Should I get a Pitbull puppy or a German Shepard puppy?

I want a good intelligent guard dog and I'm thinking about either a German Shepard or a Pitbull. I want one of the two but I can't decide which would be better. Any suggestions?

I want a good intelligent guard dog and I'm thinking about either a German Shepard or a Pitbull. I want one of the two but I can't decide which would be better. Any suggestions?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Should I get a Pitbull puppy or a German Shepard puppy?...

• Should I get a Pitbull puppy or a German Shepard puppy?

Should I get a Pitbull puppy or a German Shepard puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
      I want a good intelligent guard dog and I'm thinking about either a German Shepard or a Pitbull. I want one of the two but I can't decide which would be better. Any suggestions?

Should I get a Pitbull puppy or a German Shepard puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I would go with a German Shepperd, they are intelligent and can be excellent guard dogs. Pit bulls are also nice, but tend to be more dog aggressive than people aggressive and you may find it hard to walk him/her around other dogs or people.I agree with Bravosix, researching different breeds and their temperaments would be of great assistance to you. You would also learn the specific needs of the dog that you choose.

• Getting a dog like a pit bull and encouraging it to be a guard dog should be abuse. This is why there is such a sterotype. Pit bulls can be extremely dangerous when encouraged to "guard" properties. They are not safe to be used for guard dogs. Encouraging a dog to guard a property promotes territorial aggression. Getting a dog that has physically destructive capabilities (eg the jaws of a pittie) and encouraging it to act that way is asking for trouble.

• I hope by guard dog you don't mean "lives outside" because that really ruins a dog.And a dog is a companion. If you need a security system, install an alarm.Every dog is different even within breeds.Talk to an adoption counselor at a shelter about your different options

• German Shepard, from personal experiance, pitbulls are a pain in the rear! Theyre cute as hell butt agressive, stong, stubborn and hard to train. Ive never had a German Shepard, but i heard thre awesome gaurd dogsgood luck

• German Shepard, they are smarter. I would get an Akita Inu, if I were you. They are similar to a Shepard, only a million times smarter and stronger. They were bred for guarding the imperial palace in Japan, and for bear hunting.

• Pitbulls don't make very good guard dogs, they'll bark....that's for sure, but they won't protect you from a thing, they love humans too much. I own an Amstaff and can tell you if you go for a pitbull, you have to be prepared to really take a lot of heat for even owning that dog. Both are awesome gorgeous dogs, and take an experienced owner whos prepared to be pretty firm.PS Pitties are really smart too, they are also Police dogs and search and rescue dogs, don't sell them short now :)It really worries me when not one person on here can even spell German Shepherd.....hmmmm.

• Pitbull is NOT recommended, they can easily go rouge even after a lots of training(i know) and it will probably get you to the police station if it hurts any1 lol. asheperd is much more calm and yet strong, dont believe ppl saying pitbull is better, they just think it looks cooler, seriously.

• i suggest a german, as the pittbull can be very tempermental. and edgey, i think the german sherpard is a more soical and family dog but are great a protection. the pittbull are kinda dangerous