why do people cut the tails of dogs like rottweiler,doberman etc.what happens if the tail is not cut?

The owners are vain and think that by changing their dog's appearance it will reflect upon them as looking good. I think it a cruel practice. They are born with tails for a reason.

why do people cut the tails of dogs like rottweiler,doberman etc.what happens if the tail is not cut?

The owners are vain and think that by changing their dog's appearance it will reflect upon them as looking good. I think it a cruel practice. They are born with tails for a reason....
    Dog Breed Discussions : why do people cut the tails of dogs like rottweiler,doberman etc.what happens if the tail is not cut?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• why do people cut the tails of dogs like rottweiler,doberman etc.what happens if the tail is not cut?

why do people cut the tails of dogs like rottweiler,doberman etc.what happens if the tail is not cut? Dog Breed Discussions
      The owners are vain and think that by changing their dog's appearance it will reflect upon them as looking good. I think it a cruel practice. They are born with tails for a reason.

why do people cut the tails of dogs like rottweiler,doberman etc.what happens if the tail is not cut? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I have a dobie, so I got the answer down:Originally, the doberman breed was developed by a tax collector to offer him some protection on his route. The ears were cropped and the tails docked so that if some "bad guy" was getting after the dog, he wouldn't have anything to grab hold of. Today, the ears are cropped and tails docked for cosmetetic reasons (especially for dogs going into the show ring).I'm sure the reasons are similar for other dogs soch as rotties and boxers.

• People dock tails and crop ears for showing and breed standards.In Europe its illegal to do either of them.But if you think about it have you ever seen a rottweiler with a long tail?Ear cropping is particuly common in Great Danes and pharoah hounds.Ear cropping is a horrible thing to put your dog through.Tail docking is just as horrible if you're thinking about the operation.But it dosn't matter if your dogs tails aren't docked your dog will just have a long tail which is natural.

• the tail is cut to meet breed standards and the pup feels no pain......just like when they circumcise boys right after birth.....think about that.....funny thing is that people tend to favor that over cutting the tail of a dog....crazy world we live in...lol

• Mostly for looks and breed standards. Most had a reason behind docking tails when they were all working dogs. But since most dogs don't work livestock anymore, or are used for their other breed specific intentions, people will still do it for looks.Tails, ears and dew claws are all done at an early age (preferably), but people still have it done so the dog will look "right" according to breed standard. Generally nothing happens if you let the tail stay natural. It may get injured, but there are lots of dogs with full length tails that do just fine (aka labs). I got my Rottweiler at 8 weeks old with tail undocked. I left it that way, no sense in uneccessary pain. Him and his tail were just fine throughout his lifetime.

• I have a rat terrier with a bobbed tail. This breed used to be used to get rodents out of their burrows, so the tail was bobbed to about four inches so the owner could reach into the rodent hole, and pull the dog out by using the tail as a handle, while the dog was latched on to the rodent. The tail bobbing custom continued, even though I don't use my dog to go after rodents!

• They try to make these guard dogs as slick and effective as possible. Can't pull on his tail, Mr. bandit. Plus, they look cooler that way.They are given an anesthetic so its not painful if that's what you're worried about.

• Docking tails (and ears) on certain breeds defines their traditional look. If the tail isn't docked the dog looks odd for its breed, but so what? You'll just have a long-tailedRottweiler.

• Tails were originally docked on these breeds for a number of reasons -- among them, giving adversaries (human or canine) one less thing to "grab" during an altercation with the dog, and getting the tail out of the way during drafting (pulling a cart).Now that these dogs are not generally used for the work they were originally bred for, tail docking has become a "hold over" or tradition from earlier days. Some people think it helps define breed type, or gives the dog a classic "look".Tails are no longer docked in Europe. The only thing that happens is that the dog has a normal-length tail, instead of a stub. In fact, I was at a dog show this past weekend and saw 2 Rottweilers being shown who had full tails. They were imports from Belgium/Germany, and their tails were never docked. Didn't change the quality of the dog one bit, IMO.

• For some breeds, the hunters would dock the tails of their dogs so that the constant wagging would not scare off their prey. I'm not so sure how that applies to all breeds that have docked tails. At some point along the way it just became customary to do so. Nothing happens to the dog if the tails are not docked.

• nothing will happen if they aren't cut, depending on their purpose.the tails of many dogs were clipped, jsut like getting ears clipped b/c it served the original pupose of that dog.remember that dogs were not typically family pets. they were used for work puposes. whether it was hunting, guarding, etc. so we adapted their bodies to suit our purpose for them.