Would feeding EVO Red Meat to my german shepherd be a good choice?

Would this be a good brand for a VERY active working German Shepherd? I'm getting a German shepherd puppy from a breeder who feeds raw food. I'm not planning on feeding raw ( I have my reasons ), but was told that EVO is the closest dry food to raw.

Would this be a good brand for a VERY active working German Shepherd? I'm getting a German shepherd puppy from a breeder who feeds raw food. I'm not planning on feeding raw ( I have my reasons ), but was told that EVO is the closest dry food to raw....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Would feeding EVO Red Meat to my german shepherd be a good choice?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Would feeding EVO Red Meat to my german shepherd be a good choice?

Would feeding EVO Red Meat to my german shepherd be a good choice? Dog Breed Discussions
      Would this be a good brand for a VERY active working German Shepherd? I'm getting a German shepherd puppy from a breeder who feeds raw food. I'm not planning on feeding raw ( I have my reasons ), but was told that EVO is the closest dry food to raw.

Would feeding EVO Red Meat to my german shepherd be a good choice? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Yes, evo is a fantastic food and it is the closest thing to a raw diet (high in protein and no grain) exactly what you want in a dog food because any type of grain is a filler with no nutritional value. However not all dogs can handle the high protein. keep an eye on your dogs stool. diarrhea is normal when first switching a dog to a new food, but if it does not improve within a few days to a week then the protein level is too high. If this is the case then just switch to a lower protein gran free kibble such as Taste of the Wild. When transitioning your dog to kibble some people mix raw in with it. this is NOT a good idea because kibble takes 10 hours to digest and raw takes only 2, so if you mix them together your dog will be bloated and very gassy.good job on choosing a great quality kibble!ps. another way to treat diarrhea is too put some pure canned pumpkin in with their kibble (not pumpkin pie mix)

• EVO red meat is great for a ADULT Shepherd. But NOT suitable for a puppy. The calcium:phosphorus ratio is too high and can actually stunt a large breed puppy's growth. I recommend regular Innova Large Breed Puppy formula until your Shepherd is 14-16 months old, and then you can switch to something grain free. This is how all my Shepherds were/are raised. EVO is really REALLY high in protein, and some GSD's tend to have sensitive stomachs and can not handle the high protein and fat. Wellness Core Taste of the WildOrijen These are three top quality grain free foods that are a little lower in protein and fat so it is easier on the stomach, but still excellent foods for high drive working dogs.