Anatolian shepherd information?

I just found out my mutt, Tabbi is part Anatolian Shepherd...No wonder she's so frazzling...What I know about them is dat they are flock guardians and guard dogs. Or at least that's the most known...Need information, experience, books, sites, ect if…

I just found out my mutt, Tabbi is part Anatolian Shepherd...No wonder she's so frazzling...What I know about them is dat they are flock guardians and guard dogs. Or at least that's the most known...Need information, experience, books, sites, ect if…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Anatolian shepherd information?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Anatolian shepherd information?

Anatolian shepherd information? Dog Breed Discussions
      I just found out my mutt, Tabbi is part Anatolian Shepherd...No wonder she's so frazzling...What I know about them is dat they are flock guardians and guard dogs. Or at least that's the most known...Need information, experience, books, sites, ect if anyone has any... Thnx

Anatolian shepherd information? Dog Breed Discussions
    • There are LGD (livestock guardian dog) sites on the internet that talk about Anatolians. We currently have 2 Great Pyrs, but our previous LGD was 1/2 Anatolian. He was a sweet boy (a rescue), had hip dysplasia and was eventually killed when he wanted a mile down the road into the middle of a busy highway. That's one issue with many LGD breeds: they were bred to roam large areas and sometimes our "small" farms just aren't large enough. In some cases, they will also "adopt" your neighbor's animals and protect them, too. It will amaze you how these huge dogs can jump and dig to get out just so they can roam. It can be annoying because sometimes they'll dig a hole and then lead the goats or sheep OUT of the pen. Some roam than others, and in some cases neutering does not stop the problem. They are roaming their territory not necessarily looking for a mate. I'm not sure about any major differences between Anatolians and Pyrs, other than the obvious looks. Both were bred to care for and protect flock animals, such as sheep or goats. I've been told that about 80% of LGDs do this naturally; the other 20% you might as well make into pets from the get-go. If a LGD is a natural, he'll amaze you with his love for the flock. Our Pyrs are incredible, letting the tiny baby kids literally walk all over them and lying beside sick or dying goats, but yet they can be very fierce. If a LGD is put out alone with the goats/sheep (say on a very large ranch) and not socialized, they can be quite aggressive, and even some socialized dogs can be stand-off-ish to outsiders. They are also not known for their "trainability"- although you should at least try to teach them basic obedience. Most of what they do for the flock is from instinct. Ours are also very loving toward our daughter....she can do almost anything with them and they love her. As I mentioned above, our previous dog had hip dysplasia which is common in these breeds. The Pyrs also have a "double-dew-claw" on their feet. Anatolians may have this as well. Hopefully your Tabbi will exhibit the tender, protective, loving nature of an LGD without the negatives.