How do I get my 2 year old pitbull to get along with other dogs?

Forget about,seriously !The breed standard states:"Because most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression and because of its powerful physique, the APBT requires an owner who will carefully socialize and obedience train the…

Forget about,seriously !The breed standard states:"Because most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression and because of its powerful physique, the APBT requires an owner who will carefully socialize and obedience train the…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do I get my 2 year old pitbull to get along with other dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I get my 2 year old pitbull to get along with other dogs?

How do I get my 2 year old pitbull to get along with other dogs? Dog Breed Discussions
      Forget about,seriously !The breed standard states:"Because most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression and because of its powerful physique, the APBT requires an owner who will carefully socialize and obedience train the dog."http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/Breeds/AmericanPitBullTerrier12012012Your dog is now mature.Mature Pit Bulls are often dog aggressive,especially with strange dogs.Nothing will change this.It is genetic in nature.The dog can be trained in an effort to lessen reactivity and display towards other dogs.This breed does not belong in dog parks or other off leash environments with strange dogs.More info...http://www.badrap.org/dog-parkshttp://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?3113-Pit-Bulls-and-Dog-parks

How do I get my 2 year old pitbull to get along with other dogs? Dog Breed Discussions
    • This is why I don't take my Lab to a dog park. I don't want my dog to be "friendly" with other dogs, so I don't allow him around other dogs. You won't be able to have her around other dogs, because this is a genetic issue and will never go away. She'll be like this for life. Re home her if you're not able to handle this, this is why APBTs shouldn't be owned by pet owners, because they are not suitable as pets. They are working dogs and require an owner who works them in something that controls their animal aggression, such as hog catching. Socialization will do nothing.

• "I just want to be able to go to the park and not have to worry about other dogs being around"Then you should have chosen another breed. Pit bulls are *supposed* to be dog-aggressive, it's genetic. She is simply behaving like a proper pit bull. Forget about taking her to dog parks, and find other things to enjoy with her.

• Dogs can be trained no matter what breed. This can be trained out of the dog but will take a long time and a lot of patience. You may have to talk to a trainer and tell the trainer your situation. Not keeping her socialized as she got older was probably where it went wrong. But no matter what people say, she can be trained again. Sometimes it just takes taking her to the dog park and making sure she's on a leash and every time she gets aggressive just yank her back on the leash. Don't be afraid to hurt her, she's a pit bull, she's tough. You have to tell her NO loudly and firmly and if you have to, stand in front of her and block her with your body so she knows you mean business. That's really the only trick I know. You really need to talk to a trainer, one that knows this breed well. I can't stress that enough.

• I have a female 2 year old pitbull. I used to bring her to the dog park when she was a puppy and she did fine. When I moved into my permanent home I stopped bringing her places as much also because she had puppies. Now it has been a year and I have gotten her fixed and tried bringing her to just a normal park and she would show aggression toward every dog. But she gets along with all the dogs that she has known her whole life. I just want to be able to go to the park and not have to worry about other dogs being around. Anything will help I dont know where to start.

• American Pit Bull Terriers are prone to dog aggression so that's not totally uncommon. What you did is you stopped socialization when you moved and she matured, so now it is going to be a little tough trying to get her back to where you were with her. Try to talk to a trainer and have them help. But use trainers who are familiar with the breed.You can Start by training her to Leave It! It is a great command and works with my German Shepherd. She is Very dog aggressive, but I have it controlled now. Put a Muzzle on her in the presents of other dogs at first, and use treats or toys, whatever she is more motivated to, and train her to focus on you. She will take her attention off other dogs and onto you. She will probably not want to play with new dogs as she is matured and not well socialized, but you can have it to where you can bring her into pet shops and places with other dogs and she won't react or act out. She will be calm and Focused. We did it with our dog and she can now be close to another dog without acting out or showing aggression.How does she react to other dogs. Like does she just bark and go at them or is she calm until one comes up to her? There is a difference. My Pit Bull was okay with dogs until they got in her face then she would growl, but never attacked another dog.