Why do rottweilers still have a stigma attached?

I like the look of a rottweiler. They are so cute.

I like the look of a rottweiler. They are so cute....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Why do rottweilers still have a stigma attached?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why do rottweilers still have a stigma attached?

Why do rottweilers still have a stigma attached? Dog Breed Discussions
      I like the look of a rottweiler. They are so cute.

Why do rottweilers still have a stigma attached? Dog Breed Discussions
    • The only experience I have ever had with a Rottweiler was terrifying! It licked me and wanted hugs and belly rubs! AHH!! lol People are stupid. You are correct in thinking that proper training will keep the dog well behaved. My mom is terrified of Rottweilers, Dobermans, etc. I keep taking her to places where I know they will be so I can train her out of it. lol

• I got a 4 month old rottweiler puppy and he is great, loving but once I reached for his bone and he bit my hand. But he is doing a lot better on that. I also have a rottweiler/gsd mix and I treat her so good and because of this and because I let her get away with stuff she is attached to me and when I take her to the vet she does have to be muzzled because she growls and acts like she would bite..but other then that she is great. Rottweilers are my favorite breeds as well as german shepherds I don't know which one I love more. I say go for it and get a rottweiler if your willing to give it the time it needs. Because my puppy rarely ever sleeps he is up constantly playing with my other dog.

• Unfortunately, yes I think there is a stigma attached to Rottweilers as they are considered a vicious breed. I have two Rottweilers who are very loving and affectionate. They would not hurt a fly because they have been raised in a loving home and have been properly trained. However, we do walk our dogs around our neighborhood and some people go out of their way to avoid my dogs.I think that any dog, no matter what breed, could be deemed vicious if it was treated poorly and not trained.I have no regrets about my sweet Rotts and encourage anyone to take them into their home. They take a lot of patience, but are truly wonderful!

• It's amazing how slapping a spiked collar on a dog, handing the leash to an actor and agitating him in a movie can 'morph' a beloved breed into Satan's Spawn in the eyes of a general public that doesn't know better. Rotts of course aren't the most recent breed to suffer the wrath of bad PR, but the stigma remains for decades.Bottom line is, Rotts are terrific dogs. As long as you're a responsible, competent owner who understands the committment involved in shaping a dog who can be an ambassador for the breed, educating your friends along the way, go for it. You won't be sorry!Just do your homework and make sure you deal with breeders and trainers who have the same best interest of the breed at heart.

• I had a lady go off on me while my step-children were walking our Rottie at the campgrounds.Mind you this was a very gentle dog and was not doing anything. The woman walked by and said to the kids, oh you think you are so tough with that dog. Mind you they were holding a plastic bag to pick up her poop with. Nothing terribly tough acting about that.Rotties are going to have a stigma because they are the number two breed in fatal attacks, behind Pit Bulls.You can not get away from those kind of statistics.I have had two Rotties, both rescues, both nice dogs.My trainer raises Rotties, my close friend has three of them. I love the breed.I however can not be blind to the fact that there are a lot of people who should not have them. With their power, they only need to get mad for a short time for it to be a tragedy. The good thing about Rotties is that they have not been bred to kill things, they are a drover/herder, they are a real working dog, so you are not dealing with that inherent desire to kill that you have in Pit Bulls.My friend who had a Rottie, was going to get another one, but because she has children she was afraid of what the kids FRIENDS parents were going to think.There is that much stigma. You have to have a thick skin.

• Rottweilers are wonderful dogs, and can be extremely gentle loving pets. It makes me sad that they still have the aggressive dog stigma like pit bulls, dobermans, and chows. Unfortunately, like those other breeds, oftentimes people get them because of their fierce reputation, then mistreat or neglect them so they'll be "tough" guard dogs. You don't have to be mean to a dog to make it protective of its territory. (Chihuahuas bite far more often than rottweilers or pitbulls, but their attacks never make the local news, because they're incapable of inflicting as much damage.)If you raise a rottweiler with love and discipline, you won't have any problems. Just be sure to put lots of time into the training and socialization, and give your dog generous exercise time/ walks every day.

• The only aggressive Rottweilers I've ever seen were brought into the vet clinic I used to work by a pair of hicks. They were poorly-bred, poorly socialized junk, a male and a female - the male had to be muzzled and sat on by his owner in order to give it vaccines, and the female - also muzzled - growled the entire time. The icing on the cake, as I was informed, was that the morons had bred the two dogs, and were expecting more poorly bred puppies out of two animals that should *never* have reproduced.Every other Rott I've met has been well-bred and owned by someone who knew how to train a dog. They've all been wonderful, sweet dogs.My point is this: If you're going to buy a Rott, get one from a responsible breeder. Genetics plays a HUGE role in temperament.

• I have a nine month old rottie that we got from a friend who could no longer keep her because the apartment building he lives out considered them problem dogs. We got her at 12 wks from him and we have been doing obedience training since that time, she is wonderful, very well behaved. But a lot of people are put off by her until they meet her. They are very opposing dogs, they are big and have a bad rep because of irresponsible pet owners. I would say go for it if you are willing to put the time in, but rescue there are a lot of rotties on death row because of that stigma. I wish I could have another one, but we all ready have another dog, an amstaff, another kind of wonderful dog with a bad stigma.

• I'm thinking about getting a rottweiler, and a lot of people i've told have reacted strangely, as if i've told them i'm planning to adopt a serial killer or something. Can anybody here tell me of their experiences with this breed? Personally i think that as long as they are trained correctly from the start there should be no problems..