How do i keep my dog in the pen?

I have a 8 months old dog. We leave him outside for about 8 hours while i got to school and my parents go to work.We built a pen for him in the back yard, it's made of concrete slabs (floor), and a tall wire fence. around it.The 2nd time we put him in…

I have a 8 months old dog. We leave him outside for about 8 hours while i got to school and my parents go to work.We built a pen for him in the back yard, it's made of concrete slabs (floor), and a tall wire fence. around it.The 2nd time we put him in…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do i keep my dog in the pen?...

• How do i keep my dog in the pen?

How do i keep my dog in the pen? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a 8 months old dog. We leave him outside for about 8 hours while i got to school and my parents go to work.We built a pen for him in the back yard, it's made of concrete slabs (floor), and a tall wire fence. around it.The 2nd time we put him in there, he bent up a huge hole in the wire fence, and got out. After we fixed it, we kinda like staked the edges of the fence down so he couldn't get up under them.And again, he got out.But this time he chewed a hole in the fence! he chewed right through it!!So then, we doubled the fence around it. like we put 2 layers of fencing.We were SURE that he wouldnt get out now.but then.. well you know ho it goes. he chewed through the 2 layers of fence.So then my dad was just like ok, whatever. we let our dog stay in the backyard all day.we gave him things to keep him busy, but he started digging. He is tearing up the yard and we are going to have to get rid of him if we can't find a way to get him to stop, or to stay in the fence plz help! =[We DO put his water and food in the pen. We also have a crate. oh yeah, and since its so hot here, we have a little swimmng pool in there!!! he just wont stay in!He cant stay iside a room for 8 hours. we have already tried that. he will seriously like chew up the wall, scratch at it, and just tear everything up.

How do i keep my dog in the pen? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Do you have a dog sitting service anywhere nearby-you must be spending a fortune on fences, perhaps if you take the dog somewhere where they can play and run around all day, it wont dig stuff up and chew through the fence.

• That had to be some cheap fence...probably the kind for chickens! I bought a regular dog kennel and had to put railroad ties around the edges. make sure the dog has shade. Throw a tarp over the kennel if necessary and put at least water in the pen while you are gone.Give the dog a ball and some chew toys(rawhide, bones, etc) also. They get bored.The dog I have now is small enough that I just bought a crate and keep it in the crate when I am gone.

• I agree with gating him in a room in the house or buying a crate for him to be in the house. He sounds like he suffers separation anxiety. I think your best bet is to try something new. Dogs dig. They just do. You can make him an area where he is allowed to dig. Put landscape timbers around his favorite place to dig and just let him have it. Or bring him inside in a quality crate. How about doggy daycare? Or a friend of family member that would be willing to dog sit during the day. Neuter him if he isnt already.. that 'might' help. Feed him a better food with less grains. Carbs are not part of a dogs diet in nature and a lot of corn and pother grains might be causing him to have to much energy. Choose a food with no more then 2 grains listed in hte first 5 ingredients.

• I always, perhaps unfairly, think very little of anyone who says they will have to 'get rid' of a dog. I know it is a turn of phrase, but it is one I personally find uncomfortable and distasteful.As for how you keep you dog in his pen, or your yard, I think they key here is exercise, exercise, exercise. He needs lots of walking or running, to burn up his physical energy, so he will be more content to do nothing for 8 hours a day, and, more importantly, he needs his MIND exercised, so he has better things to work it on, than trying to escape. Please consider hiring a dog walker to see to him at LEAST once in the day, but, if this isn't possible or affordable, please consider re homing your young dog to a household who is prepared to cater for a young, active dogs' needs. And if this is what you do, PLEASE don't go out and get another dog until your working / schooling hours have changed.Good luck.

• You may need to get a chain link type pen. Try a Menard's type store they have pens you can set on concrete, thateven have tops for climbers. Remember! concrete gets real hot. you need some kind of pad to keep from burning his pads. Something for shelter and shade.

• I have two large Anatolian Shepherds on my farm and I have been very succesfully containing them with a 4 foot tall electric net fence from Premier fencing. The first couple of week in the pen I had the electricity on and they learned within hours to respect it--that was months ago and the fence hasn't been charged since. It will fall down sometimes and they still won't leave the pen. The premier website is www.premier1supplies.com. I think the fence I have is called ElectroNet--I got it for my sheep, but I think they have some more permanent net fencing that might be better. Good Luck!