How much money would you need to have a rottweiler not counting the price of the puppy?

i have 2 puppies. One is 5 months, the other one 9 months. They are both in the medium size range. I had the trouble of spending way too much money in food. What i do now (after a bit of research) is cooking for them. I can guarantee you that its dead…

How much money would you need to have a rottweiler not counting the price of the puppy?

i have 2 puppies. One is 5 months, the other one 9 months. They are both in the medium size range. I had the trouble of spending way too much money in food. What i do now (after a bit of research) is cooking for them. I can guarantee you that its dead…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How much money would you need to have a rottweiler not counting the price of the puppy?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How much money would you need to have a rottweiler not counting the price of the puppy?

How much money would you need to have a rottweiler not counting the price of the puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
      i have 2 puppies. One is 5 months, the other one 9 months. They are both in the medium size range. I had the trouble of spending way too much money in food. What i do now (after a bit of research) is cooking for them. I can guarantee you that its dead cheap and VERY healthy (despite what a lot of people will tell you on here....). I cook a lot of minced chicken, beef, turkey, lamb, whatever is cheaper really. I usually buy 10kg. I mix heaps of veggies (fresh or frozen, whatever is cheaper....) I also mix it with canned veggies (3 beans mix is great as well as peas, carrots....), i also put in liquid gravy, ginger powder (very good for worms prevention), dried spices such as rosemary, parsley (good for bad doggy breath), oregano. For taste i put in about 2 tb of tomato paste. I then freeze the lot into boxes. Also, make sure they get their egg every week for shiny coats and great skin (not the white bit though....) They love it and its dead healthy and its super packed with vitamins and minerals. I also go to the butcher for nice meaty bones. They are the cheapest thing around and they fill their need for chewing as well as cleaning they teeth (chicken necks are the best for cleaning teeth. they can be freezed) They may cause constipation though so just give them one 2 times a week or so. I avoid the canned crap not only because in the long run (especially rottis) will cost you a fortune, but also because you never know whats inside. I'm with the idea that if its not suitable for me, its not suitable for them. Now this is the food stuff. When it comes to vet then thats a different story but shots are not super mega expensive. Puppies only need 3 of them and then after that its once a year. Of course, you have to get him spayed. But its a one time thing and thats it. You can get big 6 months packs for fleas and worms so you'll be allright for half a year (ebay is the place for that). I dont get groomers or dog sitters or anything like that. I'm the one caring for them or a friend if really needed. All they need at the end of the day is knowing they are loved and feeded properly. THey do require time but not a lot of it as people might say. Im at work all day and they are outside in the garden playing and chillin. When i get home i then take them out for a good run. They are very happy and they love us to bits. No doubt about it. Having a dog is easy as long as you go with the flow and as long as you have time and space for it too. You'll love having one!!

How much money would you need to have a rottweiler not counting the price of the puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Large bag of large breed dog food (a good brand to minimise the amount fed, and promote joint health): $60-100Pet Insurance!!!!!: Not sure how much but please get some! Rotties, being a large breed, are prone to ACL ruptures (knee surgery!) and it is VERY expensive to fix it! My sister's rottie blew both of his at the same time.Veterinary care: vaccines, neuter/spay, health checks, illness: $0 - thousands (unless you have insurance!)Toys, leashes, SUV to haul him in, dog obedience lessons, etc: $75000Having a dog that loves you unconditionally, hogs the bed, gets hair all over the house and you, digs holes in the garden, chases the ball over and over and over and over again, looks big and tough but cries when he gets his vaccine.....priceless.Have so much fun, but know what you're getting into! Getting insurance is a great idea, or putting money aside in an account every month for expenses is great too. Good quality food means he'll eat less of it (more good stuff to digest) and also poop less out (more good stuff to digest!). Obedience lessons are a really great idea because he's a rottie and you don't want to give anyone a chance to blame him for aggression. Vaccines are a must, as rotties are also prone to Parvo virus, which is a gastro enteric virus that can kill puppies, and is VERY miserable to have, as well as expensive. The SUV may be overkill, but he'll need lots of exercise to make sure he's in good shape and lessen the chance of the ACL rupture. Also, there are too many fat rotties out there!Good luck!

• The first year: 9 week puppy shots $35 - $50 depending on vet 12 week puppy shots $35 - $50 depending on vet 16 weeks rabies shot $7 - $40 depending on where you go Heartworm preventative $40 - $100 per year depending on size of dog & type of preventative Collar $5 - $20 Leash $5 - $20 Toys (puppies and dogs need a variety) Fleece man $5 - $7 ea Rope Toy $2 - $5 ea Ball $1 - $5 ea Various chews $2 - $10ea Crate $25 - $150 depending on size and type Food $15 - $30 (per bag for good, premium food – cost per year will vary based on dog) Puppy Classes $45 - $125 per session Basic Obedience Classes $45 - $125 per session Spay/Neuter $75 - $150 based on gender and size of dog So depending on your individual expenses, you could easily spend $300 - $900 on your puppy the first year alone. You can easily exceed the cost of the pup you paid for. So, that cheap little pup one had to find is really not a cheap little pup!Other expenses: Grooming… Do you have a breed that may require professional grooming? Depending on where you go, the size of the dog and type of grooming, you can pay as little as $30 or over $100. And depending on how often you have the dog groomed, expect to pay this as often as every four weeks. Security… The safest way to confine a dog to a yard is with a barrier fence. Tying up is cheaper but dangerous. Depending on the size of area to be fenced, the cost can be as little as a few hundred dollars or thousands. Even electric fences can cost a couple hundred dollars and they are not as safe as barrier fencing. Boarding/Pet Sitting… Do you travel? What of you cannot take your dog with you? Boarding can cost as little as $10 a night at your vet or over $100 for a luxury kennel. Even if you have a relative watch the dog, it is still nice to give them something for their efforts. If you spend that average of $600 per year and your dog lives to be 15 years, the cost of the dog is $9,000. If you add in emergencies, illness, medications, if you are involved with canine sports, the cost can be easily over $10,000. Now you know the true cost of that dog. But for many, and myself included, the cost is worth it and we accept it as part of being a responsible dog owner!

• please note i'm using canadian dollarsfigure on the following- vet bills (shots, pills, flea meds) 500 bucks- spay/neuter 150-400 bucks- food 120 a month (good food)- supplies (leashes, collers, muzzle) 40 bucks- treats 25 bucks a month- training (at least) 300 bucks- dog tags/dog license (at least) 50 bucks a year- miscelanious (pet sitters, kennels) 100 bucks a year- pet insurance (around) 15 bucks, and up, per monthbut most important lots of time and cuddles and that's free

• ok...leash: $3.00collar: $3.00food & water dishes: $6.00food: $10 a bag (about once or twice a month)toys: $4.00 eachvet care: anywhere between $50-$1000total: about $30:00 for main stuffvet bill variesgood luck!

• This is a great site with a lot of information on what all associated costs are when keeping a dog as a pet.http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1671&articleid=1543Congratulations on your new puppy!

• it depends on how old it is, they r big dogs, take alot of responsibility, and eat alot. i had a golden retriver for about 13 years and over the time, we spent about 40-60 dollars a month on food, toys, etc. and this is not counting the months that we had to take him to the vet. good luck with ur new dog!

• Having a dog is like having a child.. If you are in no financial position to raise a child, you are in no position to raise a dog either.Food, shots, medical checkups and other medical appts. Dog house (as needed) doggie sitter, when you go out of down.Carpet and house cleaning after a while of doggy dirt and mess. Doggy toys, leashes, doggy training, etc etc etc.Ask yourself if you can afford to have a baby, and that will answer your question.