what are the pros and cons about owning a pitbull?

First off, I think it's DESPICABLE that anyone would chain their dog up in the back yard because the dog flops on their belly. Funny, I managed to get through my pregnancy with 3 pitbulls without having been damaged in some way. Disgusting.Secondly,…

First off, I think it's DESPICABLE that anyone would chain their dog up in the back yard because the dog flops on their belly. Funny, I managed to get through my pregnancy with 3 pitbulls without having been damaged in some way. Disgusting.Secondly,…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : what are the pros and cons about owning a pitbull?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• what are the pros and cons about owning a pitbull?

what are the pros and cons about owning a pitbull? Dog Breed Discussions
      First off, I think it's DESPICABLE that anyone would chain their dog up in the back yard because the dog flops on their belly. Funny, I managed to get through my pregnancy with 3 pitbulls without having been damaged in some way. Disgusting.Secondly, some pitbulls are NOT naturally human friendly anymore, primarily because of bad breeding practices. Though, human friendliness was one of their ORIGINAL and most desired traits. They also require a great deal of socialization (I always like to say TWICE as much as any other breed) because of societies' stigmatisms against them. So be prepared to do a MASSIVE amount of socialization, through it's life, to keep that happy go lucky pup. Pitbull puppies are naturally friendly, but they learn that things can be scary once they hit puberty, this is a critical socialization time.You also need to be aware that pitbulls have a dog aggression tendency (this was purposefully bred into them for the sheer sport of dog fighting), be aware that when you're on walks, dogs that are nearby may become a source of anxiety and excitement for them. Always use a STURDY leash and collar that they can't slip out of.As far as being friendly with children? I have a pitbull that is stranger shy, (she has issues with accepting new people, it takes 3 or so times of meeting them in my home to be friendly towards them-- otherwise she barks, and growls, but does not approach them, she's quite afraid), but she does famously with my child, who is now approaching 7 months. She adores Zoey, and Zoey adores her.http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee334/kwinnypoo/John002.jpghttp://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee334/kwinnypoo/Hehe001.jpghttp://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee334/kwinnypoo/RAw005.jpghttp://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee334/kwinnypoo/perch.jpgIf you do the correct socialization, and training methods, I have no doubrt in my mind that you'll end up with a fabulously behaved pitbull, they're naturally people pleasers, so they really just want to do best by you! Show her what makes you happy! She'll strive to do it!

what are the pros and cons about owning a pitbull? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Pitbulls can be sweet, loving and great with families. They really are an amazing breed. But on the other hand, in the wrong family, they can be dog aggressive. It is a breed that requires a strong owner and constant obedience training. They are not for beginner owners. They require experienced owners and they are not a breed for everyone. Not any Joe Schmo can own one and train it properly. If you do plan on keeping this dog, socialize it more than any other breed. Keep it in constant training. Furthermore, don't let the stares of hate and the words of hate discourage you from loving this dog. Many people fear the breed. But they've never seen the loving side.

• Pit bulls are said to be bad and mean dogs. Because back in Old English times they would 'bait meat' This means that they would be put in a pit and fight and kill the bull using their teeth. The English loved the sport so much, that they would not by beef products unless the meat was baited. That is how they earned their name.Since the day, different people have treated them differently. Because of this, some are mean and most are nice. But that goes for all dogs really. It really depends on how you treat them. I have a female three years old Full Blooded American Pit Bull Terrier. And she loves people. But as long we let you in the gate she will not let any one inside. Her name is Dot.Personally I like Pit Bulls, because they are cute in their own special way! :) And my dad's planning on getting a male Pit Bull with blue eyes. {Dot is fixed so she can't have puppies.}The point is: It doesn't matter what people say about them. It's really how you raise them.

• Does your friend have kids or is the pit bull normally around children?If not than I would be very wary about having her around your daughter. Kids can be rough with animals, because they don't know any better. Lets say your daughter pulls the dogs ear and she snaps at her in self defense. The dog is just protecting herself, but your daughter still gets bit. See how she is around your daughter first and than make your decision.PLCG~

• There are many pros and cons to owning any dog. Let me just start off by saying that she is at a good age for training. She is still young enough to where you can mold her into whatever you want her to be. Pitbulls are very loyal to their owners and the biggest sweethearts around. They thrive on human affection and love to please us, therefore they are quite easy to train. They are not aggressive dogs by nature, you just have to teach both the dog and your daughter to respects each others' space. There is something you should keep in mind though: if you are going to own a Pitbull, make sure you have enough time and space for them to exercise because they are very active dogs by nature. I suspect that she will make you & your family very happy, it sounds like she already is actually. I say keep her, that way you know she will be well taken care of and you won't be left wondering what could have been. Good Luck to you, your family & your puppy!

• Pit bulls are very human friendly. They were bred to be dog fighting dogs (as we all know) and when breeding for this, dogs who were aggressive to animals but friendly to humans were selected. Think about it. If you're one of the dickheads who fights dogs, you want a dog that will fight well, but wont hurt you. So as far intentionally hurting you or your daughter, it wont. At least not anymore than another breed will (I've actually been bitten twice and once was by a golden retriever and the other time by a lab, neither of which are breeds people ever accuse of attacking humans and are commonly considered good family pets).But everyone else is right, they are tough, powerful dogs who often don't realize their own strength. So with that in mind, there is the potential for accidental harm.

• First of all,it's nice ,one of the pros ,you can train her because its living with you,but this kind of dog ,is they nature to be aggressive.I think it's better to give away the dog ,for your daughter security and to be safe.What is more worth?the dog or your cute little daughter?Think about it. Good Luck!!!

• YES!!YOU SHOULD TAKE CARE OF IT!!!! Pittbulls are beautiful and kind animals and they luv children!!! some pittbulls are vicious, because they are either mistreated, or trained to be vicious, they were NOT born vicious. Do NOT say no to the offer just because u have a 2 yr old kidps:take good care of it!!

• Pros: Being licked to deathConstant companion for you and your daughterA beautiful and one of the sweetest dogs aroundCons: People giving you dirty looksSaying bad things to you about your dog and how you are a terrible mother( I get it all the time)BSL laws(Breed Specific Legislation)Alot of training and socialization. And for you who said small dogs. Small dogs and children do not go together. EDIT: Rosa, it is in their nature to be aggressive? Now you find me one place in the breed description where it states that. Pit Bulls were not bred to be aggressive to man kind. They were bred for dog fighting.

• PROS: they love kids,they love attention,they tend to themselves meaning they dont do a whole lot of barking unless something is going onCONS:society has made them out to be bad dogs,and they dont like to be outside away from their family,you have to get extra insurance for themand i put that as a con b/c i had my pit since she was 5 weeks she was a house dog but now im pregnant i had to put her outside b/c she always came and flopped on my belly and she cried so much but pits love kidsand actually the pit ranks higher on temperament test than German Shepard's,beagles and other dogs

• Here is the deal on Pit bulls. Now I say this after getting attacked two months ago my poor little puppy got attacked an I got bit in the crossfire. She is alright now but remember...Pit Bulls are not necessarily more aggressive than other dogs but they are VERY powerful. They can be good dogs and great family pets. But once they have their mind set n something they are going to do it and they can cause a lot of damage. I would say that you could keep the dog if you are willing to be that dogs pack leader. You may need help with this. If you keep her take her to obedience class and learn how to be the Alpha dog and you will be fine. If you can not control the dog or are not willing to do what it takes to be the pack leader then you are asking for trouble from this breed. Check out Cesar Milan for more information, he knows how to handle the strong breeds.

• Pit bulls are excellent with kids. They have been nicknamed the nanny dog because of that. I once had a Pit bull who was an ex fighting dog and she turned out to be just fine with my kids. If you feel uncomfortable keeping this dog then find an appropriate home for her.

• Pros:They are loving dogsThey are obiedientThey can protect your home (although I would not rely on that because the majority of Pits are really friendly with strangers)They usually are good with kidsCons:They are large dogs and can hurt a child accidentally They can be "animal aggressive" do not confuse this with "human aggression"They have a lot of energy so you would need a lot of time to be able to exhaust their energy (they need at least 1 hour walk a day)The stigma that follows this breed makes it hard for the owner to to find places to liveAlso because of the stigma the dog will be limited to where it can go in public.Before you make any final decisions you need to think long and hard about this. If this is something you think you might really want to do, then I suggest that you educate the hell out of yourself. Education is key!!!! You have to have a TON of knowledge about the breed and proper dog ownership. Being a good dog owner is not simply feeding and petting it takes a LOT of hard work and consistancy. Plus if you do get this dog, make sure this is a commitment you are willing to make for the rest of its life. Only 1 out of 9 Pits live out their natural life. Out of the 5-7 million animals killed in shelters every year, 1 million on average are Pit Bulls. So if you wanna do this, it has to be for the rest of this dog's life. Good luck. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanpitbull.htmhttp://www.pitbulllovers.com/http://www.pbrc.net/

• Pros: they're fun, energetic, sweet, and loving.Cons: can be pretty high energy (which can also be a pro), are discriminated against which can make it harder to find rental apartmentsWe have a pit bull and she is an absolute sweetie and she loves kids. I guess with any medium to large dog, you just want to be careful when they are playing, they can jump around a bit and could accidentally knock into someone. Ours only does that when we encourage her to play though, she doesn't just act crazy for no reason.

• It is nearly impossible to get homeowners insurance if you have a pit bull. All companies will drop you for having a pit along with several other types of dogs.The pro's are that you will have a super loving and intelligent dogs.Another con is just the general perception of pitbulls. My neighbor has one and when I call it a pitbull he girlishly lies and says its some sort of staffish terrier, which is just a european pitbull.I had one for years, along with many ofmy friends and they are AWESOME dogs. It's just the homeowner's insurance that keeps me from getting one.

• Pitbulls are no more aggressive than any other breed. Every dog is individual so temperament depends on genetics plus the amount of positive training and socialization the pup receives. The only con I can think of is the public perception that all pit bulls are mean and can't be trusted which is just plain ignorance and prejudice.

• people* have a negative connotation about pitbulls, but its people that make them mean dogs.i have a pitbull mix and he is the biggest sweetheart in the world. he's about a year old and he loves kids. he is a little rough, but only with adults, cause that's how he likes to play, but i'd say that with any big dog.they take great direction, obey, and love spending time with their owners. i love my pitbull!

• I was offered to keep a 4 month old pitbull female that i would take care of for a friend since the pitbull was one month old. I am still debating whether to keep her or not! I am afraid of keeping her because i have a 2yr old daughter and I want to keep her because i became attached already! So i would like to hear other peoples perpectives on this!