at what age can a dog have puppies?

i have a dog who is 6 months old kelpie/bordie collie and i also have a german shepherd who is 1 year and a bit, and the shepherd keeps trying to mate with the pup.What are the outcomes.

i have a dog who is 6 months old kelpie/bordie collie and i also have a german shepherd who is 1 year and a bit, and the shepherd keeps trying to mate with the pup.What are the outcomes....
    Dog Breed Discussions : at what age can a dog have puppies?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• at what age can a dog have puppies?

at what age can a dog have puppies? Dog Breed Discussions
      i have a dog who is 6 months old kelpie/bordie collie and i also have a german shepherd who is 1 year and a bit, and the shepherd keeps trying to mate with the pup.What are the outcomes.

at what age can a dog have puppies? Dog Breed Discussions
    • an expensive to you pile of mutts if you dont get them fixed soon. It costs a lot of money to feed puppies then you have to give them to the pound and pay a turn in fee for each puppy, or advertise them which costs too. its cheaper to get them fixed and not worry.

• Be careful, anywhere between 6 months and 10 months they will come into heat. If you do want puppies, its best to wait until mom is 2 years old. She'll make a better parent. I've also been told when the opposite sex is around, then they come into heat earlier. Probably not going to help with the german shepherd is trying.

• dog's can have puppies as early as 1 years old but if you care about the health of your pet i would say wait till she is at least 2 years of age that way she is mature and it may not hurt her as much

• whenever the puppy goes in to heat! and are they both girls, boy and girl?? if the puppy is a girl and went in to heat then she is old enough to have puppies...if they are both girls your German shep. is just showing shes the alpha B****

• For heaven's sake, get at least one of them fixed!!And it is very possible to have pups at 6 months, but not at all recommended. You can tell if a female is in heat if their behind is swollen. They should not be allowed to have pups til at least 1 year of age, and with larger breeds, 11/2 years. They should be fully grown(larger breeds still grow 11/2years or more) so as to be large enough to give birth with more ease. Please get your dogs fixed!!There are not enough homes!!!

• A dog CAN have puppies when she goes into her first heat. A mixed breed dog, SHOULD NOT have puppies ever. Even a purebred dog should not be bred before it reaches 2 years of age. The pounds are already overflowing with too many unwanted animals. Please, get your puppy spayed before she goes into her first heat. It will be healthier for her and it will lower her risk for several types of cancer as well.

• your pup could get pregnant right now but physically and psychologically she is not ready until 14-18 months of age. if you let her get pregnant now, the pups and herself could suffer and even die.you said your shepherd keeps 'trying' to mate? have they actually had a full mating? if they have, it may be to late to stop a pregnancy although there are alternatives if your pups life is at risk.have her spayed as quickly as possible. if she's not pregnant yet, she will be soon if you don't do something. also neuter the male. it can help lessen the risk of cancer for both dogs.good luck

• Please spay your female and neuter your male. Spaying and neutering helps to control the pet population. Millions of healthy animals are euthanized every year because of pet overpopulation. Don't contribute to pet overpopulation. Visit an animal shelter sometimes and see what those poor animals must go through every day.

• A dog can go into her first heat cycle as early as 4 months of age and can be inpregnated at this time. Better get her fixed....any extra mating behaviors from your male dog could trigger her to start heat so I suggest get it done ASAP.