Should I get a Pitbull puppy or a German Shepard puppy?

I want a good intelligent guard dog and I'm thinking about either a German Shepard or a Pitbull. I want one of the two but I can't decide which would be better. Any suggestions?

Should I get a Pitbull puppy or a German Shepard puppy?

I want a good intelligent guard dog and I'm thinking about either a German Shepard or a Pitbull. I want one of the two but I can't decide which would be better. Any suggestions?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Should I get a Pitbull puppy or a German Shepard puppy?...

• I haev a pit bull and if you want to even consider them as a pet, make sure you are interested in having a dog that is considered part of the family. cause they are the kind of dog that likes to be around you all the time adn are very attached to thier owners.but they are really smart and easy to train, and can be wonderful pets if loved adn cared for the right way.

• I would go for a German Shepperd dog, they are more intelligent and obedient. A Pitbull will bring you lots of trouble, your homeowners' insurance premium will be jacked up due to the liability and risk of having a "dangerous" breed of dogs. And you will have to pay some other extra fees, and be visited regularly by a worker from the SPCA. ..and be required to have some special type of fence around your house etc. etc. So go for the German Shepperd ...they are better dogs than the pitbulls.

• id go with a pitbull...there very family oriented, sweet, loving dogs and will do anything for there owners if trained properly, but defiantly the best guard dog! Pitbulls need a lot of attention thought, they have a lot of energy and need to be walked/ ran and played with a lotEDIT: okay DO NOT listen to jperrit they obviously have no idea what the hell there talking about and dont own a pitbull..I have NEVER once had an SPCA worker come into my home and make sure my dogs okay...my house insurance isnt through the roof because i own a pitbull. oh and i dont have a 'special' fence or pay extra fees for chosing to own a pitbull.

• Pits and shepherds are very common breeds. You could probably find a pit/shepherd mix at the humane society. Generally any large dog with a deep bark will be a theft deterrent without you needing to train them to be “guard dogs”.

• Personally I like both but it all depends on what you want I like German Shepard's cuz my cousin has two and they are extremely intelligent and great with kids but, i also like the pit bull cuz i used to own one mine was very sweet and kind to me and my family he didn't like strangers or other dogs but that was just how he was when we got him. He got used to us after awile and he fit in the family just splendid... anyways good luck

• Doesn't matter what breed you get. All will protect their owners if their owners raise it with love and let them be a part of their family.Whatever you do, NEVER buy a dog from a pet store. Please research puppy mills and their connections with pet stores.http://stoppuppymills.org

• ok, most ppl on here, have no idea what there talking about, pitbulls used to be the number 1 dog in the county, and the number one family dog, back in the 1900-1930, then their popularity started to dim, but german shepherds used to get a bad rap,(as bad as pitbulls have today) back in the 1980's. they were known as killers, mutilators, but they arent, no1 can say such a thing about a breed, and no their brains dont get too big for their head and crack, and they are one of the most trustworthy breeds out their, pitbulls are not guard dogs, as they were bred to be nice to humans, one of the VERY FEW breeds that were bred to be very nice to humans in fact. if your looking for the intelligent guard dog, get the german shepherd