Whats a good breed of dog to buy for a farm?

We dont want any more collies. we dont want collies because thats all we have had for the past years. We want soemthing differnt.

Whats a good breed of dog to buy for a farm?

We dont want any more collies. we dont want collies because thats all we have had for the past years. We want soemthing differnt....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Whats a good breed of dog to buy for a farm?...

• Forget about breeds. Consider getting a mixed breed dog from the local animal shelter instead.Not only will it be cheaper to get a dog from the pound/shelter than buying a purebred, mixed breed dogs are often less prone to genetic disorders common to "pure-bred" dogs and will likely be cheaper to own in the long run. There are a number of great mixed breed dogs just waiting for a home like yours on a farm with room to run.

• It really depends on the livestock.If you want a dog that will watch over the herd (sheep, goats, cows), go with a Pyrenees or Anatolian shepherd.If you want something that will interact with and herd the animals, go with a German shepherd, Australian shepherd, Pembroke corgi, Bouvier des Flanders or even a Soft-Coated Wheaton Terrier.If you want an all-around outdoorsy dog, go with a Labrador retriever, Golden Retriever, or still a German shepherd.Hound dogs are great, too - Redbones, harriers, beagles, bloodhounds - but they may get carried away with following their nose and not watching over the farm.

• Australian Shepherds are great farm dogs. They love the exercise, are great family dogs, and if you have sheep or cattle, they are excellent herding dogs. Very loyal. My vet has a farm (she has horses and sheep) and she has 4 Aussies - one of her Techs has a farm and she has 6 Aussies that herd her sheep and cattle.I do not have a farm but I do have two Aussies. Wouldn't trade them for anything - they herd my daughter :)