Would a pitbull be good with my other dog?

I have two, one older one much younger and at times they have issues but nothing big.When I went to get the younger one I took the older one with me and let them meet in a neutral area.It is not advisable to bring a new dog no matter the breed straight…

I have two, one older one much younger and at times they have issues but nothing big.When I went to get the younger one I took the older one with me and let them meet in a neutral area.It is not advisable to bring a new dog no matter the breed straight…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Would a pitbull be good with my other dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Would a pitbull be good with my other dog?

Would a pitbull be good with my other dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have two, one older one much younger and at times they have issues but nothing big.When I went to get the younger one I took the older one with me and let them meet in a neutral area.It is not advisable to bring a new dog no matter the breed straight into the home where there is already a dog who feels this is his space.Let them meet and spend some time together,several hours,to be sure they are compatible.A dog leaving the kennel should get some outside time ,anyway,so they don't think they are simply exchanging one set of walls for another.Good luck.Congrats on your breed selection,they are wonderful dogs but they do require a lot of work and training,but they are so worth it.

Would a pitbull be good with my other dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • it depends on the dog really, how it was raised and such.pitbulls are known to turn on other dogs sometimes-but NOT always. you need to ask a lot of questions to whoever you are getting the dog from, you want the dogs history- has it been around other dogs? try to get your dog to meet the pitbull before you bring it home and see if they are compatible.But even if they get along for a while it does not gaurantee that they always will. when I was young I worked at a humaine society and there was a great pitbull there named diesel. we had him at the shelter for about 4 months before he was adopted, and he was great with kids, adults cats and other dogs, but one day for no reason (other than the fact they were both un neutered males) he attacked a dog not even 1/2 his size, a little american eskimo, and killed him instantly.its your choice, but definetly get the history on the dog before you buy, and think about it carefully. Pitbulls are an amazing breed of dog and I hope this goes well for you! my boss has 2 pitbulls in the same house as her german shepherd and 2 poms, and they all get along great!

• It does depend on both dogs. If you are getting the Pit Bull as a puppy, that may work out the best for you all. Research the APBT breed (if that is the type you are getting) and how to socialize them with other dogs. I have an APBT that I got as a rescue pup at a very very early age. She lives with her two adopted sisters and since they have all been well trained and supervised during training, they are great dogs that get along great and don't need to stay in kennel cabs or crates when we are away. Today we made rounds for Christmas breakfast and then dinner and they were home alone. A neighbor took them for a potty break. Other than that they were all home- free reign of the whole house and with no puppy proofing necessary (all are trained adults now) and they did great, as usual.Usually one of us is at home more often than not, but occasionally we go shopping or to movies or out to dinner iwth friends or to parties and the pups stay home alone.

• no , pittbulls are really protective, and will fight the other dog and before to long , you will get problems ariseing i would start with a small puppy, or even a young dog that way the older dog ,will feel its top dog

• Hmm, depends. Are you getting a pup or an adult....but I'm guessing you;re getting an adult? When I got my pitbull from the shelter, they had a place where I could hang out with him, outside plus the shelter I went to could test the dog to see how he/she would react to other dogs. My pit was caged with another dog so he was fine. But I had, at home, a great dane and a fiesty chihuahua. I was more worried about how my pit would get along with the chihuahua because he could be a pain in the @ss. I took the pit home and the dogs did fine. Though there were times that the chihuahua would harass the pit to death, I'm not kidding! He would follow him around, nip his legs, grab at his ears, but not once did the pit flinch or nipped back. Weird but very good.Anyways, if I were you and adopting a pit from a shelter or rescue, I would ask them if you could bring your dog in to see how both will interact with each other. And look for an older dog, like 3 or older because I know for a fact that most pits that are turned in are between pups to 1yr. That sort of energy mixed with your dog just wouldn't mix. If your dog is wimpy as in it shys away from other dogs or something along those lines...then ugh...no.

• Okay so i know pitbulls are good dogs and a good breed to have with kids but i was wondering if a pitbull since there an agressive kind of dog and very protective if it would get along with my other dog which is kind of a wimpy dog and will it still let me give my dog the same amount of attention i give it now?

• It depends on the dog. Some pit bulls are very dog tolerant and love to have a buddy. Some are extremely dog aggressive and cannot be out with another dog in the house. Ever. I would get a spayed/neutered adult from an experienced rescue. That way you kind of know from people who know the breed the level of dog aggressiveness that the dog is likely to show. In general though, most pit bull folks I know can't let more than one dog out of their crate in the house unsupervised at a time. It's just too big of a risk. You might also look more into the American Stafforshire lines and the Staffordshire bull terrier lines. Some of their lines are less dog aggressive than some of the American pit bull terrier lines. Good luck.