Anatolian Shepherd breeders!?

I am looking for good working bred anatolian shepherd breeders! I am extremely picky and will only buy from people who are responsible and are not in the puppy factory business. Any good links welcomed thanks!I know- it is very risky finding a true…

I am looking for good working bred anatolian shepherd breeders! I am extremely picky and will only buy from people who are responsible and are not in the puppy factory business. Any good links welcomed thanks!I know- it is very risky finding a true…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Anatolian Shepherd breeders!?...

• Anatolian Shepherd breeders!?

Anatolian Shepherd breeders!? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am looking for good working bred anatolian shepherd breeders! I am extremely picky and will only buy from people who are responsible and are not in the puppy factory business. Any good links welcomed thanks!I know- it is very risky finding a true reputable breeder online- I thought I'd try anyways. ThanksI have been searching for awhile and just cannot find a breeder I feel is reputable. This dog would be used as a sheep guardian, and therefore I am extremely picky as to the home it comes from (a true ranch rearing is a must, and preferably not show lines). I will just keep my eyes peeled and start digging deeper. Thanks-

Anatolian Shepherd breeders!? Dog Breed Discussions
    • If you want a good one you will probably have to import a dog from Europe or Turkey. I know of one breeder in the US, and i wouldn't buy a glass of water from them. Their mantra is that if you love the dog and make it a part of the family, no training is required to make it work as you will have all that love returned to you! These people need to be stopped.

• Try the parent clubs for the breed the ASDCA and ASDI, Inc. websites (see links below).I happen to be a breeder myself and we are having our first litter possibly this spring, depends on when our girl decides she's ready. Just as an example of the things we will do so you can weigh it against potential breeders you consider:We will have an extensive questionnaire to fill out, an interview process and discussions. Overall I prefer working homes as ASDs can be difficult house pets for people. They have a totally different mindset than say a Labrador or German Shepherd.Our puppies will come with a health guarantee, and the parents will be screened for hip dysplasia, thyroid disorders and elbow problems. We are also finding lines that are not highly inbreed and have import lines.We've researched and been involved in this breed since 1997 but this is our first opportunity to breed them. I am very excited.My advice to you is go through the breed clubs. The ASDI, Inc club in particular requires that ALL dogs that get registered through them pass the hip scoring and do not have hip dysplasia. They also require the breeders follow a code of ethics. Make sure you get a good health guarantee of at least a year, that they require you take the pup to a vet within 72 hours of bringing them home for a check-up, and that they will be there for you for the life of your dog.Also if you are going to work this dog it is an absolute MUST that you buy from a breeder who has livestock. And not just a few horses but whatever you are going to have the dog guarding. They need to imprint on the livestock. There is a great book you should read also that describes how this process works in LGDs called _Dogs_ by Raymond Coppinger and Lorna Coppinger.There are other great books but that will be a good start. There is a book on Anatolians too that will be on my required booklist that must be read before the puppies come home.We are still developing our website but you are welcome to check it out when it is up. Right now it's just my cats. I will be posting articles about the breed, a book list and links to breeders I know and admire. Also the breed clubs! Good luck! My heart was lost to this breed long ago and I've never been the same since. =)NOTE: If you want a working dog go through the breed clubs, the ASDI is through the UKC which has more emphasis on working ability and a more rounded dog vs. AKC which is mostly the conformation shows (beauty pageants). Also my female is coming from a breeder that raises her pups with livestock and my girl is already well on her way with goats which is a load off my mind. Be prepared to be carefully screened though and I am not sure she has any puppies left but you can always inquire about her waiting list. http://www.shepherds-rest.com/Working dog breeders are here, you can find them and just ask when you call or email what livestock are the dogs with? What livestock are the puppies exposed to and how much exposure? Goats are not that different from sheep so a dog started on one should adapt to another especially if you are getting a young pup.There is also rescue but I've had bad luck there myself finding a good and safe working dog. Usually they are in rescue for a reason, unfortunately, and that's often because their owners didn't know how to handle/train them or just didn't bother. And I think many are there because someone tried to make a house-pet out of them and was expecting it to be easy like with a Labrador or something.Take care!Dawn CampbellPendraig Anatolian Shepherds