How can I Get my pitbull to walk on a leash?

u dont need a training class. he just doesnt understand why he cant move and it scares the dog. so first dog use a leash just tie him up and sit down by him. call him and have him come to you. he will prob be scared and not want to move at first then…

u dont need a training class. he just doesnt understand why he cant move and it scares the dog. so first dog use a leash just tie him up and sit down by him. call him and have him come to you. he will prob be scared and not want to move at first then…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How can I Get my pitbull to walk on a leash?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I Get my pitbull to walk on a leash?

How can I Get my pitbull to walk on a leash? Dog Breed Discussions
      u dont need a training class. he just doesnt understand why he cant move and it scares the dog. so first dog use a leash just tie him up and sit down by him. call him and have him come to you. he will prob be scared and not want to move at first then dart over to you. keep moving and calling him. he will begin to understand and do the smae exercises with a leash. he'll learn

How can I Get my pitbull to walk on a leash? Dog Breed Discussions
    • try walking soemwhere. when the dog pulls turn around. when he tries to jump or run away, try to IGNORE him and he'll want to follow YOU... how does that

• Bring along some AWESOME treats (not just ordinary biscuits, but like, chicken or bacon or something great-- you can even use his favorite toy) and bribe him to follow you with those, and reward everytime he follows you for a small distance. Gradually increase the distance, and then eventually wean him off the reward all together.

• Try leaving the leash on him for longer periods of time just loose with him doing what he normally does. Praise him if he seems like hes getting used to it and is acting calm and take it from there slooowly. Give him treats/feed him when the leash is attached to show him its a positive experience.

• Try giving him a little pull. or build his self confidence by clipping on his leash and just letting him walk around with it dragging on the floor. Then after he gets used to the leash being attached without you holding it, try picking the leash up and walking slowly giving him treats every time he walks with you.

• have u been able to walk him at all during these 8 months??maybe you can try to motivate him with treats...take some in your pocket and give him a small treat every block that he walks, etc.EDIT: i would not use a harness on a pit bull unless you are training it for a pulling competition

• We have a 8 month old pitbull and he wont walk on a leash for anything.We live at the beach and its been about 70 degrees during the day and we'd like to take him to the water.Anytime I clip it onto his collar he tries to hide under a bush or a sofa.What can I do to make him get used to it more?He has worn a harness,but I havent tried to walk him in it.I'll try it laterNo,I havent been able to walk him at all.He obeys my dad more than he does me[even though he's my dog!] and he wont even walk for him.

• maybe he doesn't like being restrained by a collar. have you tried a harness?? it's much more comfortable for the dog not to mention they make them where they'll tighten if the dog pulls so that it won't pull. just a thought. good luck!