keep a close watch on the puppies, and with the house broken problem, just take her outside any chance you get. But the puppies do not need to be outside until they are about 6 weeks old, or when they have been weaned.

• your pittbull is still pretty young, but I think you will be surprised. Dogs have an understanding when it comes to puppies and are more gentle than you might expect, not to mention Mom is going to do a good job protecting her babies. Keep an eye on them but you might want to put in some temporary fencing to separate them.

• My lab is going to have puppies anyday now. Her and my 4 month old pitbull live together in the fence in the backyard. They get along great but I'm afraid the pitbull is going to be too playful with the puppies and hurt them. Neither one of them are housebroken and they are destructive when let out of the fence. What do I need to do? How do I need to arrange them so that everyone is happy?

• I have a JRT who is extremely.... excited all the time. A few weeks ago, our cat had little kitties and I was afraid my dog would be hurtful to the kittens. But believe it or not, he was actually very gentle and watchful over them. I can't be positive but I think the dogs will act pretty much the same way.