This is going to sound horrible sorry. My dog is pregnant. Do I desex her, or let her have the puppies?

I don't want to have to make a decision like this, but I couldn't bear the thought of the puppies coming into this world and being miserable if they go to bad homes. They will be kelpie cross cattle dog, and I hate the way the majority of farmers treat…

This is going to sound horrible sorry. My dog is pregnant. Do I desex her, or let her have the puppies?

I don't want to have to make a decision like this, but I couldn't bear the thought of the puppies coming into this world and being miserable if they go to bad homes. They will be kelpie cross cattle dog, and I hate the way the majority of farmers treat…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : This is going to sound horrible sorry. My dog is pregnant. Do I desex her, or let her have the puppies?...

• I had to make that decision, when my german shepard got a hold of my chihuahua/beagle mix! By the time she was 2 weeks into gestation, she was HUGE...I took her to the vet, and had her desexed, and the puppies were lost as a result. She would have never carried full term, and I could have lost HER! She's 15 years old now, and although old, no hearing, almost hairless because of allergies, she still sleeps with me nightly, and she's been a comfort through all my bad times!I can't tell you what to do...but you'll always feel guilty if you find out even one of those puppies goes to a bad home later down the road. So I guess you have to decide...guilt now, or later? Not an easy thing to deal with, and I sympathize with you!

• I can relate to what your saying. Dont kill the puppies, Yes by the way to the other posters, Dogs can get abortions they just preform the spay while preg and remove the pups and all. I can give wonderful suggestions to finding them the right home. 1. Ask for referances including a vet referance. 2. Meet the people, Interview them. Do NOT let the pups go the first day. 3. check the home. It would be best if you could do a home visit. 4. Make a contract, Make them sign it. Otherwise the next best thing is a Kelpie or Cattle dog Rescue. Make sure there reputable. Breed rescues do all the above and make sure the puppies get good homes. So that way you dont have to worry about if the pups will have bad homes as they would do all the hard work for you. Trust me they dont let there dogs go to just anyone!

• There are a number of veterinarians who will not, for ethical reasons, spay a pregnant dog. Those who will only do so while the female is in the early stages of pregnancy, so it's imperative that you make a decision as soon as possible. Keep in mind that the gestation of a dog is only 63 days, so you're cutting it very close.I've been a veterinary technician for years, and I've only assisted on three 'canine abortions'. It's painful for the owner, but the dog is none the wiser. You should realize that puppy's cannot be adopted out until they are six weeks of age, and you'll have a lot of responsibility during those six weeks. If you're not prepared for that responisibility, I don't think you'd be a bad person for spaying your dog. There are enough dogs in this world who need homes. I would strongly recommend that you spay your next dog in a timely matter, to save you this stress and pain.

• ok listen, i am a breeder of chiuahua puppies(however u spell it) ne way, i wouldn't desex her, let her have the puppies, i assure u they will go to good homes!!! you can always tell about the person when u meet them and start talkin to them, if u don't like the person u don't have to sale it to that person. But trust me u'll always know!! And besides when they'er born and get a little older, u'll pobably fall in love with one ur self, and u'll find it hard to give up. if u want to get them sold fast, put flyers up everywhere, put a notice in the paper, they'll be sure to go in a matter of days or weeks. Dogs r so precious i love them all and i would hate to see such cute and innocent puppies be put to sleep, But after all this is ur decision not mine. But i hope u don't!!! Good Luck to u!!! P.S when it comes time to meet a buyer just be observant, the more observant u r the better!!!

• As I read thru the answers already given,most of them agree, as do I, to let her have her pups. Then after the pups are weaned and before she goes into heat again, usually once every six months, have her spayed. You can't desex her, she will always be a girl dog, but you can have the equivalent of a hysterectomy (spaying), to prevent future litters. In my experience, I have found that most female dogs are much calmer and make better pets if allowed to have at least one litter. Aborting the pups at that stage may be dangerous for your dog, you would need to discuss it with your vet. If you end up turning the pups over to a shelter to be adopted out, make sure the shelter is a "no kill" shelter. Some shelters go ahead and put down dogs, pups, cats, kittens, etc., if they aren't adopted after a period of time. My local paper allows you to place "free pet" ads in the want ads as long as it is just what the animal is and a phone number. You can prescreen people over the phone to a certain extent, and if you don't like the sound of the caller you don't have to give your address. As for farmers, you must have had a bad experience, but as one of the other answerers pointed out, most farmers and ranchers depend on their dogs to alert to predators on the property and helping in rounding up stray animals, etc. They are considered a part of the family and an asset of the farm or ranch. They are usually treated extremely well.

• I know exactly how you feel. i breed catahoula leopard dogs, which get used as hunting and cattle dogs on the ranches out here in west texas (out here people treat their dogs better than their human employees!). We had to have this done to one of our females. Her last litter was 11 pups, and we took her for an ultrasound and we counted 18 this time! We did this at our vets suggestion (sigh of relied and sad at the same time). 11 was too hard on her and 18 would probably kill her. Don't worry about all of the people on here telling you your awful for doing it. I think that you are being responsible and trying to do what is right for everyhting involved. everyone who says screen the people that you give the dogs too has obviously never had the pleasure of dealing with an unplanned doggie pregnancy. It is a lot easier said than done and if oyu require too much information from a possible owner, it is a turnoff and they will jsut get a dog from somewhere else! As for the chihuahua breeders advice, ignore it...if they cant spell it they shouldnt be breeding them!! There are plenty of good dogs in the world as it is that need homes, why bring more into the world if you are that unsure. LOL readers please direct your hate mail to [email protected] =)one thing that i would note is that I would call your vet and ask if you could have it done asap and then pay for it in installments (give a balance at the time of the work and then pay the rest when you have the money). most vets are good about this, esp if you explain your situation. the sooner this is done, the better it is for the dog and the less complicated it will be for the vet. good luck!

• Please don't kill the pups. You could contact the companion animal people to come & look or give them the pups. Also, contact the local police dept. or State Police in your area for them to become police dogs if they qualify with attention etc. Everything happens for a reason but don't kill the pups. I think you could find homes for them.