Any tips on bringing a new puppy home?

Hi, I pick up my 8 week old female Border Collie/Kelpie/Cattle Dog who I adopted from the pound. Do you have any tips I should know? I have been researching a lot but am wondering if you have any tips from your own experience.Thanks

Hi, I pick up my 8 week old female Border Collie/Kelpie/Cattle Dog who I adopted from the pound. Do you have any tips I should know? I have been researching a lot but am wondering if you have any tips from your own experience.Thanks...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Any tips on bringing a new puppy home?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Any tips on bringing a new puppy home?

Any tips on bringing a new puppy home? Dog Breed Discussions
      Hi, I pick up my 8 week old female Border Collie/Kelpie/Cattle Dog who I adopted from the pound. Do you have any tips I should know? I have been researching a lot but am wondering if you have any tips from your own experience.Thanks

Any tips on bringing a new puppy home? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Have some toys around. have your house clean.Show her outside (to pee) and where the food and water bowls are.Make sure there isnt a lot of yelling going on in your house, or she will end up being afraid of people. Just make her feel comfortable and hold her and give her treats and stuff:)

• The first night you bring a puppy home, don't let her sleep with you, let her sleep in a kennel. Do this because dogs need their own area and you won't want them to rely on your bed. Also it will teach them at a young age to be independent. I know if i brought home a puppy for the first night i would want her to sleep with me instead of the kennel! haha but that is not the right way :/.

• Yes -- make sure you keep her on the same food as they are feeding her in the kennels, and wait a few weeks to change it if you want to do so. Then change over very gradually taking at least a week to do so.Try not to have too much going on in the house. If you have people wanting to visit then get them to wait a few days until she is settled a little. Stress can give her the runs so keep it as stress free as possible, and also anything that really scares her now can last with her, so introduce things slowly.Texas rott - that's a really good piece you put up on house training. I copied it off a while ago when you put it up. Good to review now and again.

• House TrainingHouse training your dog is simple if you follow a few basic rules. Remember that puppies younger than 10 to 12 weeks have little control. Accidents will always happen when teaching puppies to be clean in the house. Be kind and patient, and reward handsomely all outdoor elimination. Always remember that dogs do what works for them. Make outdoor pottying work really well for your puppy.1) The puppy must have NO time unsupervised in your home. NONE. If you are not directly watching the puppy, it should be in the crate, or outside in a safe area. You MUST watch the puppy at ALL times when loose in the house. Use baby gates, crates, or tie the leash to your belt.2) The puppy should sleep inside the crate by your bedside. This way you can hear if the puppy should happen to need to go out during the night.3) You must go WITH the puppy outside for ALL trips for elimination. You must have treats with you. When the puppy is urinating, say "GO PEE PEE" in a nice praise tone of voice the entire time. When she is finished, pop the treat into her mouth at once, and praise praise praise. This should be something she gets at no other time, like tiny pieces of string cheese or boiled chicken. Same for defecation. Say "GO POOP" while she is going, and food reward and praise afterwards. You must observe and reward ALL outdoor potty time. 4) Keep a schedule. Feed at the same time, and walk outside at the same times. Your pup needs at least 4 trips outdoors each day, and 5 is probably better. Pup needs to go out at wake up time, lunch time, 4-5 PM, after dinner or any other meals, and before bed. Younger puppies may need to go out much more often.5) Use a key word each time you go out. I say "Let's go out!!" in a happy tone of voice each time I'm opening the door to go out with the dog.6) If you catch the puppy IN THE ACT of eliminating in your house, CLAP YOUR HANDS, say AH AH, OUTSIDE!! And immediately rush her outside. If she finishes there, do your usual food reward and praise.The keys to getting your dog reliably housetrained are:SUPERVISION: NO loose time in the house if you are not watchingREWARDS: ALL outdoor elimination MUST be observed and rewarded. If you only do this ONE thing, your puppy will get housetrained.PATIENCE: Anger and punishment have no place in dog training. Elimination is a natural and pleasurable experience for your dog. You can teach her to not soil your house, but punishment will NOT help. It will only teach the dog to hide when she needs to eliminate.If you have applied these techniques carefully for 4 weeks and you are still finding spots or piles after the fact, it's time for stronger measures. Roll up a newspaper and fasten both ends with a rubber band. Keep it handy. The very next time you find a spot of a pile that the dog has left behind, whip out that newspaper, and hit YOURSELF over the head firmly several times as you repeat "I FORGOT TO WATCH MY PUPPY".Works every time.:DThis article copyright 2004/2007, RedyreRottweilers. Free for unlimited distribution as long as copyright info remains intact.

• You just make me so happy that you Saved dogs life. Thank YOU!Have the house clean, And everything chew-able picked up. Bend down to the ground and see what the puppies will see, and pick up the things that they can get too.Take something new to her when you pick her up and take something familiar from the litter (if they will give you it) or something!While you are driving her home (If you are driving) Have her in the Passenger seat right next beside you. Or in your lap.When you get home just sit down and try to play with her, if she doesn't want to play just hold her in your lap and she will come out of her shell. (if she is scared)And feed her a treat or two, just cut a small part off of it and feed her it in your hand and she will soon start feeling safe. :D Good luck!!