Do you really believe pitbulls are vicious and a dangerous breed?

I own a rednose female pitbull named Emily. She is 4 years and I rescued her from Orange County Shelter when she was 6 months. She is wonderful, VERY smart, alert, and calm. She is not dog aggressive and great with kids. I love her so much and wouldn't…

Do you really believe pitbulls are vicious and a dangerous breed?

I own a rednose female pitbull named Emily. She is 4 years and I rescued her from Orange County Shelter when she was 6 months. She is wonderful, VERY smart, alert, and calm. She is not dog aggressive and great with kids. I love her so much and wouldn't…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Do you really believe pitbulls are vicious and a dangerous breed?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• its in their nature to be violent but its all about their training. you can train them to be the sweetest loving dogs. unfortunately they are breed to be mean and vicious but those pit bulls that are not are good dogs.

• No, I do not believe pitbulls are innately dangerous. Some of the sweetest and most loving dogs I've met are what commonly called "pitbulls". Indeed, I've found them very loving and very social animals. When there is a problem dog, there is usually a problem owner in the background. Dogs are social animals, and they are what we make of them. Unfortunately, because they are both strong and intelligent, many problem owners are attracted to this breed and turn them into problem dogs -- but they are made into them, not born that way.

• Any dog can be a dangerous dog if there if no training. My mother was bitten by his sisters chow chow that just snapped and bit another person and had to be put down. Pitbulls and bulldogs and some other breeds have fighting in their blood so there is more aggression that needs to be properly trained. And the reputation of the pitbull has people afraid of a tame dog that has no intention to do them harm. Also most people don't know what a pitbull looks like, so almost every dog they see is a pitbull.

• it all depends on the breed and how you raise it do not play any games where they have to bite you i have 4 dogs 3 which are at least half pitbull the only reason they haave for hurting someone is if their being made fun of or teased. keep it social like your lab and it will turn out fine.

• Pitbulls certainly do have a reputation for being a dangerous breed and some countries have banned them. It seems as though there are some misleading information about them though as mentioned in the link below. For instance, "Pit bulls are classified as having an average temperament with breeds such as the golden retriever actually being known to be more aggressive". There is also information on this page to help you know what precautions pitbull owners should make.

• Yes, Pits can be dangerous but only when taught to be that way! I have a Pit (raised her from a pup) and a Springer Spaniel. The two play well together and also play well with my grand kids. My Pit has NEVER.........I repeat.....NEVER been aggressive towards anyone. It's all in the love you raise them with.

• I believe that pitbull owners determine the kind of adult they will become.With proper socialization and training pitbulls can be a real sweet dog. They are fast learners, eager to please but need a lot of early socialization. With good breeders, good parents, early socialization and lots of training these dogs make great pets. Unfortunately there are those owners that are still breeding to develop the meanest baddest dog in the ring. PitBull fighting is an underground sport in many areas. Recently in some major cities have banned APBT. Forcing owners who have been responsible and never had any problems with their pitts to give away their friends. Another problem with Pitts is that some home owners insurance are requiring an underwriter if a pitt is kept on the premises. They don't ask if it's a good dog or not, to them it's a liability. I have heard of some insurance providers that will waive the underwriter if the dog has earned his AKC Canine Good Citizen (CGC) Certificate.

• yes... i do. i know many many people who have gotten there dogs killed by them. plus 1 girl that got mauled... i think that they are dangerous and wouldn't let my dog near one. but other dogs can be mean too, ones you would think of. golden retrievers for example, one killed 3 kittens at my aunts house.

• Pit bulls are big babies, at least the ones I have been around are. Of course you need to socialize any dog. Be careful when you discipline the dog. Don't spank it because this can make the dog aggressive or break its spirit, but this is true for any dog.Just socialize the dog and it should be friendly. I have honestly never met a vicious pit.

• I think that pitbulls are not mean and viscious but just misunderstood because lots of people fight with them so they are treated bad and so I just think that they are misunderstood.

• no they are not vicious unless they are abused themselves or provoked to attack. i have owned pit bulls for over 10 years and none of mine have ever attacked or even shown aggression toward a human or other animals, except a rabbit or two but that is very natural for any dog.

• Absolutely not. They are a powerful breed and it would be irresponsible to own any powerful breed or any breed for that matter, and not know how to handle them, socialize them to pets and people and train them to basic obedience commands.I have one I rescued at 2 1/2 weeks old. The owners were taking the litter to the SPCA because they were overwhelmed by the puppies and didn't want to take care of them. The SPCA in my town will euthanize any dogs that are pit bull or pit bull mixed, which affects more than one breed, btw.My little AmStaff mix is a big teddy bear at 52 lbs. She barks in public and gets a bit overboard with that around water, but is not aggressive and has been obedience trained and socialized to people. She is the safest around kids when relatives visit at my home. I have three dogs, she is the only one that has any pit in her and she is very safe, after all, the breed used to be bought for the purpose of being "Nanny dogs" or guardians of children.She sure cleared my mind up about the breed. They are highly intelligent and easily trained, too! That is my experience.

• My friend has a pitbull Goliath which may be the sweetest dog i have ever met. What makes him even more amazing is that Goliath was abused and left abandoned and they adopted him when he was 2 years old. They were careful not to play tug of war with him or allow him to nip on anything. Goliath is a very cuddly dog and i have never seen him be violent or even the slightest bit aggressive to another person or dog. As long as you raise him to be loving i'm sure you will have a great dog. Read alot of books about the breed so you know what you are getting in to and the best ways to raise a gentle dog. Good Luck!

• Many of my friends and neighbors have had pit bulls and they are wonderful dogs. They have always been sweet and playful. Sounds like you're on the right track since you already know they need training and socialization.

• They aren't dangerous but they are stubborn. My older brother has one and she is the sweetest thing in the world! They are hard to train because they're stubborn and like to play a lot...and i mean a lot. The stories you hear on the news are because of the way the owner treats them...some people train them to act like guard dogs and that's when they do get mean. They are actually really sweet and playful dogs.

• Great information for potential owners, on the American Pit Bull Terrier breed:http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanpitbull.htmNo, APBTs are NOT vicious or dangerous, if raised & trained properly. It's the owners that cause the aggression, by training them to be aggressive.Every APBT I've encountered have been nothing but loving cuddlebugs who don't realize they're too big to be lap dogs.

• No. Pits can be as sweet as anything. I f you keep your pup in her place, train her well and treat her kindly, she will be an excellent friend for years to come.ps be sure to get her spayed asap