any tips on owning and raising a pitbull pup?

I have been begging my parents for a pitbull for awhile now. The other day my mom got her hair done at my cousins house and they have a HUGE pit pup named B'Cari. He kind of grew on her. My mom has been afraid of pits for as long as I remember. When my…

I have been begging my parents for a pitbull for awhile now. The other day my mom got her hair done at my cousins house and they have a HUGE pit pup named B'Cari. He kind of grew on her. My mom has been afraid of pits for as long as I remember. When my…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : any tips on owning and raising a pitbull pup?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• any tips on owning and raising a pitbull pup?

any tips on owning and raising a pitbull pup? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have been begging my parents for a pitbull for awhile now. The other day my mom got her hair done at my cousins house and they have a HUGE pit pup named B'Cari. He kind of grew on her. My mom has been afraid of pits for as long as I remember. When my older sister leaves and after my other sister has her baby I may be able to get one. If I am able to I really want to be prepared any tips? I do have experience my entire Family has pit-bulls, Dobermans, Rottweilers . Any strong dog names I really like Hawaiian names like Kahuna. I have been researching training pits, not for fights of course, but like tricks and obedience. Tips on what I should feed him, socialization, tricks. Thanks!

any tips on owning and raising a pitbull pup? Dog Breed Discussions
    • If you're getting a true American Pit Bull Terrier, socialize socialize socialize.Do not ever take it to the dog park. Do not ever leave it unsupervised around children. Do not EVER have it around other animals smaller than it.ADD : Lol I got thumbs down, why? For giving good advice?... If you didn't already know Pits have a little bit of animal aggression, dog parks are not good ideas. That doesn't make them bad dogs, it's just how they are... And it's never smart to leave a child around any dog unsupervised...

• The worse thing about a kid desperate for a dog and getting it, is that shortly after you get the dog you'll find that you haven't got time to walk it before school, you can't come home at lunch to walk it again and feed it, and then after school, instead of hanging out with your friends you would be expected to come back home and water, feed, walk and clean up after your dog.That's a lot to do, and go to school. Your parents, most probably your mother, will end up doing everything for that dog, and that's not fair. Pit bulls, especially need lots of human interaction. They are extremely strong animals and need proper handling.

• 1. dont buy a collar for your pit ever!! get the pit a harness because pitbulls LOVE to pull and make you run with them =_='2. if you can, take the dog to school - it will be a lot easier for you to manage and deal with the pitbull if you can get them used to other dogs and people as well (my pit shes good but has a tendency to be aggressive towards other dogs)3. if you can, get a lot of kids to play with the pup while they are young and until they grow up so the dog can see that kids are gonna be kids 4. you dont have to, but getting another dog might help the pitbull become less super teritorial and aggressive just really all depends on the attitude of the dog5. make your pitbull love water!!! :D take them in the pool and hold onto them during the entire time in the pools, and get on the steps first before taking them straight in..cause my pitbull she LOVES water like even to the point she will GLADLY take bathes..she'll be the first one in the shower before i can even get the water on =_='but, last but not least6. make sure you dont give them raw-hides, give your pitbull real bones and antlers because raw-hides they just go through them like effin wateranyhow. enjoy your new pit!! :DPSPSPSPS. my mamas (my pit) she hasnt turn against me and i even have videos of her up on youtube of how rough i play with her, but like i said it really depends on the attitude if the pitbull youre getting so i do recommend to spend a lot of time with a puppy and see which personality of the pitbull will work with your family.

• My only advice, is to do tons research.The correct spelling is Pit Bull..short for American Pit Bull Terrier. Also, a HUGE "pit" pup, is more than likely an American Bully, not an APBT.Given these two corrections, I'd say you are not ready.

• Pit Bull.... I dont even know where to start...I have owned APBT's my whole life and was raised around them, in no way were they ever a threat to me. Ever. For you "people" that apparently think that Pit Bulls are the only dogs that can bite and harm a child, you need to get a reality check. I have been in worse situations with golden retrievers.My tip to you is not getting one at all until your more familiar with the breed. Go to a neighbors or someone that has experience and has owned/own a Pit Bull and familiarize yourself and ask for tips there as of right now i think you should wait rather then throwing yourself out there and just getting one.

• socialize while he is still young, let people pet him, and play with other dogs. Also you should take him to a dog park when he is older (but only if you know he wont harm anyone or any dog)Not a pit bulls are aggressive, know your facts.

• You will need to start from an early age to socialize and train your dog. American Pit Bull Terriers can have dog aggression issues if not socialized properly. Take them with you as much as you can, let them meet as many other dogs and people as you can. Also, get them around as many situations as you can when they are young so that the dog is not fearful as it gets older. (crowds, loud noises, etc...) Because of the bad media with the breed the above mentioned is very important. You will want a dog that will promote the breed, and not add to the bad reputation they already have. A lot of APBT's have food allergies, and corn is not good for them so make sure whatever food you use, corn is not the main ingredient. Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, and The Pride are all good choices.(The Pride is the cheapest of those and you can get it at your local feed mill.)